60c Not Autorouting On Uk Basemap

i have a problem with my 60c not autorouting properly on its uk basemap...so...i sent an email to garmin. here is my email and garmins reply......

i have a query re the autorouting function..on a recent trip from swindon to

bristol i left swindon and as soon as i entered the m4 motorway i asked the

60c to autoroute to a prevously entered waypiont near st phillips in

bristol..the 60c did its bit with a route using the m4 and the m32 and the

a4...my query is that the 'purple' overlay route line generated by the 60c

did not correspond with the m4, m32 or a4 roads on the 60c...i thought that

the 60c had an autorouting basemap and was expecting a major road

routetability function...please dont suggest buying city select as i cant

afford this software....thankyou and i await your response..

and garmins reply......

Thank you for your email.

If you were using the basemap this will happen. The basemap is drawn from a

1:1'000'000 and a 1:100'000 map and therefore is not accurate at all and not

intended for accurate navigation. If you had detailed mapping for the area

you were travelling in it would show a much better position.

Thank you,Garmin...

my opinion is......why buy a a garmin gps with a uk (atlantic) basemap,it really aint worth it.....

I was considering either a gps5 or a 60c and asked them a similar question, because I was thinking of getting a Americas base map unit (ie a cheaper american machine) the answer was pretty much the same as you got, ie the base map is rubbish, you need our hidiously expensive software to run it properly!

The older Mapsource Metroguide and Roads and rec won't work according to Garmin (not for turn by turn anyway) although you can upload the maps and use the other features.

what do you think of the 60c?

is the colour screen easier to read than other garmin units (i have a 3+) or is the screen still a bit small when in the car?

what other software do you use -if any

thanks

John Knights

UK

It isn't just inaccurate in the UK. The America's basemap is also pretty bad for road navigation. If you look at a particular highway with the basemap and compare the same road with detailed map view, you'll notice that the detailed map view road is much curvier rather than sharp bends and enormous straight aways present in the basemap version.

Honestly, just save up for the City-Select Europe. I understand that buying through European stores is going to be ridiculous, but if you can manage a copy in the US (maybe ebay), you'll be paying the same as we pay here (roughly $110)

Keep in mind also that the basemap is only intended for reference. It can technically be used for road navigation, but prepare to be bombarded with "Off Route - Recalulating" messages. :unsure:

Edited by vw_ev

john...if you can find one cheap enough get yourself an americas basemap 60c .....you will have to download some kind of mapping software anyway, be it mg or cs so the basemap really dont matter....mind the vat, a lot of dealers claim that you wont get charged but reading ebay feedbacks alot of customers do get charged..if this happens then the cost goes up ...i brought mine from sportsextreme.com in denmark for about £60 cheaper than in the uk... the only uk 'autorouting' software is cs or cn..mg's dont autoroute...... the 60c is a great gps..i used to have a old b/w streetpilot and this colour screen is brill , a bit small when in the car but very usable...it runs on 2 AA batts and is truely portable....if you dont geocache now ,,you soon will...the 60c has a special mode for geocahing....at the moment i use mg5 europe and will do until garmin bring out a cs europe at a decent price..in the states you can buy cs for about $110 which aint a bad price..when i went to the states in april i loaded up mg usa version 4.01 which for some reason does autoroute. i travelled 2250 miles and it worked perfect...

vw-ev...i appreciate what you are saying but honestly whats the point of having a routable basemap if it dont route!!..garmin should have left all versions of the 60c/cs basemaps blank and let you load your own local 'mapping' software...