New To All Of This And Need Help!!

Johnson Party of 6

Hello! We are new to this and found our 5th cache today! We have a Sportrek Map. For the first 2 caches it worked great, but both of those were out in the open, not under trees. However, the last 3 were under thick trees and our gps said we were no where near where the cache was when we found it. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a new gps? I read an above post about primary and secondary something... and I am very confused! I didn't do any of that stuff to set mine up. And I should add that my father has a Vista and for 2 of the 3 caches his was right on the money. Is Vista just better? And what is satellite lock? How do you know if that is happening and can you fix it? Sorry for so many ???. Just anxious to get this right.

You GPS will have a satalite map screen. The vista will color in black which satalites it's got 'locked'. Your sport track should do something similar. The signal strength is normally indicated by a bar for each satalite it's tracking. The taller the bar the better the signals.

Magellans have what is called the boomerang effect. What that means is that because the magellan tends to average the last several readings it takes together. For whatever reason that translates into as you stand over the cache the GPS will tell you that you still have a ways to go. If you actually go you overshoot the cache then as the GPS moving average catches up it tells you to go back to where the cache was at. The Vista doesn't do this so it might seem more accurate.

The Sport trak has a better antanea for use under tree cover. It should be noticably better (noticably isn't by a wide margin though) under tree cover than the vista. Also if after you are done signign the log etc. your GPS and the Vista should read roughtly the same distance off. It's normal for one or the other to be a little more off but on average you should find they are about the same.