Steroids Shot For Poison Ivy

A year ago, my husband, friend and I (all noobs) set off to find an awesome cache in the Houston area (A Bridge Too Far) by geowyz).

It was summer in Houston, so we foolishly wore shorts and sandals as we waded through brush. Surprise, surprise, we got poison ivy. BAAAAAADDDDD. Both of us were covered on both legs and arms, and it took 6 weeks, 2 doctor's visits, 3 prescriptions and 2 over-the-counter medications before it went away.

Fast-forward to the present time. My friend recently noticed an odd dimpled area on her upper backside. She's slim and fit, so it was abnormal. It turns out that the steroids shot she got a year ago had eaten away at her subcutaneous fat. It may return to normal over time or it may not. I guess it happens in rare cases!

I sure am glad I got the steroid pills instead of the shot!

Although I'll be accused of going off topic, your post got me to thinking about the evil that is poison ivy. When I was a wee lad, 12 or so years old, I spent a week in isolation at the hospital with this very weird growth all over my legs. Turns out I'm a tad allergic to the ivy. I've since moved out west (where they appreciate me) and have seldom had contact with the beast.

No point really, but heck, we chase tupperware.

A year ago, my husband, friend and I (all noobs) set off to find an awesome cache in the Houston area (A Bridge Too Far) by geowyz).

It was summer in Houston, so we foolishly wore shorts and sandals as we waded through brush. Surprise, surprise, we got poison ivy. BAAAAAADDDDD. Both of us were covered on both legs and arms, and it took 6 weeks, 2 doctor's visits, 3 prescriptions and 2 over-the-counter medications before it went away.

Fast-forward to the present time. My friend recently noticed an odd dimpled area on her upper backside. She's slim and fit, so it was abnormal. It turns out that the steroids shot she got a year ago had eaten away at her subcutaneous fat. It may return to normal over time or it may not. I guess it happens in rare cases!

I sure am glad I got the steroid pills instead of the shot!

I have gotten poison oak several times, and the last time is even spread to my face.

I went to a doctor for a shot, ans was warned that a dimple could occur at the injection site (upper hip). Risking my carrer as a butt double, I got the shot. It helped some, but wasn't the wonder shot I was hoping for.

Never did get a dimple...

Ed

Was the shot cortisone? It is anti-inflammatory, but I can't imagine using it over a large area (would require many shots then)? Cortisone can be useful, but should not likely be used in large amounts. Bummer anyway!

I am one of those few lucky people who apparently is not allergic to poison ivy. I walked through it many times as a kid with no reaction. My father is the same way. But I like to avoid testing to see if an allergy has developed! :unsure:

Recently, I went through nettles and had a reaction, but it only lasted about 15 minutes and was minor. I guess I might be lucky there too. Whew!

I'm highly allergic now and I'm still trying to figure out a good strategy for dealing with the stuff. The most recent time, my doc gave me a medral (prednisone) pack and some Zyrtec. My legs looked like hell for 10 days, but I survived the crave to itch.

Carleen, don't go bragging or you will end up like me. Prior to three years ago, I could wallow in the stuff and get nary a rash. Now I can't even stand in the vicinity of it.

-E

I have lived with PI my entire life. I have been covered (at one time or another) from head to toe by the stuff and have come to limit my contact with nature as the only really safe option during summer months.

It may be an old wives tale, but I take a cold shower and wash my entire body with Cascade Dish Washing Liquid if I suspect that I have been in PI. It helps keep the rash down to a week usually.

Check out http://www.poison-ivy.org/index.htm for additional information and a handy set of cards that will help keep you out of the stuff.

Edited by Teeds