Avatar Creation Requests, Submissions, And Help.

Hi all.....Had a Question......Amishhacker was actually working on this but I was thinking I could possibly do it myself since he's so busy. I want to increase the size of my avatar to be able to print out transfers for shirts etc.....How can I do it or can someone help? Thanks

There's a cute Photoshop trick for that.

Normally if you just enlarge a pic from small to large (Image > Image Size, enter the size you need, hit OK) you get a blurry mess.

The trick is to enlarge the image 110%... over and over again until it is the size you want. The image is cleaner then. Then use Unsharp Mask to clean it up a bit.

I have a Photoshop action just for that purpose. Very cool and useful. :laughing:

On the other hand... if you are trying to enlarge it from a tiny 1 inch wide to a foot wide or something big like that... good luck... there is no way to make that look good unless you are willing to put in a lot of cleanup work.

Hi all.....Had a Question......Amishhacker was actually working on this but I was thinking I could possibly do it myself since he's so busy.  I want to increase the size of my avatar to be able to print out transfers for shirts etc.....How can I do it or can someone help?  Thanks

Normally if you just enlarge a pic from small to large (Image > Image Size, enter the size you need, hit OK) you get a blurry mess.

The trick is to enlarge the image 110%... over and over again until it is the size you want. The image is cleaner then. Then use Unsharp Mask to clean it up a bit.

I have a Photoshop action just for that purpose. Very cool and useful. :laughing:

On the other hand... if you are trying to enlarge it from a tiny 1 inch wide to a foot wide or something big like that... good luck... there is no way to make that look good unless you are willing to put in a lot of cleanup work.

Thanks Sparrowhawk! I'll give it a try and see what I can do...Just wanted the image big enough for say a t-shirt transfer. Not anything real big! Getting ready for the "Texas Geochallenge" event in March and wanted to go "sportin" the team logo.....Thanks again. :anibad:

1. Make sure to post more than just asking for one.....what are your ideas....are you male....female....what type of GPS do you have.......what is the meaning of your name.....etc

I have tried to think of something for my new id as I had to change it from Eagleseye to KIDATHEART. I am a male in Minnesota and I think the name implies what all Geocachers are a kid at heart. If possible any idea that incorporates the colors of Geocaching. I like both the cache hunting and also some benchmark hunting. On my Profile I currently have a magnifing glass and "CACHE" partially enlarged. Thanks if you can help with a creative Avatar <_< , and if not, <_< thanks anyways.

KIDATHEART

Well for a quick sum it didn't work.... :sad:  My avatar becomes extremely distorted when you try to resize it.

Huh. That's wierd. I got it up to 5" x 8" just as an experiment and it wasn't too obnoxious. :laughing: Did need a little cleanup, but not really horrible-looking.

Make sure "constrain proportions" is checked in Image Size when you do the 110% setup in actions to start with.

Edited by Sparrowhawk

By the way... to anyone who cannot afford Photoshop, there is a free program you can use while you save your pennies for Adobe.

It's called "GNU Image Manipulation Program" a.k.a. "The GIMP".

It's free, open source. Not a bad program to start with, really. It's good to learn photo manipulation on, at least to start with. Some of the best, most common features in Photoshop are emulated in The GIMP... they actually did a pretty good job of creating the software, considering.

Check it out at: http://www.gimp.org.

Edited by Sparrowhawk

Patudles, I only downloaded The Gimp yesterday so I'm certainly no expert, but your Avatar seemed like a good one to practice on. In no way would I feel hurt if you didn't use it since I am surrounded by true experts on this stuff.

To create the colors, I just used the "color picker" tool to match the geocaching colors, then I replaced the red with the colors...pixel by pixel. I got the checkering effect with dodging/burning.

The PhotoShop/Gimp experts might be able to tell me how to replace the red color with a geocaching color while maintaining the original brightness/saturation but I don't know how yet.

Anyway, enough talk...here's the avatar (note the tiny little geocaching-looking logo right in the knot of the bow!):

c2e05023-42cb-4d7a-a4ea-2c53c7e830c6.jpg

and here is the original for comparison.

dc9113cc-7ac0-4856-b13c-831a45e4650e.jpg

Edited by SwampGoat
Well for a quick sum it didn't work.... :P  My avatar becomes extremely distorted when you try to resize it.

HELP AMISHHACKER!!!!!

When I get home I will pull out the original. I do not think I created a higer rez picture but I will see what I have. It may be hard to get a good lookin T out of it.

Thanks Amishhacker! I tried several different things and couldn't get it to increase and still look good.

Mine may be tricky.. normally I can do what I want but I'm having trouble making this one.

I want a good cthulhu avatar to use as a stamp/sig card as well.

I want it in the style of my current avatar (kind of cartoonish I guess) but a little different.

Here is a picture of my cthulhu tattoo - what I think cthulhu should look like.

cthulhutat.jpg

Remember I want it to be kind of simple so it could possible be a rubber stamp and in a similar style to my current.. but I'd rather not use my current as my permanant logo as I do not know the source of where the image came from.

You might want to try the Genuine Fractals Plugin. It is made specially for enlarging photos. I have PhotoShop 5.0 LE and have used the plugin several times up to about 300% with good luck. Unfortunately, I can't provide a link to obtain it since I received it on a software disk with my digital camera.

Mine may be tricky.. normally I can do what I want but I'm having trouble making this one.

I want a good cthulhu avatar to use as a stamp/sig card as well.

I want it in the style of my current avatar (kind of cartoonish I guess) but a little different.

Here is a picture of my cthulhu tattoo - what I think cthulhu should look like.

Remember I want it to be kind of simple so it could possible be a rubber stamp and in a similar style to my current.. but I'd rather not use my current as my permanant logo as I do not know the source of where the image came from.

Is this one "simplified" enough ?

I could probably knock back a few details still, or am I even on the right track with this ?

As always - I can e-mail you the line art in EPS format, just e-mail me a request if you need it for stamps, cards etc.

d72ad307-ceaf-4f83-baab-8d2708c48bd0.jpg

Edited by Dino Hunters
Thats awesome!  Is there anyway I could get that same thing but bigger so I can try to edit out the chest and the wing pointing out from behind his head?

I've been trying to do the same thing basically but I guess I don't have enough photoshop experience .

which bit is the chest ?

I can remove bits, since it is a vector on my computer.

Maybe like this ?

e79715ea-247e-40a7-8f08-5b9778a7c846.jpg

Edited by Dino Hunters

it is kind of hard to tell whats what in that picture... when you can see the entire tattoo it all makes sense but yes you deleted what I wanted to get rid of.

There are some parts around the face that need to be darkened in but I may beable to do it... do you have that same line drawing but bigger?

Not to get OT but just incase you were wondering, cthulhu is a fictional character from a series of short horror stories written in the 1920s-1930s, it was said that he had 'a pulpy squid like head, with rudimentary wings on a human caracture'

You can read the stories here > The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft

I'm not surprised you recognized mine, cthulhu. I'm registered on your OG group with the same screen name. I'm hoping that CR can make me a nice 1" stamp from the image I sent him. I'll use it in logbooks. I'd like to get it as an avatar, but I am not sure it will resize enough to be clear.

--Vic303

Well I confess that at first I thought your site was the 'other' one devoted to JMB's finest creation, and then I learned otherwise when I went there, but I liked what I saw & stuck around as a lurker. I tend to pick up on little things related to our other mutual hobby!

--Vic

test

2nd times the charm.

Would someone be kind enough to alter the background color to match the forums and change the accent lines to correspond with the logo colors?

I would also appreciate an EPS for the image so the local stamp shop can make me a blank for a sig item.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work.

Edited by marvin1226

Webscouter, just go to www.kcchiefs.com, and the last image lower right column is for the Chiefs Direct link. It's got your arrowhead logo. Right-click to copy image and save it as a JPG or GIF and go from there. The whole image is actually just about perfect for an avatar if you crop it. You might want to 'alter' it for any copyright infractions you would want to avoid. I'd post it here. but can't get the image link to load right.

--Vic

Still needing an avitar for KC Chiefs someone please, anyone?

webscouter - I was leaving this one for others who may know more about KC or the NFL etc, but a web search pulled up some photos of Arrowhead, and this is a possibility from your suggestion.

E-mail me if you'd like me to email you the EPS line art file.

3ababc35-245f-4e60-befa-0401dde186b5.jpg

Still needing an avitar for KC Chiefs someone please, anyone?

webscouter - I was leaving this one for others who may know more about KC or the NFL etc, but a web search pulled up some photos of Arrowhead, and this is a possibility from your suggestion.

E-mail me if you'd like me to email you the EPS line art file.

3ababc35-245f-4e60-befa-0401dde186b5.jpg

Dino,

That is exactly what I had in mind. Could you send the EPS to me at webscouterNOSPAM@kc.rr.com? Thanks

Can somebody help out with mine? I can email you a better sized image to view, but I don't have the software to make it a line art type of file, and to be honest, a b/w line art would be a lot more viewable I can tell.

Thanks--just let me know where to email the file.

--Vic303

Can somebody help out with mine? I can email you a better sized image to view, but I don't have the software to make it a line art type of file, and to be honest, a b/w line art would be a lot more viewable I can tell.

Thanks--just let me know where to email the file.

--Vic303

you can email to ...

gps_dino_hunters(REMOVE SPAM BLOCK)@yahoo.com