Where To Purchase A Gps In Canada?

Pheonixx

I am a new to the site and to geocaching... And Im excited to purchase a GPS unit.

I am looking to purchase a good model right away, instead of upgrading down the road.

So I am looking at the 60cs ( or possibly the 76cs...cause it supposedly floats...which is important) and the meridian color.

I am wondering where I should go for the cheapest price, as local stores other than lebaron are hard to find.

And Im interested in shipping it from somewhere out of province to get half the taxes :unsure:

Thanks for any help.!!!

Use the price match guarantee at Canadian Tire. They'll match the price with GPS Central, PLUS give you 10% of the purchase price in Canadian Tire money, PLUS the regular Canadian Tire money if you pay cash. That will save you $60 or more off of the GSP Central price. 60C is a great unit.

Cheers,

TT

Use the price match guarantee at Canadian Tire. They'll match the price with GPS Central, PLUS give you 10% of the purchase price in Canadian Tire money, PLUS the regular Canadian Tire money if you pay cash. That will save you $60 or more off of the GSP Central price. 60C is a great unit.

Cheers,

TT

Last time I checked, CT will not price match an online store..... At least not in my area....

i would have to say lebaron is good as that is where i got mine but i have had good experience with gps central as well. on the note of canadian tire and there price match, i wouldn't waste your time i tried that with the lebaron price and the lady lied to me and said it was the same price there, and personaly i would rather give my money to place with knowledge (not CT) and somewhere that is going to give you a good price right away. so stay away from CT. and get it from gpscentral or lebaron, both good and knowledgeable places

I got CanadianTire to price match one of my other local outdoors shops:

http://www.lebaron.ca/index_en.html

(They do mail order so you can likely use them as well).

So I got my Geko 201 for $164 at CT and they gave me 10% back in CT money. Now I had always thought that their price match thing was 10% of the difference but the girl we had gave me back 10% of the total bill (incl taxes) so I got $21 back in CT money :rolleyes: All I had to do was print off the page from Lebaron's catalogue and take it in to the Customer Service desk at CT.

Thorin

Most places will do price-match. I bought mine at Radio World with a price match from GPSCity. Unlike most retailers, they know their products! And the after-sales service is great too. A week after I bought the 60C they had it on sale (cheaper than my price-match). They gave me a store credit for the difference.

On expensive electronics I usually prefer to buy locally if possible. That is, unless the price difference is huge. Just consider that, and consider after-sale support in case you get a lemon or have questions about the product. It's always good to see the unit in person and compare with other models.

GPSCity and GPSCentral seems to have the best prices in Canada. Even if you don't buy form them you may want to look at their websites for price-match opportunites :rolleyes:

Edited by jonavin

I bought both my GPS's at RadioWorld - mostly because I wanted to talk to someone about the units - someone knowledgeable that could set me up with something I needed, not what I wanted. I could also play with them and find out about weight and balance. They are extremely helpful and were willing to match the price at GPSCentral. It was worth the drive to Toronto in my opinion.

Well said, Annie. I know of four cachers (including myself) who have bought their GPSrs from RadioWorld, and all are very pleased with the cost, and service. One cacher had to take hers back (defective unit) and it was replaced immediately, no questions asked. It's refreshing to see this kind of helpfulness.

- hamgran

Well, I have to give my 2 cents to GPS Central....from store to door in two days....had to wait an extra seven days before Christmas before I could play with it :back: Visited their store in Calgary last summer and the staff was very knowledgeable, stood behind their product, let me log a few finds on their computer (I was on vacation), and let me examine other GPSrs.

It sounds like the list of not-recommended GPS stores is shorter than the list of recommended ones. :back: I've purchased from TheGPSstore in the USA and also RadioWorld locally (Toronto). I'm also a radio amateur and have purchased ham gear from RadioWorld. On one occasion I had a problem with a product and it was replaced immediately without fanfare.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Just to add to the confusion.... I find www.gpscity.ca to be great. I live in London and all my purchases make it from them to me within 2 business days. Also, I think the prices are generally better (e.g. 128Mb Garmin memory for eMap was $10 cheaper at gpscity compared to gpscentral).

I quite like GPSCentral. The staff is really friendly and they even donated $200 to a local Geocaching Event a while back. I've never dealt with GPSCity personally, but I've always found it odd that they are always closed on US holidays... :laughing:

I bought my Garmin eTrex at Wal-Mart. Does that count? (heh)

Likewise...just don't expect any "tech-Support" from the WalMart folk. Know your stuff BEFORE you buy....

Or RTFM or come here and ask questions of the helpful community or call 1-800-HLP-TREX (er whatever)

Thorin

I highly recommend Prairie Geomatics -- GPSZone.ca. They're always very fast and knwledgeable, and they also carry Otter Boxes, which are simply the best outdoor electronics cases anywhere.

I've also dealt with GPSCentral and they are great.

Regards,

Anthony

Whitehorse, YT

On my recent visit to Canada, I bought a Garmin cable from gpsmart.ca. It's run by Dean, a recently "retired" 40-something ex-IT guy who's decided to sell GPS equipment for at least part of his living.

I was able to drop by Dean's house in the Beaches area of Toronto and meet him and his wife. Very nice people. And no postage charges if you collect !

Nick, now back in France

For out of province I would personally recommend GpsCentral in Calgary. There is GpsCity also in Calgary but I have no direct experience with them. In the GTA visit Radioworld on Steeles Ave. West, Toronto. I have been there 2 or 3 times and they are very knowledgeable and well stocked.

Good luck, Olar

Durham Radio in Whitby Ontario is where I bought my Etrex Legend. www.durhamradio.com

They will price match too!

Cheers!

Planemaker :blink:

crappy t has dropped the price of the 60c to $599.  ive heard nothing but good things about this unit.  the only thing missing from it compared to the 60 cs is the electronic compass and a barametric altimiter.  hope i spelled that right.

nothingface

Except that you can get a 76 CS for $596 from GPSCentral :o

US $445 from GPSCity at the moment ($538 CDN)

Edited by geoSquid

Couparangus Jun 9 2004

I've purchased from TheGPSstore in the USA

When you ordered from the US, did you have to pay a customs or import duty :rolleyes: , if so do you remember how much?

With the dollar doing so good lately, the prices in the states are looking good

Edited by Group_W

Just ordered my first GPSr this evening from GPScentral. Called their 1 800 # and talked to someone first, then placed my order online. Should have it early in the week here on the east coast. I think they were able to get it in the mail before the weekend. btw, I ordered the GPS V Deluxe. Can't wait to get it.

Ray