Usa Geocoin

jelinidas

Hi All!

A real newb here but I must say the family and I are having a ball! We have seen so many places in the last weeks right in our own backyard that we never knew existed.

My question to you all tonight is on Geocoins. I ordered two coins and two sets of dogtags. Coins are activated and ready to go. Problem is my son would like to add a chain to them to place a trinket of some sort. Is drilling taboo? Should I just place as-is and let him play with the dogtags?

My other question is... Are Geocoins and travel bugs the same thing? I ask this because I see some caches have a one in/one out rule. Can I place a coin and take a bug? I'm not real fond of this "rule", but can see both sides if I look at it hard enough. I would much rather see my bug move!

Thanks in advance.

Jeff at Jelinidas

Geocoins are technically very similar to travel bugs in that you can set goals for them, but they're also even more likely to end up on someone's mantle.......

As far as drilling, it's your coin, do as you wish, but I'd imagine that most coins are sent out "as is"

Both of these above statements are related, in that you may find that by drilling the coin, you may make it a bit less prone to becoming a souvenir than one that's been lovingly preserved inside one of those hermetically sealed coin protector boxes.

Just a thought...

My other question is... Are Geocoins and travel bugs the same thing? I ask this because I see some caches have a one in/one out rule. Can I place a coin and take a bug? I'm not real fond of this "rule", but can see both sides if I look at it hard enough. I would much rather see my bug move!

Thanks in advance.

Jeff at Jelinidas

Welcome to the game!

yeah, as far as I'm concerned, the coins and bugs are the same. They'll show up in your profile under a different icon, so some people see the coins as a "step above" the regular TB tag.

I've found less than half a dozen USA coins to date, but I'm just as addicted to them as the TBs!

:huh::o I placed my first geocoin a few weeks ago. I left it as I received it and recently it was picked up by a fellow geocacher who it seems has decided to keep it. He logged the cache find and that he took the coin, yet he didn't log the geocoin, so it still shows as being in the cache I left it in. I emailed the person and thanked them for picking up the coin and moving it on for me. Asked them to remember to log it so it would be removed from the listing as being in the cache I left it in. No answer and still shows as being in the cache. Wish I had drilled a big hole in it. Oh well, maybe the others will do better.

:blink:

Edited by arkville