Bought A Sportrek Map. Bad Decision?

We are new to caching and were deciding btw a Garmin legend, and the sportrek map. We went with the sportrek map. We have only been on 5 caches so far, and out of the 5, the gps distance was way off for 3 of them. Is this normal? They were really wooded areas, but we are now wondering if we should have gone with the Legend, or maybe this is normal for all gps? Or maybe normal for the inexpensive models? So, do we return for the Legend or keep what we have?

Mary Johnson

30-40 feet off can be common with any GPS. Realize that the placer of the cache probably had 18 feet accuracy on his GPS, so in the wost case scenario, the cache would have been placed 18 feet from where it says it is. Now if the geocacher tries looking for that cache and has an accuracy of 15 feet, theoretically that person could be 33 feet from the actual cache! These cases are rare, but can happen.

95% of the time you'll usually get within 15-20 feet of the actual cache though.

I have a Sporttrak Pro and have been very satisfied with it. The averaging this unit performs on position readings does take some getting used to. When you first make a large movement to a place, the readings may be off substantially. Over the next few minutes you should see the readings continue to change and eventually stabilize as the averaging completes. I have found the readings at this point to be very accurate. Small movements (a few feet) average in much more quickly.

I overlooked that you mentioned you were in wooded areas. That can decrease the satellite signal strength, and hence the accuracy of your fix. 70 feet is not the greatest, but in heavy foliage it's a keeper. I used to lose lock frequently in the woods with my eTrex Venture.

70 feet off under a clear sky would be substandard.

The SporTrak series is very accurate. While there is a slingshot effect to content with, the averaging makes it a very accurate unit.

I've taken to getting near a cache and putting the unit in one spot. I either clip it to a tree limb or my walking stick or prop it up somewhere. I then use a compass and its bearing readings to zero in on the cache--or rather the coordinates. It helps to do this if we're having problems finding the cache with the visual search method most cachers develop.

We now are using two SporTraks in most of our hunts. These units can have wildly different readings as we approach the site--as much as 75' difference between the two. Let them settle for a few minutes and they will point to the exact same spot.

Hope this helps.

There's a guy near me that puts the unit in his pocket while he is hiking to the cache. Not a good idea. It loses lock and gets less accurate.

What is your accuracy (EFE) rating while at these caches? Because it was in his pocket, he was at 70-90 feet. :back:

he has since been corrected. electric shock works best. :lol:

Hi,

I love my Sportrak...it gets me closer to most caches than seems possible...I literally tend to find the cache at my feet or in a 6 foot circle...this may just be luck, but I'm happy to give the Sportrak credit.

nfa

Don't blame your GPS for being off when you are searching for caches hidden in the woods. It very well may be the fault of the environment or possibly the hider's coordinates. Even if you are getting a strong signal on the day you are hunting doesn't mean the hider was. Read the logs to see if other people complained about the coords being off. That's a hint that you need to increase your search area. Look for alternate coordinates that may have been posted by previous finders.

I have a Meridian Platinum, a Sportrak Pro and a Sportrak Color and have been very happy with all of them. (My Platinum wasn't very happy with me though, when I slammed the read car door on it.)

--Marky