Best Ppc Software

Hambone

I have tried to use both Mobipocket and GPX Sonar for my Ipaq and I am not satisfied with either. First the Mobipocket does not let you page up, only down, and the hints (I use them!!!) are in an appendix.

GPX Sonar has died. Whenever I attempt to load a newly genereated GPX file I get an error "No Caches Match Your Criteria." Plus GPX Sonar will not let you do a search by waypoint name (alphabetical). You have to scan the entire list looking for the waypoint name.

I am done with Mobipocket. GPX Sonar has a slight chance.

I was wondering:

1) Am I not using Sonar correctly and thats why no caches match my criteria?

2) Am I blind and can't find the search function.

Next.

If I can't resolve these problems what other software is out there (free not like iSolo where you only get an evaluation period) that will adequately handle .gpx files and be very user friendly.

I used GPX Sonar for a shortwhile before I dropped my PPC which wiped everything out. I really like the program. I don't know anything about the error code so can't help you there. I also am unaware of an actual search function. But, if you tap on the column heading for waypoint name, the caches will re-order in alphabetical order (A - Z) by waypoint name. Tap it again and they will be Z - A. Hope this helps.

GPX Sonar will not let you do a search by waypoint name (alphabetical). 

The newest version of GpxSonar DOES have a search feature...

• On the menu, choose List / Filters
  • Highlight 'Search' then hit the Config button.
  • Enter the search word then choose Exact or Partial
  • Press X on this Search window.
  • Make sure the the Search checkbox is clicked ON
  • Press 'Apply'

And, as somebody else mentioned, you can also just click the column header to sort the waypoints alphabetically.

GPX Sonar has died. Whenever I attempt to load a newly genereated GPX file I get an error "No Caches Match Your Criteria."

Sounds like you have one or more bogus Filters enabled. Go to List / Filters and make sure all the checkboxes are cleared.

If I can't resolve these problems what other software is out there (free not like iSolo where you only get an evaluation period) that will adequately handle .gpx files and be very user friendly.

There's also GpxView available here. Similar to GpxSonar, but missing many of the features. Sort of like a "GpxSonar-Lite".

Also, it's worth reading this article: Geocaching with a PocketPC FAQ. It gives pros/cons of the software out there (GpxSonar, Mobipocket, etc.). Beware that the info is a little out of date, though: it talks about certain software not running on WM2003, for example, which is not true at all anymore. Also, I think their timing benchmarks may have been done on an older/slower PocketPC; e.g. they talk about GpxSonar being significantly faster than GpxView whereas I find very little difference and only see a very slight edge with GpxSonar). (I have an iPAQ 4150, btw).