I Need A New Gps

Worf's Pack

In Sept 2002 I bought an used Etrex for 60 bucks. I didn't want to buy somthing that I might never use new. Today we did our 100 cache and my etrex was telling me it was 60ft away. We were on top off a hill. My only real pet pieve is there is about seven times we wound up on the wrong side of rivers. I see logs when people complain that the coord's were 15 ft off. For me 45ft is a given. I NEED ADVICE ON WHAT GPS TO UPGRADE TO.

You really aren't going to get better accuracy with an upgrade, just more features. Not sure why your eTrex would consistently be so far off, but in theory, you shouldn't see much difference between your cheap eTrex and a brand new 60CS, or a Meri Platnium.

Anyway, I've been using the eTrex Vista for the past 2 years and the eTrex Legend before that and I rarely have a problem, so its not a problem with the eTrex itself. Maybe something with your particular unit? Have you upgraded your unit's software recently? Have you tried a reset of the unit (careful, it will wipe out everything on it and start fresh)? Have you thought about sending it to Garmin for an overhaul (though that will cost you as much as the unit originally did)?

The last software update for my etrex was June 2002. I did it back then. since all my waypoints are also on my laptop I'll try a reset. But I do want to upgrade. My 9 year old

is going to Sante fe this summer and wants to go caching with Granpa. He called dibbs on the etrex. I have a gps38 I use mostly as a compase while driving. I think I want a mapping feature, right now I bring my laptop along with delorme Topo and Street atlas(which I used in a plane once pretty cool). A usb port would be useful. How good is waas capability I thought that had to do with the FAA installing ground stations.

Well if money is no object, the Garmin 60CS is a veeeery nice unit. And since the 60 series came out, the GPS V is a great value. I've seen it as low as $299 nowadays. It's still the same excellent unit it was when it was almost $500.

I'm partial to my eTrex Vista. I like its compact size and one handed operation.

I've personally found little difference with WAAS on and off, so I don't bother with it.

Edited by briansnat

I recently purchase a Magellan SporTrak color. I absolutely love it. I just hope I don't lose this one. <_< As far as your eTrex, it sounds like you have a problem with the unit, or you need to reinitialize it. But don't let that stop you from getting a new GPS. Buying stuff is fun! At at prises like this you can't afford NOT to. (Sorry, my inner salesman just surfaced.)

I just "replaced" my Etrex Vista with a Magellan Meridian Gold. Man that SD card sure is nice for storing tons of waypoints to be able to quickly upload a different set for a different area......Also, the screen size on the Gold is a bit bigger than the Etrex which is nice.

I recently purchase a Magellan SporTrak color

I recently wrote a GPS review for Scientific American among the units I tried out the:

Magellan SporTrak color an excellent unit for suburban caching - the difference between roads and creeks is quite excellent!

and the Garmin 60CS if you are looking for a rugged type with great functions.

I also reviewed the sportrak map, etrex legend which are both dependable.

The geko series may be too simplistic for your planned use.