Thanks Jeremy

I just wanted to formally thank Jeremy.

I have a hobby that even with high gas prices, is one of the cheapest out there. I thoroughly enjoy caching, and I plan vacations and weekends around hitting new areas with caches.

I have visited over 100 state parks and WMA's that I would have never gone to without geocaching.

I have seen more scenic views in the last 2 years than the last 31.

I have now been to all 55 counties in WV.

I've got out of the house and exercised more in the last 2 years than in the previous 10.

I have a hobby that my children and I love, and I have more fun spending time with my family. When I asked my 9 year old daughter what she wanted to do on her birthday, she said caching.

I go with my wife, my children, my mom, and even once with my grandmother. Four generations!

I have met and made dozens of new friends through geocaching.

I have a nice diversion when I go on long milage trips.

Life is good.

Thanks!

Mike

Well said mikedx! You have captured in words how I (and I'm guessing a bunch of other geocachers) feel about this hobby of ours. What did we ever do without it? It is a great past time for so many reasons. It holds something for almost everyone. I know I for one think my life is better for it. Thank you all!

I do alot of travel. My job when I travel requires me to work at night. Since geocaching now I go out and hike instead of trying to kill all day in a mall. <_<

Funny though I'm still gaining weight!! :lol:

My wife and I have found several parks right near us that we never knew existed. My son, now 7, has been going on caches with me now for two years.

Thanks to geocaching.

Eric K

Aint life grand? Since I started Geocaching, my wife left me, they repo'd her car, my son moved out and one of my favorite dogs died--and I can link each of these events directly to caching! (But I still do it!)

Man, I really hate that about the dog! <_<

I just wanted to formally thank Jeremy.

I have a hobby that even with high gas prices, is one of the cheapest out there.  I thoroughly enjoy caching, and I plan vacations and weekends around hitting new areas with caches.

I have visited over 100 state parks and WMA's that I would have never gone to without geocaching.

I have seen more scenic views in the last 2 years than the last 31.

I have now been to all 55 counties in WV.

I've got out of the house and exercised more in the last 2 years than in the previous 10.

I have a hobby that my children and I love, and I have more fun spending time with my family.  When I asked my 9 year old daughter what she wanted to do on her birthday, she said caching. 

I go with my wife, my children, my mom, and even once with my grandmother.  Four generations!

I have met and made dozens of new friends through geocaching.

I have a nice diversion when I go on long milage trips.

Life is good.

Thanks!

Mike

Why not thank the many thousands of people who have gone out and hidden the caches that you like to seek? As much as I admire Jeremy for the effort he's put into this website; he is not geocaching. We are.

Why not thank the many thousands of people who have gone out and hidden the caches that you like to seek? As much as I admire Jeremy for the effort he's put into this website; he is not geocaching. We are.

But he, through his efforts at Groundspeak, make our efforts possible. Without either one the sport would not exist. And he, and TPTB, take all the heat & grief. So I will also add my voice to the might "Thank you" that needs be raised!

But he, through his efforts at Groundspeak, make our efforts possible. Without either one the sport would not exist. And he, and TPTB, take all the heat & grief. So I will also add my voice to the might "Thank you" that needs be raised!

He saw an opportunity to make money and he ran with it. No need to deify him. So many sheep, so few shepherds.

He saw an opportunity to make money and he ran with it. No need to deify him. So many sheep, so few shepherds.

I see you've not been here that long. It was about a year and half before there was any paid membership on this site. So how was he making that money? If the only reason was making money, why is there any free access?

We aren't deifying anyone, but he did get this sport oginized.

I see you've not been here that long. It was about a year and half before there was any paid membership on this site. So how was he making that money? If the only reason was making money, why is there any free access?

We aren't deifying anyone, but he did get this sport oginized.

Some people see a glass half full and believe it's a bad thing.

Why not thank the many thousands of people who have gone out and hidden the caches that you like to seek?  As much as I admire Jeremy for the effort he's put into this website; he is not geocaching.  We are.

Ehh... Does not compute! <_<

We ARE geocaching and we ARE recognizing, in this thread, the one person who made a great contribution to getting us to all the places and activities mikedx listed and more.

There are many people to thank. Volunteer approvers, gc.com staff, new friends we've met, property owners who get a kick out of geocachers, park managers who are allowing this experiment to unfold in their territory, help we get from other cachers, and more.

But this thread chose to recognize one person.

The poster listed several experiences they have had over the past two years and drew a contrast with the previous 30+ years. They are expressing thanks for that change. We (Team Sagefox) have made the same comments to ourselves, almost word for word that mikedx has voiced here.

Feel free to start a new topic about geocachers creating a god from a mere mortal if you want or a topic thanking cache placers but why introduce a negative comment into this perfectly benign recognition?

Edited by Team Sagefox
Why not thank the many thousands of people who have gone out and hidden the caches that you like to seek?  As much as I admire Jeremy for the effort he's put into this website; he is not geocaching.  We are.

Ehh... Does not compute! :unsure:

We ARE geocaching and we ARE recognizing, in this thread, the one person who made a great contribution to getting us to all the places and activities mikedx listed and more.

There are many people to thank. Volunteer approvers, gc.com staff, new friends we've met, property owners who get a kick out of geocachers, park managers who are allowing this experiment to unfold in their territory, help we get from other cachers, and more.

But this thread chose to recognize one person.

The poster listed several experiences they have had over the past two years and drew a contrast with the previous 30+ years. They are expressing thanks for that change. We (Team Sagefox) have made the same comments to ourselves, almost word for word that mikedx has voiced here.

Feel free to start a new topic about geocachers creating a god from a mere mortal if you want or a topic thanking cache placers but why introduce a negative comment into this perfectly benign recognition?

There is absolutely nothing negative about my statement. Reread it a few times if you must and then get back to me. Thanks.

As much as I admire Jeremy for the effort he's put into this website; he is not geocaching.  We are.
No need to deify him.
There is absolutely nothing negative about my statement. Reread it a few times if you must and then get back to me. Thanks.

But negativity is implied in the statement.

TL-

Half full or half empty? Depends on whether I'm pouring or drinking!

We also thank Jeremy for his vision and work. Geocaching has enriched our lives and could not have happened without the Web Site, which constantly amazes with its new features. I have disagreed with him on policies and have voiced them at times. But ultimately, he is the benevolent dictator of Geocaching, and we acknowledge that. And he's done a great job! Long live the Frog!

As much as I admire Jeremy for the effort he's put into this website; he is not geocaching.  We are.
No need to deify him.

But negativity is implied in the statement.

TL-

Half full or half empty? Depends on whether I'm pouring or drinking!

Nothing implied; they are just words, read them as they are written. It's not rocket science.

O.K. let me try it out.

Why not thank the many thousands of people who have gone out and hidden the caches that you like to seek?

Without declaring your thoughts on the content of the original post other than to quote it your intent is unclear. Many people, including me, will infer that you believe the topic is deficient because it left out something important. A benign topic such as this need not be considered deficient. Agree with it, add to it, or shoot it down if you like but it seems unnecessary to me to suggest that this thank-you topic SHOULD have included others.

To make it clear that your original post is not negative you could have quoted it entirely or in part and then said something like: "Cool! And I think we should also thank the many thousands of people…" No doubt about the intent of that statement.

Or you if you didn't like the original sentiment you could have not quoted the post and said something like: I think we should thank the many thousands of people…" Gets your point across without implying that something wrong with the original topic.

As much as I admire Jeremy…

Oh, oh. The hammer is about to drop.

…for the effort he's put into this website; he is not geocaching.  We are.

Hammer drops. You italicized the word "not" for emphasis. What does this statement have to do with whether or not the topic thanking him needs to have anyone else added? It does confirm to the reader that your first sentence was, in fact, negative and is a declaration that there is something wrong with the topic.

I believe Mr. Irish has found some caches. Is it that he has not found enough of them? Does it matter to you how many caches a person finds?

He saw an opportunity to make money and he ran with it. No need to deify him.

"No need to deify him." This is not negative?

So many sheep, so few shepherds.

Now we are pretty clear about what you meant in your original post. And, you have now have insulted thousands of people. How is that not negative?

I originally quoted your first post after you had posted all of the above.

Nothing implied; they are just words, read them as they are written. It's not rocket science.

We can follow that logic up with "A knife is just a knife. A handgun is just a handgun." But it is HOW they are used that makes the difference. I am only responding to you now because you claim your posts are not negative.

Well, there you have it. How did I do?

Well, there you have it. How did I do?

Not very well. Thanks for trying though. :bad:

We've read them as written, and explained how they sound. Team Sagefox gave a clear explianation of what we understand you to say. You say we aren't reading them right, so how about explaining what you mean - in detail so no mistakes are made in our understanding.

Sigh. A simple thank you has turned into a silly debate.

1) I really appreciate the work Jeremy has done to build and drive this site. I don't appreciate him beyond the appreciation I give to anyone who does a hard job, but I also certainly don't appreciate him less!

2) I also really appreciate the work of all the Geocachers who actually place caches for us to find, and find the caches we place.

Seems you need both - a place for the Geocachers to meet and share information, and the Geocachers, too...

What's so strange to me is that my reading of some comments on this thread makes me concerned that some feel that it is important to support the second point so much, that the first has to be downplayed in order to create a greater distinction between it and the second. How silly.

The fact that Jeremy makes money off the site - however much or little that is - has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that if it weren't for his drive and effort, Geocaching would have had a greater chance of becoming a short-term fad. Also, his site would be rather dull if it did not have real geocachers associated with it.

Sounds like we need both, folks.