False Rocks, And Electric Boxes?

I'm new to GEOCaching, heck I don't even have a GPS yet, I was doing some hunting on EBAY about geocaching and found some very strange ways to hide your cache. False rocks, false electric boxes, and reflectors with a micro cache attached. How common are these methods for hiding a Cache? I would imagine that it increases the diffculty in finding.

In the 78 caches I have found:

1 was a fake rock

1 was a fake electric box

4 were hidden by other extremely unique methods (don't want to give anything away!). :bad:

Containers like these are not ultra common but they are out there. ;) It makes finding the cache even more fun!

I've seen a couple of fake rocks, one reflector, two fake sticks, two fake sprinklers and a few other really creative hides. I haven't seen a fake electrical box. That idea makes me uneasy. I'd hate to see a cache seeker pry open a real electrical box thinking that it is fake and get zapped.

I think it depends on your area. Out of my 230+ finds, I've found 1 fake rock and one cache placed inside a plastic owl. That's it as far as uniquely camoed containers I've encountered. In some areas, particularly urban ones, they are a lot more common because caches have to be cleverly disguised or hidden to avoid mugglization.

Edited by briansnat

One fake rat with cache inside, one fake pipe, several sprinklers, just found a rock, pine cones and some that can't be mentioned since I value my life and must not give out the secret. I just figure if you can't find the cache, it could be right in front of you in a new container.

In my 340+ finds so far, I've found

2 rocks

1 magnetic breathmint container less than 3/4 inch square

1 hollowed out log

1 plastic rabitt

1 fake gravestone (very convincing)

2 bird houses

Numerous magnetic micros in purely evil locations that require absolute knowledge that putting your hand in "there" will find the cache

1 Airline first class goody bag

1 Pet/Medical info container

Inventive hiding places include:

In a naturally hollowed out tree at head height (at least 2 of these)

In a hollow tree stump 6 feet high that isn't clearly evident as hollow

In crumbled mortar lines in city centre stone walls

Magnetically attached to the back of a parking restriction sign

Under a lone rock in a field (took nearly 45 minutes to spot it)

Magnetic to the bottom of a mail box

on a wire in a tree, lowered by moving a weight hidden 20 feet away

I have also heard tell of pens, fake road marker posts, fake benchmarks, a 4x4 (real, not toy)

I recently came across a cache I actually had to go back a second time to find. It was disquised as a light bulb in a light with conduit and an electrical box running to it. In the electrical box was a fishing reel with a line that ran up the conduit to the light. Releasing the line allowed you to retrieve the cache. Then cranking the reel put it back in it's place. VERY INVENTIVE!!!!!

Edited by texastracker
I recently came across a cache I actually had to go back a second time to find. It was disquised as a light bulb in a light with conduit and an electrical box running to it. In the electrical box was a fishing reel with a line that ran up the conduit to the light. Releasing the line allowed you to retrieve the cache. Then cranking the reel put it back in it's place. VERY INVENTIVE!!!!!

Now that does sound cruel I mean Cool.

I've seen many thing that were used for a cache in just my 24 finds :bad: I have found the fake rock. I also found one that was a hollow bolt in a well pump. Some cool stuff. I plan on getting a fake rock for a hide near me because I know kids can be in the area alot I want to try and not make it attract them.

I've seen many thing that were used for a cache in just my 24 finds :bad: I have found the fake rock. I also found one that was a hollow bolt in a well pump. Some cool stuff. I plan on getting a fake rock for a hide near me because I know kids can be in the area alot I want to try and not make it attract them.

I've seen:

-Bison capsule (Hundreds of them),

-pet ID capsule (even smaller yet),

Numerous devilish ways of hiding the above items,

-fake rock

-real rock hollowed out,

-fake pine cone hanging in pine tree,

-real pine cone...

-listermint containers (yes the postage stamp size),

-fake or modified bolt on bolted together structure,

-rail spike sticking in rail tie,

-sprinkler head sticking out of ground in landscaped area,

-log hollowed out with container within,

But mostly:

-ammo box behind a tree, stump or rock.

In the class of waypoints in multi-caches:

-label affixed to the bottom of something, visible only with a hand held mirror,

-coordinates disguised as a string of unformatted numbers on a bar code label where you would expect to see a bar code,

-coordinates disguised as telephone numbers on a business card

-coordinates written in dark red Sharpie on black painted wall,

stamped aluminum plant ID tag on a landscape plant,

I could go on and on but there are probably many things I haven't thought of, and someone is going to come up with something this afternoon that I've never thought of.