Avatar Creation Requests, Submissions, And Help.

I used DVDVideoSoft's Free YouTube Download to grab the video.

It downloaded it in .avi format so Photoshop should have worked on it. When I imported it, all the frames were plain white.

So I ran it through Xilisoft Video Converter and converted to .mov format.

I then imported into Photoshop again (setting it to grab every 3 frames only to cut down on filesize).

Cropped and resized and saved out to gif.

Another point, since other sites allow different sizes of avatars, did anyone find out the finish size expected, I haven't seen one listed so I'm still 'smaller' but still big right now. Also playing with other aspects.

I saved the project to .psd at the full size in case he requested a different final size.

Thanks for the information... I've been making some progress on MY project, but got motivated to upgrade some of my software... It's the same source, but not the same... sort of... but since it's not but a plaything... who cares...

Doug

OK... I'm still having some issues related to image quality, will try again with a different image format... maybe... the new old software seems to allow for better use of some formats than others... that's just playing... I used .jpg's... probably a mistake... I only used a few frames to give the idea...

xb89.GIF

Anyway that's a first meagre try. Too much going on for a proper run at it. I didn't think anyone else was going to go for it... Thanks again GB... and HI to BC&MK.

Dang it... previewing this I can see one minor goof in processing... and it still is grainy... At least I have frames no one else does yet... for practise of course. Next time the Frog wins!

Doug

Is there anyone out there who could turn a YouTube clip into an animated gif? I'd like to use it for another site that allows animated avatars.

:D:D

If you can crop the video to center the action, that would be even better!

Thanks in advance.

How bout this? I took the liberty of cropping and resizing for a 100 pixel limit avatar.

FrogFail.gif

Unfortunately, geocaching.com converts everything to .jpg, which doesn't allow animations. What would probably happen is the first frame would show up and remain static.

Is there anyone out there who could turn a YouTube clip into an animated gif? I'd like to use it for another site that allows animated avatars.

How bout this? I took the liberty of cropping and resizing for a 100 pixel limit avatar.

Unfortunately, geocaching.com converts everything to .jpg, which doesn't allow animations. What would probably happen is the first frame would show up and remain static.

You are correct about Geocaching.com Anyone here has to store it off site like any image and use it in the text block... HOWEVER, this was a special request! GeoBain simply provided a sample, and I was just playing around trying some new software and technique (which I still need to grasp). FWIW, I am a college trained animator amongst other things... but I don't work at it for various reasons... I do like to play with images and software generally, which is why only the first and last frames resemble the original sources, and all of mine have been altered considerably from the originals at least in colouring and compostion...

I've also addressed the copying whole works for any purpose... I like new work... it's more satisfying, but one needs a starting point... video is OK, but I like hand draw/computer stuff... not all cut and paste.

Are you into Artwork/graphics or just an end user? I'm glad to meet either here... I've been off here for a bit, but don't think I've seen you here before, but acknowledge it's possible.. Nice to meet you, sort of...

Doug

Thanks in advance.

FrogFail.gif

We know GC converts all avatars to .jpg. But other sites are nice enough to allow animated avatars. It is on those sites that the requested avatar would be used.

:laughing::laughing:

Thanks in advance.

FrogFail.gif

We know GC converts all avatars to .jpg. But other sites are nice enough to allow animated avatars. It is on those sites that the requested avatar would be used.

D'oh! I missed that part. It seems I'm not very good at paying attention to little details like that.

D'oh! I missed that part. It seems I'm not very good at paying attention to little details like that.

One of the first skills that 'artists' of any sort are encouraged to learn is to:

SEE what you are looking at.

A very useful skill, even when not doing art things... I used to walk along looking around me...

Then I learned the tricks and practised... Drawing things? Sometimes, though I'm still a bit rough that way.

But that first summer during and afterwards (and since) I used to pick up loose change of the sidewalk etc. and toss it in a jar... at the end of the year, I had several jars full and counted $232 plus a bit more. I was quite taken aback at the volume of coins and bills of several denominations, just laying there in plain sight.

Doesn't even count the wallet with a guys Ccards and paycheck I turned over to the cops... just laying there, feet from panhandlers too lazy to bend over... He had it back ASAP, they were delivering it to his home when he got there.

Have fun, try some drawing too! Of course you may already do that!

Doug

If the offer is still on the table, I would love a new, unique avatar (ie. not swiped from some random website). I would like the avatar to be a melding of the rough G geocaching logo (similar to the one seen here with a compass rose, perhaps with some geocaching logo colours and my username initials (GK).

Any suggestions? I am more than willing to wait.

As well, any other ideas would be appreciated.

Edited by G_Kelley

Ok, after reading pages and pages of this thread I think I'm finally ready for an Avatar. Where do I make my request?

I'm not very creative so my thoughts may be random. My name is literally mine and my husbands squished together and the year we were born. But I"m not sure I want the avitar to have anything to do with that. I cache with my kids and own a DeLorme PN20. If that helps.

Edited by leejas72

Ok, after reading pages and pages of this thread I think I'm finally ready for an Avatar. Where do I make my request?

I'm not very creative so my thoughts may be random. My name is literally mine and my husbands squished together and the year we were born. But I"m not sure I want the avitar to have anything to do with that. I cache with my kids and own a DeLorme PN20. If that helps.

How many kids? What genders?

Could make a difference for a family avatar

How many kids? What genders?

Could make a difference for a family avatar

4 kids. Boy, Girl, Boy, Girl

Don't know that what I came up with will work...

gcfamilyavatar.jpg

gcfamilyavatarbig.jpg

Love it Love it. Could we make just a few small changes to make it more realistic? All girls hair Brown and Dads hair brown. That's it and it's perfect. Thank you so much.

Done.

Just hit F5 to refresh the image

Don't know that what I came up with will work...

gcfamilyavatar.jpg

gcfamilyavatarbig.jpg

Love it Love it. Could we make just a few small changes to make it more realistic? All girls hair Brown and Dads hair brown. That's it and it's perfect. Thank you so much.

Done.

Just hit F5 to refresh the image

Love it Bittsen. Thank you so much.

One last silly little question. How do I get it to transfer onto the forums pages? I fixed it on GC.com already.

He he he. Nevermind. I figured it out.

<----------------------------------------- LOOK!!!!!!

Edited by leejas72

One last silly little question. How do I get it to transfer onto the forums pages? I fixed it on GC.com already.

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.

You are awesome at this, Bittsen. Seriously good.

Well, I'm thinking it's time for an avatar update. The one I use now was created for me in this same thread about 5 years ago, and I have used it ever since. However, I really feel it is time for a refresher. I want to keep with the elephant theme, but this time, I was thinking of a "sexy" female elephant. Maybe with a GPS in one hand, and a hot pink ammo can in the other? I am as far from artistically talented as they come, so I really do appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

Here's a female elephant but an ammo can and GPS would be really small beside it ~L~

sexyelephant.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of something standing up, in a seductive pose...holding the ammo can. I actually like the idea of an ammo can in one hand, and a martini glass in the other.

If the image needs to be larger, I can always use it as my profile image.

It is probably about time I had my atavar renewed. The current one dates back to when I got my first GPSr the Garmin II Plus!

Any ideas and help in this I would be most grateful for.

My interests are Geocaching (of course), fly fishing, reading, all sports and travel.

I am a very patriotic New Zealander, so something imposed over an image of NZ.

BTW the old Garmin has been well and truly replaced, firstly by a Map60CS and, recently, an Oregon 450.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Not sure how patriotic or which direction you wanted to go in, but I threw this together.

onslowfisherman.jpg

Thanks - certainly a move in the right direction but I am more interested in geocaching and fishing than being patriotic. Maybe something more on the lines of my first one with an "Oregon" rather than the IIPlus.

Onslow Fisherman

Not sure how patriotic or which direction you wanted to go in, but I threw this together.

onslowfisherman.jpg

Thanks - certainly a move in the right direction but I am more interested in geocaching and fishing than being patriotic. Maybe something more on the lines of my first one with an "Oregon" rather than the IIPlus.

Onslow Fisherman

Or maybe something built along the lines of the one showing now incorporating geocaching.

Dont want to be a pain.

So thanks

onslowfisherman.jpg

Onslow Fisherman

Or maybe something built along the lines of the one showing now incorporating geocaching.

Dont want to be a pain.

So thanks

That's an Oregon 450 in the image.

I love Geobain's image. I think it's really cool. It's much better than mine... but I tried to make one out of the current picture that's up there. I put a New Zealand flag on the fishing basket, and put the Oregon 450 in the pocket of the basket. It's so small though it's hard to see the detail. I'll try to think of something else too.

jfhw00.jpg

Here's a female elephant but an ammo can and GPS would be really small beside it ~L~

sexyelephant.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of something standing up, in a seductive pose...holding the ammo can. I actually like the idea of an ammo can in one hand, and a martini glass in the other.

Well, I've been thinking about your avatar, and since it's so hard to get something small with so much detail... here's two images for you. One larger more detailed one for your profile, and then a smaller avatar one with less detail.

Hope you like them!

Profile:

2vsjg93.jpg

lwlg5.jpg

Alright one more, how about this one?

2n71irt.jpg

I like that one.

I hate having to work with 75x75. It's hard to get details at that size. Good job.

(of course, i'm not the one choosing, but I'd gladly pick that one.) :blink:

75X75 is a REALLY difficult size to work with, you aren't kidding!

Alright one more, how about this one?

2n71irt.jpg

:blink:

I like that one.

I hate having to work with 75x75. It's hard to get details at that size. Good job.

(of course, i'm not the one choosing, but I'd gladly pick that one.) :blink:

75X75 is a REALLY difficult size to work with, you aren't kidding!

I love then ad am downloading this one (nymphsatyr) and the GeoBain latest to use - thanks guys

Onslow Fisherman :D:D:D

Sorry, I'm a little behind on this... here's another idea.

theherd-sm.jpg

Me Please! We geocache as a team, two males two females, but the name really comes from our pawed caching-companion Remi, who is a bassett hound. Remi is the dog in the current pic, and she has been joined by another basset, so we're now a two bassett team! I thought a bassett with the gc colors instead of black and brown patches might be pretty cool... we use an oregon 400t and an iphone (it is a team) The GPS doesn't need to be in the image. Another idea would be a bassett nose to the ground sniffing out a cache...

THANKS!

Sorry, I'm a little behind on this... here's another idea.

theherd-sm.jpg

Wow, that one is really great!!

Me Please! We geocache as a team, two males two females, but the name really comes from our pawed caching-companion Remi, who is a bassett hound. Remi is the dog in the current pic, and she has been joined by another basset, so we're now a two bassett team! I thought a bassett with the gc colors instead of black and brown patches might be pretty cool... we use an oregon 400t and an iphone (it is a team) The GPS doesn't need to be in the image. Another idea would be a bassett nose to the ground sniffing out a cache...

THANKS!

A basset in geo-colors....

remiquest.jpg