Avatar Creation Requests, Submissions, And Help.

Wow, what an excellent service you provide.

We've been trying for ages to design a new avatar as our original is just a bit too boring, but all our attempts just look pathetic when compared to the professional ones that are being created here.

We'd love it if someone clever could help us out with something either Sherlock Holmes (as he's on our original) or a magnifying glass.

I've been doing a bit of upgrading recently such as: upgraded my 60CSx to an Oregon; upgrading my family by adding a baby girl (due in June). So I thought maybe it's time to upgrade my avatar as well.

I like the basic design, but was hoping someone with both a good imagination and some artistic skill could give me a bit of help on this.

Here's my current one:

--image deleted--

I'm sort of up to my ears in LIFE right now and trying to do a few simple ones... Your current image / coat of arms is excellent... For sure it deserves a bit of update work by a talented artiste... that is, better than my skills currently... some will be returning soon I hear... I WILL give it some thought though and might have better luck than I expect... One thing I can say right off... again... take a look at what the avatar looks like when it is posted as an avatar and what the large image started as... There in lies the rub... 75x75 tends to distort and lose details... I'd say use the big one for your profile page, and use a slightly less detailed creation (though similar) for the avatar. I try to work almost that way, start smaller and then clean up the enlargement and add detail... If you read through this thread, you will find that many of the large art pieces never get used as avatars... largely because of that... However, art is fun..

We'll see what happens, keep ideas posted here so we can collectively think about it.

Doug

We've been trying for ages to design a new avatar as our original is just a bit too boring, but all our attempts just look pathetic when compared to the professional ones that are being created here.

We'd love it if someone clever could help us out with something either Sherlock Holmes (as he's on our original) or a magnifying glass.

I'm getting a bit behind in my work and life keeps interfering... some others here may get back soon...

However, I will mention that I'm currently doing something for the Team Cache Scene Investigators also using a magnifier... Anything left over from their project will be up for grabs... what doesn't suit them might be OK for you with 'editing appropriately'. Perhaps your 'sherlock' simply needs a bit of rework.. I sort of like it... at least it isn't squashed down... I'll keep it in mind while I finish a few...

I have modified your existent image quickly... it might work for time being... let me know and I'll see if I can finish it a bit better

sherlockb1xx75.jpg

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

I'm getting a bit behind in my work and life keeps interfering... some others here may get back soon...

However, I will mention that I'm currently doing something for the Team Cache Scene Investigators also using a magnifier... Anything left over from their project will be up for grabs... what doesn't suit them might be OK for you with 'editing appropriately'. Perhaps your 'sherlock' simply needs a bit of rework.. I sort of like it... at least it isn't squashed down... I'll keep it in mind while I finish a few...

Doug

Life is like that sometimes. Any help would be great, using someone's leftovers would be fine, thanks alot.

Edited by Lydford Locators

Hi

I'm fairly new to geocaching but having a lot of fun.

I would like some Help/Suggestions for an Avatar for "TechnomageUK", thinking more along the lines of Technomages from Babylon 5 and without any UK relevant stuff added like flags.

Gratefull for any Help and suggestions.

Pete

First off, Sorry to anyone waiting... I'm simply swamped with life right at the moment... I'll keep processing as time permits... some of you may seem to jump the line, but it's simply that some are fairly easy, some are complex.

For the newest two requests, all I can say is that I'll think about them. But you might have to wait for me, or see who else can do them. I do not mind sharing ideas that might occur. At least I know about what a technomage is.(B5 fan here), but not sure what to do with it them. Jake should be fairly easy once free.

Lydford Locators - modified your current, as a start. see #2403 above. Needs some work though.

Lazy Sunbathers - check #2397 / 98 , I updated like we discussed, but is 75 x 75 pixels, comment please.

I'll email TCSI:

Anyone else, I've started a few sketches pending time...

Doug

I have modified your existent image quickly... it might work for time being... let me know and I'll see if I can finish it a bit better

sherlockb1xx75.jpg

Doug

Big respect from us here, can't believe you made it look so good so quickly (especially as we'd been trying for ages and getting nowhere). We love it. Looks finished by our standards, but feel free to work on it more if you think it needs it. THANK YOU!

Big respect from us here, can't believe you made it look so good so quickly (especially as we'd been trying for ages and getting nowhere). We love it. Looks finished by our standards, but feel free to work on it more if you think it needs it. THANK YOU!

Thanks... you could use it as is for now if you like, I have the rework of the one on your profile that I was working from as well... You can't really see it in the avatar, but I was adding a bit of GC like colouring to the deerstalker... one of the things I have to improve... let me know if you like other colours for anything.

It was just a quicky... colour makes a lot of difference quickly... I'm still hunting for a way to keep the .jpg from messing things up when it saves. This one is going through my system, the host site and the forums and it suffers. That is my biggest hassle. But I will get it right someday.

Glad you like it. If you care to email me through my profile with an email address I can send the files directly to you when ready... that will bypass a few of the compressions anyway.

Doug... Now off to do battle with some of the others for a while.

I've been doing a bit of upgrading recently such as: upgraded my 60CSx to an Oregon; upgrading my family by adding a baby girl (due in June). So I thought maybe it's time to upgrade my avatar as well.

I like the basic design, but was hoping someone with both a good imagination and some artistic skill could give me a bit of help on this.

Here's my current one:

--image deleted--

I'm sort of up to my ears in LIFE right now and trying to do a few simple ones... Your current image / coat of arms is excellent... For sure it deserves a bit of update work by a talented artiste... that is, better than my skills currently... some will be returning soon I hear... I WILL give it some thought though and might have better luck than I expect... One thing I can say right off... again... take a look at what the avatar looks like when it is posted as an avatar and what the large image started as... There in lies the rub... 75x75 tends to distort and lose details... I'd say use the big one for your profile page, and use a slightly less detailed creation (though similar) for the avatar. I try to work almost that way, start smaller and then clean up the enlargement and add detail... If you read through this thread, you will find that many of the large art pieces never get used as avatars... largely because of that... However, art is fun..

We'll see what happens, keep ideas posted here so we can collectively think about it.

Doug

Doug,

Thanks for the pointers... and I completely understand about the whole "Life" thing. Hopefully you or someone else will get the chance to play with it a little. I don't have either the software or the skills to work on it myself.

Thanks,

BRTango

I'd like an avatar of hand grabbing/squeezing an ammo box or something cache-related. I'd like to use the team name of Cache Snatchers, so something fitting of that would be nice.

Found a moment to rough a few sketches. no where near finished though.

Just an offering to see if it's close. Didn't bend the can too much and scale is 'artistic licence'.

These are just my third version of my original sketches which I have not shared yet.

Don't mind the colours.. I still have issues controlling all the players. Everyone keeps changing these .jpg files.

Doug

snatch01.jpgsnatch01x75.jpg

Hi there

I just discovered this topic and it seems awesome ...

I made an avatar myself with the travel bug logo, but I think that is not quite ok with the rules ...

Can anybody help me with an avatar where there is still a travel bug in, but somewhat reformed and in colour? I haven't got much inspiration myself ...

"Wa3" is a reference to our kids (parts of their names put together), so I don't know if you can do anthing with that... Most of the time we go caching with our team of four: 2 children, my wife and myself.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there

I tried something myself (but I can't seem to upload it), but I'm not overenthousastic with the result. Anyone ...?

Thanks.

Edited by wa3

Do you need an Avatar?

I'd love help with an avatar. Got any ideas for Sol Seaker?

It's meant to be a play on words and have two meanings. or three perhaps.

Sun seaker, sun being not only up in the sky, but often as another way to refer to God.

Also soul seeker. Seeking my soul and everyone elses for that matter.

And seeking as in geocaching. Any ideas?

Hi there

I tried something myself (but I can't seem to upload it), but I'm not overenthousastic with the result. Anyone ...?

Thanks.

Have a few minutes... I see something on your profile page image... sending you an email.

Doug

Hi 7rxc, thanks for the mail. The image you found was made by me with the "paint" software and it did cost me a lot of time ... Maybe you can do something with it ...

I logged out en back in (and allready changed the avatar in my profile) but nothing changes on the left of the forum pages ...

Edited by wa3

Hi 7rxc, thanks for the mail. The image you found was made by me with the "paint" software and it did cost me a lot of time ... Maybe you can do something with it ...

I logged out en back in (and allready changed the avatar in my profile) but nothing changes on the left of the forum pages ...

I've sent another email, this one has my email address and a version of what I think is the current

method(s) of making the switch. At least it works for me, I'm still working on making it both simple and working... Secret is to read carefully, both the GC site and my notes... I can make it work and I still get lost in there... Mine I suspect still has to much information yet.

I'll see what I can do with your image in the meantime.

Doug

Well, life has given me a bit of time to play. I don't know where to jump in here, so I guess I'll just pick one.

How are these.

I upgraded you to an Oregon, sharpened the colours, added some drop shadows,and changed the text a bit to reflect that it isn't just BRT Tango and "Son". The best way, IMO, to do that with such limited space was go the "Team" approach.

The large image can be used in your profile image, the small one will fit as an avatar.

Let me know what you think.

BIG.jpgSMALL.jpg

Do you need an Avatar?

I'd love help with an avatar. Got any ideas for Sol Seaker?

It's meant to be a play on words and have two meanings. or three perhaps.

Sun seaker, sun being not only up in the sky, but often as another way to refer to God.

Also soul seeker. Seeking my soul and everyone elses for that matter.

And seeking as in geocaching. Any ideas?

Here's something I came up with. Hope you like it.

Large image if you want to put it on your profile. Small is the avatar.

I didn't see the spelling you used for "seeker" and used the correct spelling in the images. I can change it if you like.

seekerslge2.jpg

seekerssm2.jpg

EDIT:

Images with the correct spelling

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I'm a graphic/web designer. I might be able to help with some avatars as well. I use Adobe illustrator and photoshop. I made my avatar (and the image that's on my profile), so those are some examples of my work.

I love the ones that were made with original sketches... very cool. :laughing:

-Rozie

I'd like an avatar of hand grabbing/squeezing an ammo box or something cache-related. I'd like to use the team name of Cache Snatchers, so something fitting of that would be nice.

Found a moment to rough a few sketches. no where near finished though.

Just an offering to see if it's close. Didn't bend the can too much and scale is 'artistic licence'.

These are just my third version of my original sketches which I have not shared yet.

Don't mind the colours.. I still have issues controlling all the players. Everyone keeps changing these .jpg files.

Doug

snatch01.jpgsnatch01x75.jpg

This is close to what I want. Anyway you can just use a hand like the one a few posts above with the GPSr in it? That's all I really want, but I know the tough part would probably be putting some sort of cache in it.

Either way, I'm in no hurry at all and I appreciate your efforts! Thank you!

I'm a graphic/web designer. I might be able to help with some avatars as well. I use Adobe illustrator and photoshop. I made my avatar (and the image that's on my profile), so those are some examples of my work.

I love the ones that were made with original sketches... very cool. :D

-Rozie

Welcome to Avatar Creation... You sure can help out! I'm not one of the experts - yet. I'm trying to give some ideas to people and do the best I can to execute them. BC & MsKitty is one of the recent regulars and will likely say hi. I'm getting some software advice from that source. mizdeeds is also pro material. There are and have been others, and I can see from having tried that one can get overwhelmed a bit. Better we all work together to keep the 'customers' happy. My background is animation, usually .gifs. I get a bit frustrated with .jpgs, but am getting better results in the last few hours.

[edit] Would you like to try JAKE's project... I'm busy with some others? He has had a minor shift having viewed the BRT graphic and/ or the sol seaker I'm not sure which. I've already asked for some more detail.

Doug

PS like the avatar.

Edited by 7rxc

This is close to what I want. Anyway you can just use a hand like the one a few posts above with the GPSr in it? That's all I really want, but I know the tough part would probably be putting some sort of cache in it.

Either way, I'm in no hurry at all and I appreciate your efforts! Thank you!

Hi there... I've knocked off a bit of stuff for clarity... OK, it was just a sketch of an idea. YOU suggested one option was squeezing an ammo box or something... I went small box big hand... fair.

I think you are referencing the BRT graphic, I'm busy at this moment, but I think if you wish a GPSr in hand to be similar, could you reference the type (make, model) you prefer and any little details for what the hand should be doing. Perhaps our NEW artist could work with all of the above... I'm not offended in any way by group efforts.

Glad to have helped. and I'm still going to think about it.

Doug

Welcome to Avatar Creation... You sure can help out! I'm not one of the experts - yet. I'm trying to give some ideas to people and do the best I can to execute them. BC & MsKitty is one of the recent regulars and will likely say hi. I'm getting some software advice from that source. mizdeeds is also pro material. There are and have been others, and I can see from having tried that one can get overwhelmed a bit. Better we all work together to keep the 'customers' happy. My background is animation, usually .gifs. I get a bit frustrated with .jpgs, but am getting better results in the last few hours.

[edit] Would you like to try JAKE's project... I'm busy with some others? He has had a minor shift having viewed the BRT graphic and/ or the sol seaker I'm not sure which. I've already asked for some more detail.

Doug

PS like the avatar.

Anything I can do to help... would love to help with JAKE's. Are all the details back in this thread? :D

-Rozie

Doug

PS like the avatar.

Anything I can do to help... would love to help with JAKE's. Are all the details back in this thread? :D

-Rozie

Right upstairs, my post and the one before your first... thanks... HE hasn't added anything new yet.

Got to run. doug

I love the ones that were made with original sketches... very cool. :D

-Rozie

Hey!

Welcome, and just dig right in! :D

We don't stand much on formality here, and just take the requests as they come, and as we feel we can do them! The more help the better!

BC

Here's something for JakeInPA based on his last comments.

jakelge.jpg

jakesm.jpg

OOPS! I didn't see the post from nymphnsatyr!

Sorry ... Took me forever to get the post made. The forum kept crashing on me.

Oh well, you will likey come up with something better anyway :D

And it will give him something to choose from.

BC

Edited by BC & MsKitty

OH my god it's fantastic!! (no pun intended)

Yes this is great! I'd love to use it!! I had to use seaker because seeker was already taken. Also it's singluar not plural. Do you think it best to use the correct spelling or the spelling I've had to use for my name? I'm not sure it makes a difference. you've got experience with this, what do you think?

And by the way, how do I now make it work? (I'll dig around and see if I can put up this one for a trial)

Thanks so much!!! This is so kind of you to do this!!!!

SS

Here's something I came up with. Hope you like it.

Large image if you want to put it on your profile. Small is the avatar.

I didn't see the spelling you used for "seeker" and used the correct spelling in the images. I can change it if you like.

seekerslge.jpg

seekerssm.jpg

Y'all do OUTSTANDING work!!!!

Could we ask for one based on our name? Pretty, pretty please. :D

Edited to add: Maybe something with a magnifying glass with an ammo can inside it and our name? You can use whatever colors you think best.

We sure would appreciate it as I'm certainly not artistic (unless it has to do with yarn, lol) and the guys just don't have time to come up with anything right now.

Here are a couple for you to choose from

csilge.jpg

csims.jpg

And another

scism2.jpg

For those of us who have no artistic talent this is like a wizard offerig to do a spell for us. I tried to make an avatar online once and got completely frustrated.

Could you come up with one based on these facts

My geocaching nickname is Wooden Cyclist. It comes from my other hobbies, woodworking and cycling.

I use a BlackBerry as a GPSr

I am rather large for a bicyclist.

If you have time you could work on one for my 9 yr old son. Cacher Aliens is his nickname.

Thanks

Got a couple for you.

Please don't be offended, but you did say that you were rather large for a cyclist, but you didn't say large in what way, so .....

If you don't like it, don't be shy :D

cyclist.jpg

And one for Alien Cachers

alienav.jpg

jakelge.jpg

jakesm.jpg

BC

Oh this is super cool!!! I was thinking of making something similar... except I was going to put an earth behind it. A hand, with cache in it, earth behind, but it would have looked almost the same to yours. I only got it halfway done and had to go out and run some errands. I could still post it, and then he could have two.

But seriously, yours is fabulous!!

-Rozie

:D

jakelge.jpg

jakesm.jpg

BC

Oh this is super cool!!! I was thinking of making something similar... except I was going to put an earth behind it. A hand, with cache in it, earth behind, but it would have looked almost the same to yours. I only got it halfway done and had to go out and run some errands. I could still post it, and then he could have two.

But seriously, yours is fabulous!!

-Rozie

Yeah .. give him a choice!

And thanks for the compliment.

For those of us who have no artistic talent this is like a wizard offerig to do a spell for us. I tried to make an avatar online once and got completely frustrated.

Could you come up with one based on these facts

My geocaching nickname is Wooden Cyclist. It comes from my other hobbies, woodworking and cycling.

I use a BlackBerry as a GPSr

I am rather large for a bicyclist.

If you have time you could work on one for my 9 yr old son. Cacher Aliens is his nickname.

Thanks

Got a couple for you.

Please don't be offended, but you did say that you were rather large for a cyclist, but you didn't say large in what way, so .....

If you don't like it, don't be shy :D

cyclist.jpg

And one for Alien Cachers

alienav.jpg

These are perfect. Now for the next question. Do I save ot from the post or does it have to be in a different format or something?

Thanks Again

Wooden Cyclist

Here's mine for Jake anyhoo... the one made already is fabulous, so Jake you can use whichever you like I suppose :D

1) With Pennsylvania in it:

Larger:

2cntgjq.jpg

2vlwhg7.jpg

2) With the World in it:

Larger:

307q2ww.jpg

2eumzhe.jpg

3) With no background:

Larger:

4hcu9l.jpg

4)

2ewmzyd.jpg

-Rozie

Edited by nymphnsatyr

These are perfect. Now for the next question. Do I save ot from the post or does it have to be in a different format or something?

Thanks Again

Wooden Cyclist

Right click on the image and choose "save as" and it will save to your computer and then you do the normal avatar procedure on the geocaching site.

Is there anyone else I can help with who hasn't been helped yet, or Doug, since you're swamped, can I help take anything off your plate?

-Rozie

Doug told me he ws working on something for TechnomageUK, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind someone else putting something out too. I played around a bit but came up short.

Then there's wa3. I don't know if they have anything yet or not. The problem is that if you don't see their first post, and they get an avatar, you never know if what they have is the finished one or not. :D

I used to do this for a computer help forum a couple of years ago, but there we had our own private forum where we were assigned jobs in rotation. Easier to keep track that way :D

The worst thing on here is you will get a request, work on an image, and the requester never comes back! I have started sending a PM to let them know I finished one for them.

Oh well .. it's all good! :D

Cool :P I'll work on some things this afternoon. Technomage is a Babylon 5 Reference isn't it? (Probably mentioned back in the thread, I didn't get a chance to read back to far yesterday before my meeting). My husband is REALLY into that... he calls himself a technomage actually, so he's got TONS of great imagery that I can use.

I will also look back for the WA3 posting, and something for the psychologist with a couch.

I usually get off work around six (Pacific Time) and that's when I'll get a chance to work on these.

This is fun :D

-Rozie

Cool :P I'll work on some things this afternoon. Technomage is a Babylon 5 Reference isn't it? (Probably mentioned back in the thread, I didn't get a chance to read back to far yesterday before my meeting). My husband is REALLY into that... he calls himself a technomage actually, so he's got TONS of great imagery that I can use.

I will also look back for the WA3 posting, and something for the psychologist with a couch.

I usually get off work around six (Pacific Time) and that's when I'll get a chance to work on these.

This is fun :D

-Rozie

Thanks for the enthusiasm... I am working with the Wa3 thing, they had their own image... I think I can do something there. I think that is what they want, so I'm just squaring it up for now and slightly modifying it to 'balance'. Good on the other things. I'm also working on the TCSI bits, but don't mind others there, but what you don't see is the email stuff... BC gave me some advice on the image output issue and that is starting to show some results... at least as far as the compression stuff. Best thing for all is to take on all the new ones like the shrink there... I'm just going to clean up loose ends for a bit. I gave BC a list of what I thought was outstanding. I've got product to Lydford, TEK, Lazy sunbathers (which I'm improving all the time). Jake got his concept and you guys took on... I think he might want a GPSr, but he will comment.

Good on Wooden Cyclist and son. And you want to tackle the technomage... and psychy... After that it's open season. I got to go find some work, to replace the vanished retirement fund... doesn't everyone?

I'm still going to be here.. of course... Would like to do some caching too! Once the spring snowstorm melts... again... still... etc.

I HAVE to post up a few of my ideas so that all that time isn't lost. Good on the technomage one. I pulled a few webimages to play with, but it's hard, since they mostly stand around doing things 'mentally'. I'll let you have that one... and any new ones for now.

Good work, I'm going to learn a lot from you too, I think.

Doug

I am a Psychologist. Something with a couch would be great. Thank you.

I don't suppose you trade hours... sigh!

I'm fried, but as for ideas, my first thought turns to a 'couch' potato getting over his fear of frying... :P

Try that idea nymphnsatyr! BC and others...

Doug

-Rozie

Thanks for the enthusiasm... I am working with the Wa3 thing, they had their own image... I think I can do something there. I think that is what they want, so I'm just squaring it up for now and slightly modifying it to 'balance'.

Doug

Hi there

I was able to change the avatar on the left of the forum thanks to Dougs mail, but I'm not thrilled with the result. It's resized and doesn't look like it should. I'm not fond of the red color for "Wa3" ...

The bug I made is something I just tried but if one of you have a better idea ... why not. If I think it's better, I'll use it!

My original question was:

Can anybody help me with an avatar where there is still a travel bug in, but somewhat reformed and in colour? I haven't got much inspiration myself ...

"Wa3" is a reference to our kids (parts of their names put together), so I don't know if you can do anthing with that... Most of the time we go caching with our team of four: 2 children, my wife and myself.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by wa3

[

Hi there

I was able to change the avatar on the left of the forum thanks to Dougs mail, but I'm not thrilled with the result. It's resized and doesn't look like it should. I'm not fond of the red color for "Wa3" ...

The bug I made is something I just tried but if one of you have a better idea ... why not. If I think it's better, I'll use it!

Thanks a lot!

I'm slightly redoing that one a bit... others may have other offerings.. Glad the notes helped. Let me know if they were either overkill or confusing...

That squishing is normal, and why we tend to do the reducing ourselves if possible... also why text tends to dissappear or blur out.

Note. I've been in touch with the Lydford Locators... They seem to have switched the avatar and profile images, and should be corrected soon.

Doug

Doug!! I totally hear ya about the depleted funds stuff... we just shelled out our entire savings account for taxes (yay self-employment). :P

Anyhoo, I'm done working a little early today and the hubby is off on a motorcycle ride up to Portland, so I am listening to my favorite talk radio show and playing with avatars :D

So on my list is:

Technomage

Psychy

and I'll take a whack at the Snoopy Joe Cool

I have some ideas for W3 if you do need help...

-Rozie