Leaving Stuff

Rhonlynn

I try to leave something I would want to find. You will find many threads devoted to this subject. There have been several times we have taken nothing, but left several things there, in the hopes of improving it for others to find. We cache as a family, and each of the kids has different things they like. We try to leave plenty in exchange, though. (Most of our things are very inexpensive.. we got a bunch of small calculators for about 15c each, but they are handy. We also leave whistles (about 30c each)..a nice metal one.. a good thing to have on a keychain for an emergency. In some caches (more difficult ones, not in neighborhood parks) we have left a small pocketknife (88c from Wal-mart). We don't leave those where it is possible for kids to find it unsupervised, though.

We'll leave whatever either fits the theme of the cache or whatever we have handy. We've left cds, books, videos, ceramics, emergency ponchos, MREs, mousepads, 'make your own' keychain sets, tshirts (new), match holders (brass), $25 gift certificates (to local malls or restaurants, the company I used to work for was always handing those out to us), trading cards (our signature cards 'fire engine trading cards' and also Harry Potter cards), and tons of other stuff we've since forgotten, lol. We try to always trade up, and if a cache looks empty, we'll do our best to fill it up with whatever we have on hand. icon_biggrin.gif

Team Squad51

We'll leave whatever either fits the theme of the cache or whatever we have handy. We've left cds, books, videos, ceramics, emergency ponchos, MREs, mousepads, 'make your own' keychain sets, tshirts (new), match holders (brass), $25 gift certificates (to local malls or restaurants, the company I used to work for was always handing those out to us), trading cards (our signature cards 'fire engine trading cards' and also Harry Potter cards), and tons of other stuff we've since forgotten, lol. We try to always trade up, and if a cache looks empty, we'll do our best to fill it up with whatever we have on hand. icon_biggrin.gif

Team Squad51

I started leaving pencils from my job. I went to a cache once and there was nothing there to write with. At my next find I started leaving a logo pencil.

I also carry NY state quarters in case the cache is to small for a pencil.

Mostly we don't take anything. My son is past the McToy age and I'm almost past it.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

39478_400.jpg

I rarely take anything myself, brcause, for me, it's the chase. For my kids, it's the pot of gold. I suspect many other families are the same way. So, I try to leave some things the kids like. Lately, I have started doing Matchbox cars. I will also have my kids go pick something from their 'saving can' (a popcorn tin that collects all the little toys that would otherwise get stepped on).

I also am now leaving CD's and fishing lures for the older crowd. I have a ton of CD's that I no longer listen to, but are in great shape, and popular (George Strait, Alan Jackson, etc - mostly country).

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Where's George dollars. Travel bugs. Where's George dollars. Trinkets or knick knacks. Where's George dollars. State quarters or interesting foreign coins/tokens. Did I mention the Where's George dollars?

Hey BassonPilot,

Have you ever thought of leaving Where's George dollars? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif lol

quote:

Where's George dollars. Travel bugs. Where's George dollars. Trinkets or knick knacks. Where's George dollars. State quarters or interesting foreign coins/tokens. Did I mention the Where's George dollars?

Hey BassonPilot,

Have you ever thought of leaving Where's George dollars? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif lol

Go to the dollor store. You can get all kinds of stuff for ki of all ages 8 - 80 playing cards toy cars etc. I usally don't keep stuff I find in a cache I like to place them in other caches. Another good thing to leave is batteries.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal: a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a brush, but very very ravenous

I bring a bag with me and what I leave depends on ths size and content of the cache. The bag currently contains 5 mini bottles of Tabasco, a tire gauge, 2 CD's, a buffalo nickel, 2 Eisenhower 1/2 dollars, 1 Sacagawea dollar, 2 Whereisgeorge bills, 1 new R/W CD,several packs of fresh AA batteries (probably my frequent exchange item), a shoehorn, carabiners and a package of temporary tatoos.

It's pretty simple, if you wouldn't want it for yourself, it's probably not worth leaving.

The local Army/Navy had a bunch of compass keychains and thermometer keychains with the store name on them. Once I explained Geocaching to the owner, she let me have them for half price since she gets a little cheap advertising and a cacher gets something functional.

Biners are always good. So are whistles, playing cards, yoyo's, koosh balls, hacky sacks, etc.

For the kids I try to leave hot wheels cars, sidewalk chalk, lego men, do-it-yourself keychain kits, jewelry kits..... All can be found for about a $1 at the dollar store or the local craft store.

I'm not a fan of finding knives, lighters, or matches, especially in caches near urban areas where kids may cache unattended. I could also do without McToys. If I wanted these, I could cache at the local drive-thru. Skip the stuff from the 50-cent gumball machine in Wal-Marts lobby. And please, no more golf balls!!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I bring a bag with me and what I leave depends on ths size and content of the cache. The bag currently contains 5 mini bottles of Tabasco, a tire gauge, 2 CD's, a buffalo nickel, 2 Eisenhower 1/2 dollars, 1 Sacagawea dollar, 2 Whereisgeorge bills, 1 new R/W CD,several packs of fresh AA batteries (probably my frequent exchange item), a shoehorn, carabiners and a package of temporary tatoos.

I would like to get my hands on some of those Eisenhour half dollars. VERY rare. I have only seen Franklin and Kennedy halfs and Eisenhour dollars. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I would like to get my hands on some of those Eisenhour half dollars. VERY rare. I have only seen Franklin and Kennedy halfs and Eisenhour dollars. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rhonlynn:

What kind of stuff do you guys leave?

icon_wink.gif From the various cache placed by me, I've enclosed various Brass President coins from a early 90's Shell game. CD's for audio or program it self, various TBugs objects that are traveling many places, Road map, Movie poster. Booklets and other items picked up from local stores. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rhonlynn:

What kind of stuff do you guys leave?

icon_wink.gif From the various cache placed by me, I've enclosed various Brass President coins from a early 90's Shell game. CD's for audio or program it self, various TBugs objects that are traveling many places, Road map, Movie poster. Booklets and other items picked up from local stores. icon_biggrin.gif

I ordered the free stamp, and had the Where's George slogan put on it. Pretty cool.

I'm learning alot from you guys.--Rhonda

icon_wink.gif

I ordered the free stamp, and had the Where's George slogan put on it. Pretty cool.

I'm learning alot from you guys.--Rhonda

icon_wink.gif

Army/Navy suplus stores have camping and hiking equipment. I saw a small fanny pack for $12 that I thought too large to fit in most geocaches but continue to look anyway.

Out in my area the local closeout store is called "Ocean State Joblot" and they have all kinds of cachables for under 8 dollars. Pocket knives, flashlights, trivia machines, household supplies, computer software and hardware. When I plan a geocache trip, I usually plan a visit for interesting ideas.

Gun Shows are fantastic places to find all kinds of cachables. Besides a variety of Ammo Boxes, I've picked up trail compases for $8 each that I've put in a few caches. If you want to spend upwards of $16 each you can get a heavy duty metal compases with mirrors and all kinds of bells and whistles. You can also find all kinds of quality inexpensive knives, tweezers, forcips, dental picks, maps, and other goddies that you would never have throught you might want or need.

I'm also on the lookout for discontinued items like the electronic pet game fob that used to be all the rage a few years ago. I picked up several Pokimon Pinkachu game machines for $9 each from the discount table at a local electronics outlet.

The thing to keep in mind that any geocacher has to have a computer to browse and find a geocache and therefor they and their family may have geek like tendancies. That is who i'm shopping for when out buying cachables.

I've found some really cool camping items that I like to leave, including a combo whistle, keychain, compass, magnifier, thermometer. Also, I've started leaving sleeve's of golfballs and even Estes model rockets (the Mosquito is small and inexpensive & a "blast" to launch. icon_biggrin.gif ) Generally, I like to leave things I wouldn't mind finding in a geocache.

Jim.

I've found some really cool camping items that I like to leave, including a combo whistle, keychain, compass, magnifier, thermometer. Also, I've started leaving sleeve's of golfballs and even Estes model rockets (the Mosquito is small and inexpensive & a "blast" to launch. icon_biggrin.gif ) Generally, I like to leave things I wouldn't mind finding in a geocache.

Jim.

I have 4 kids and allot of times It's me and all of them (7-12). We leave what they like. We have a pretty good rucksack (backpack) with some differant items in it. We allways leave more stuff than we take, and alot of times we take nothing, but leave something.

Being in the US Army I like to always leave a big Army Dude.

34342_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Zephyrus:

c:zephyrus2.jpg

Zephyrus' brass president coins are an interesting cache item; I've picked up a couple from his caches (I keep hoping to get a silver one in one of the still-wrapped coins, but none so far. icon_smile.gif)

I often leave carabiners, and my girlfriend has been leaving small Play-Doh containers. In the past, I've left rubber bouncing balls, Hot Wheels Cars, various items from drug companies I've picked up at pharmacy recruiting events, and when they fit, bobbing head dogs.

15701_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Zephyrus:

c:zephyrus2.jpg

Zephyrus' brass president coins are an interesting cache item; I've picked up a couple from his caches (I keep hoping to get a silver one in one of the still-wrapped coins, but none so far. icon_smile.gif)

I often leave carabiners, and my girlfriend has been leaving small Play-Doh containers. In the past, I've left rubber bouncing balls, Hot Wheels Cars, various items from drug companies I've picked up at pharmacy recruiting events, and when they fit, bobbing head dogs.

15701_400.jpg