Mosquito Repellent

Also avoid the following:

Dark Clothing - Many mosquitoes use vision to locate hosts from a distance. Dark clothes and foliage are initial attractants.

Carbon Dioxide - You give off more carbon dioxide when you are hot or have been exercising.

Lactic Acid - You release more lactic acid when you have been exercising or after eating certain foods such as salty foods or high-potassium foods.

Off! Deep Woods for Sportsmen 95% DEET.

I started using it 3 weeks ago and am mosquito bite and - more important - tick free since then. Before that 1 tick on me per caching trip was common...

Be careful with the high % DEET formulations. First off, they are not safe for small children, and secondly they will "melt" plastics that they come in contact with. I prefer the lower concentrations and just re-apply more often.

old campers dirty trick..

dont eat bananas. whats the dirty trick? if you eat a banana your skin will exude a scent that attracts mosquitos. wanna make your buddies life miserable before the hike, give em' a banana!

as far as skin lotions and sprays.. i use deep woods off. it works great but deet isnt good for you and it does eat plastics. get "off" (not like that you perves) on your hands and touch your gps, now you have some nasty marks on your gps. touch the clear plastic window and it ends up hazed.

latest thing i heard from this side of the pond is that if you eat marmite, which is a sandwich spread made from brewers yeast, the various stuff in it comes out in your sweat and puts off mossies. not tried it myself but who knows, could try garlic for the same reason. keeps people away so why not insects.

DEET wins hands down but there is a caviat to its use. Don't put it directly on your skin. Apply it to your clothing only. From what I've read it has different effects on people but none of them are good. It will work just as well when applied to your clothes though.

Take care.

DEET wins hands down but there is a caviat to its use. Don't put it directly on your skin. Apply it to your clothing only. From what I've read it has different effects on people but none of them are good. It will work just as well when applied to your clothes though.

Take care.

Some corrections to my previous post. I went to the EPA web site and got their instructions. I was wrong about only applying it to your clothes. From the Governments site,

Read and follow all directions and precautions on this product label.

Do not apply over cuts, wounds, or irritated skin.

Do not apply to hands or near eyes and mouth of young children.

Do not allow young children to apply this product.

Use just enough repellent to cover exposed skin and/or clothing.

Do not use under clothing.

Avoid over-application of this product.

After returning indoors, wash treated skin with soap and water.

Wash treated clothing before wearing it again.

Use of this product may cause skin reactions in rare cases. The following additional statements will appear on the labels of all aerosol and pump spray formulation labels:

Do not spray in enclosed areas.

To apply to face, spray on hands first and then rub on face. Do not spray directly onto face.

And from their FAQ:

What benefits do DEET products offer?

DEET's most significant benefit is its ability to repel potentially disease-carrying insects and ticks. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) receives nearly 10,000 reports of Lyme disease (transmitted by deer ticks) and 1,000 reports of encephalitis (transmitted by mosquitoes) annually. Both of these diseases can cause serious health problems or even death in the case of encephalitis. Where these diseases are endemic, the CDC recommends use of insect repellents when out-of-doors. Studies submitted to EPA indicate that DEET repels ticks for about three to eight hours, depending on the percentage of DEET in the product.

I have tick-borne chronic disseminated Lyme disease and neuroborreliosis (yeah, and it's worse than it sounds), and I blame it on having relied on that no-good citronella herbal crap. All I can say is DEET--the higher the percentage, the better. :rolleyes: Unless you want IV antibiotics twice a day for a year.

Edited by prettynwitty

You might have been confusing DEET with permethrin repellents which are only supposed to be applied to clothing.

For total protection, apply a permethrin repellent to your clothing and DEET to your skin. Ultrathon has proven to be the best DEET based repellent in tests that I've seen. It's controlled release and the the mfr. claims the cream is good for 12 hours of protection and the spray is good for 6 hours.

It isn't cheap, but a little goes a long way. The small tube of Ultrathon cream that I purchased for $9 has lasted a 5 trips and is still half full.

To apply to face, spray on hands first and then rub on face.

:P

dadgum lawsuits/lawyers. :rolleyes:

I imagine what they intended was that you clean your hands after using. So don't leave it applied to the palms of your hands, but it's not dangerous to get it on them. And it would be the preferred method to apply to an areas such as your face.

Deep Woods Off 25% DEET applied every 4 hours I'm out there, or more if I'm sweating it off faster. I know it isn't designed for clothing but I still dose my shirt at the arm and neck openings and my socks and shoes. almost completely tick free for a year now. One was trying to cling to my sock yesterday and wobbled like a drunken cacher with bad signal before I flicked him away.

I tried Natrapel this weekend, it's one of those

no-good citronella herbal crap
formulas. It worked well for me but I had to re-apply about twice as often as the guys that were using deet based products. Some observations from the trip, Deep Woods Off spray needed almost as many applications as the Natrapel product. Deep Woods Off Lotion needed about half as many applications. The Cutters 100% Deet worked the best, although the guy that used that is still sitting in his Land Cruiser since his hands are welded to the steering wheel.

:rolleyes:

latest thing i heard from this side of the pond is that if you eat marmite, which is a sandwich spread made from brewers yeast, the various stuff in it comes out in your sweat and puts off mossies. not tried it myself but who knows, could try garlic for the same reason. keeps people away so why not insects.

Well, Marmite certainly repels me no problem, so I see no reason why it shouldn't do the same for mosquitos... Might work even better if you rubbed a little directly on your forearms! :rolleyes:

Largely the human side effects from DEET are an urban myth. Yes, there have been a small number of cases of reacting to it, but people getting west nile from mosquitoes is more common (and I'm not saying that's real common either, but it's definitely picking up). Personally, the deep woods off sportsman stuff if my preference. Never had a problem with it melting plastics, but I also don't spray it at plastics, and don't touch anything when it's still wet.

And for those that worry about side-effects from deet, keep in mind that deet's been in use for a long time with very few reports of side-effects, some of the other chemicals (which in general haven't been shown to be as effective as deet) haven't been around as long, and quite likely have similar or higher chances of causing side-effects, they're just not as well known yet.

... some of the other chemicals (which in general haven't been shown to be as effective as deet) haven't been around as long, and quite likely have similar or higher chances of causing side-effects, they're just not as well known yet.

Really good point. Remember just because something is natural doesn't mean it won't hurt you. The oil from poison oak is 100% all natural, hemlock is all natural, well you get the idea.

If you want to avoid the chemicals...

There is a line of clothing called Rynoskin.

Pretty cool stuff  :rolleyes:

That's a very interesting product. Thanks for the link, but have you actually tried the suits yourself? Any first hand testimonials?

Well... my brother has a set and so do many of my extended family that hunt. They all swear by it. I've been out of the hunting loop for a few years but I'm moving to a location that will change that and I do plan on buying a full set of gear from them.

Mosquito's aside, it's worth it to not have to look for ticks after a long day in the woods.

Also they say that you DO NOT sweat to death in the clothes...definitely a big plus...

When I get a set... I'll post my thoughts on them :P

This sound a little strange but I use Bounce dryer sheets. I take one sheet and put it in my pocket and one in a belt loop. The one in my pocket is just in case I lose the one in belt loop. I'm not quite sure why this works but it seems to.

I heard about this in April and have been putting a dryer sheet in my belt loop every time I go out since then, and have not been the lunch buffet for even one mosquito (yet).

Has anyone else heard of this?

I once had a fear of using Deet...but not anymore. It was either take a chance of dying from an allergic reaction to deet, or get West Nile Virus. Took my chance on Deet and much to my suprise I didn't drop dead!

Mosquitos around here have gotten to be the size of Apache helicopters. I really think I need ground to air missiles. <_<

El Diablo

This sound a little strange but I use Bounce dryer sheets. I take one sheet and put it in my pocket and one in a belt loop. The one in my pocket is just in case I lose the one in belt loop. I'm not quite sure why this works but  it seems to.

I heard about this in April and have been putting a dryer sheet in my belt loop every time I go out since then, and have not been the lunch buffet for even one mosquito (yet).

I have heard of this, and do use the Bounce dryer sheets with success! I hang them off my and my kids' belt loops or pockets, and dog's collar too, when the skeeters are thick. I also will rub the sheets on my clothes and hair. It does work. Granted, the mosquitoes here in WA state are no where near as bad as in other areas. But maybe for those really thickly infested areas, this could be in addition to your other skeeter arsenal.

I have heard that the dryer sheets contain some nasty chemicals, so I can't say it's a non-toxic way to go. But in my unscientific opinion, it's probably safer than some other stuff, lots cheaper, and you smell better too. <_<

This sound a little strange but I use Bounce dryer sheets. I take one sheet and put it in my pocket and one in a belt loop. The one in my pocket is just in case I lose the one in belt loop. I'm not quite sure why this works but  it seems to.

I have heard of this, and do use the Bounce dryer sheets with success! I hang them off my and my kids' belt loops or pockets, and dog's collar too, when the skeeters are thick. I also will rub the sheets on my clothes and hair. It does work. Granted, the mosquitoes here in WA state are no where near as bad as in other areas. But maybe for those really thickly infested areas, this could be in addition to your other skeeter arsenal.

I have heard that the dryer sheets contain some nasty chemicals, so I can't say it's a non-toxic way to go. But in my unscientific opinion, it's probably safer than some other stuff, lots cheaper, and you smell better too. <_<

Do you get laugh at also? People think I'm just kidding when I tell them I put the dryer sheet in my belt loop to chase away of skeeters.

Off! Deep Woods for Sportsmen 95% DEET.

I started using it 3 weeks ago and am mosquito bite and - more important - tick free since then. Before that 1 tick on me per caching trip was common...

Be careful with the high % DEET formulations. First off, they are not safe for small children, and secondly they will "melt" plastics that they come in contact with. I prefer the lower concentrations and just re-apply more often.

not true urban myth, this has never been proved,.

Take care.

Wrong, deet goes onto your skin

To apply to face, spray on hands first and then rub on face.

:back:

What they are saying is...don't apply it to the face or hands of children. They like to put their hands in their mouth, rub their eyes, etc.

Adults, on the other hand CAN use it on the face, but don't SPRAY it on the face. Apply it with your hands.

For those of you that didn't follow JohnnyVegas's links, New England Journal of Medicine reports:

OFF! Deep Woods (DEET 23.8%) - 301.5 min.

Sawyer Controlled Release (DEET 20%) - 234.4 min.

OFF! Skintastic (DEET 6.65%) - 112.4 min.

Bite Blocker for Kids (Soybean Oil 2%) - 94.6 min.

OFF! Skintastic for Kids (DEET 4.75%) - 88.4 min.

Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus (IR3535 7.5%) - 22.9 min.<

Natrapel (Citronella 10%) - 19.7 min.

Herbal Armor (Citronella 12%; peppermint oil 2.5%; other ingredients <2%) - 18.9 min.

Green Ban for People (Citronella 10%; peppermint oil 2%) - 14.0 min.

Buzz Away (Citronella 5%) - 13.5 min.

Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil (Uncertain) - 9.6 min.<li>

Skin-So-Soft Moisturizing Suncare (Citronella 0.05%) - 2.8 min.

Gone Original Wristband (DEET 9.5%) - 0.3 min.

Repello Wristband (DEET 9.5%) - 0.2 min.

Gone Plus Repelling Wristband (Citronella 25%) - 0.2 min.

For those of you that didn't follow JohnnyVegas's links, New England Journal of Medicine reports:

Very interesting stats you posted. I wish they also tried some higher level concentrations of DEET too, like Ben's 30% and 100% products.

Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus (IR3535 7.5%) - 22.9 min.<

Natrapel (Citronella 10%) - 19.7 min.

Herbal Armor (Citronella 12%; peppermint oil 2.5%; other ingredients <2%) - 18.9 min.

Green Ban for People (Citronella 10%; peppermint oil 2%) - 14.0 min.

Buzz Away (Citronella 5%) - 13.5 min.

Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil (Uncertain) - 9.6 min.<li>

Skin-So-Soft Moisturizing Suncare (Citronella 0.05%) - 2.8 min.

Gone Original Wristband (DEET 9.5%) - 0.3 min.

Repello Wristband (DEET 9.5%) - 0.2 min.

Gone Plus Repelling Wristband (Citronella 25%) - 0.2 min.

Those numbers came from someone applying the repellent and immersing themselves in a mosquito filled chamber. They indicate the amount of time it took for the first mosquito to bite. It certainly dispells the myth that Avon Skin-So-Soft works as a mosquito repellent.

Don't know if its true, but I've read tales were early settlers from the eastern seaboard used to ask the Indians along the Missouri River how they kept mosquitos from biting. The Indians would hand the European Immigrants plant leaves and said to rub your body with these leaves and the bugs won't be a problem any longer. Well, you probably guessed what happened next, the unsuspecting settlers contracted Poison Ivy rashes so bad that Mosquitos were no longer a concern.