I Wish Geocaching Was Around Back When......

my grandpa would have been young enough and healthier enough to go with me. He would love this game! I feel guilty even telling him about my adventures. I can see it in his eyes that he would love to be out there tromping all over Gods Creation with me. It makes me sad.

What's yours?

It would have been great if geocaching were around 20 or so years ago so that my Dad could play. He loved to explore the woods so I'm sure he would enjoy it, but he is a little past his woods exploring days now.

Still, I'm grateful that geocaching is around right now so that I can enjoy it with my own kids.

Why not take him out on some easy ones?

I really wish I could. But he just doesn't have the legs for it anymore. I would feel terrible if I took him out and something happened. I think my grandma would go on a few with me. She likes to walk. But then I would get that guilty feeling again leaving my grandpa behind. Sucks. I just want someone to see all the cool places I see when out and about. I think geocaching is a great thing to do to spend quality time with someone, but it just came around too late. I still geocache with my 5 year old and am glad we found something we both love to do. I just hope she still likes it when she is a teenager...lol

I really wish I could. But he just doesn't have the legs for it anymore. I would feel terrible if I took him out and something happened. I think my grandma would go on a few with me. She likes to walk. But then I would get that guilty feeling again leaving my grandpa behind. Sucks. I just want someone to see all the cool places I see when out and about. I think geocaching is a great thing to do to spend quality time with someone, but it just came around too late. I still geocache with my 5 year old and am glad we found something we both love to do. I just hope she still likes it when she is a teenager...lol

Here's a thought from someone that isn't too far away from not being able to get out and around enough to geocache. Buy a digital camera or a camcorder. Take a lot of pictures of you and your daughter geocaching. Make sure you are in the pictures too.

Most digital cameras or camcorders allow you to hook up to a TV to run a slide show or show the movies. Go to his place, and show him the fun you are having. If possible, get him involved in looking over prospective cache hunts and helping you decide which ones to go on next. Or let him flat out pick one -- make it a big deal. Go by his place on the way to the hunt. Show him what you are taking along. Stop back by on the way home. Show him the pictures of the cache HE picked.

I'll just bet he'll be as excited as you are, will want to tell his neighbors about "the cache hunt I sent them youngsters on."

my oldest brother died 2 years ago, and although geocaching was around then, my family hadn't heard of it yet. john would go spend hours hiking in the woods and birdwatching all by himself everyweek. geocaching would have made it even better. i regret he never got to do a cache. he would have loved it.

I wish Geocashing had been around when my children were younger. I ran into a geocacher a couple of weeks ago while I was doing a maintenance run on my caches. He had his two young boys with him (Maybe 5 & 6?). One was holding the GPS and following the signal. What a great family activity. A "treasure" hunt every weekend if you want. My children are older and don't see the magic of finding hidden boxes and treasure. It's still fun, but I don't know how many times I have told my husband I wish we had been able to share this with out children when they were still at that magical age.

Here's a thought from someone that isn't too far away from not being able to get out and around enough to geocache. Buy a digital camera or a camcorder. Take a lot of pictures of you and your daughter geocaching. Make sure you are in the pictures too.

Most digital cameras or camcorders allow you to hook up to a TV to run a slide show or show the movies. Go to his place, and show him the fun you are having. If possible, get him involved in looking over prospective cache hunts and helping you decide which ones to go on next. Or let him flat out pick one -- make it a big deal. Go by his place on the way to the hunt. Show him what you are taking along. Stop back by on the way home. Show him the pictures of the cache HE picked.

I'll just bet he'll be as excited as you are, will want to tell his neighbors about "the cache hunt I sent them youngsters on."

DOH!!!! This is a great idea Team Asperno!! But it sparked another idea I just thought of! I could hide a cache for him! He lives on old farm that used to be a train stop and had a school and gobs of other interesting historical stuff attached to it. There's not much to see anymore as far as buildings, except for the old school but it might be interesting to the history buffs in the area. Oh man, he would love that! There's also an cemetary just a 1/4 mile from his farm that is one of the oldest in the county. I really like your idea but thought of this one as I was reading yours. I can't get him to a cache but I think he would love to maintain one on his own property. This sounds like fun!