Hardest Geocache

On 7/29/2017 at 9:11 PM, Fish_fantasy said:

GC53318 gets my vote.

Oof.  No thanks.

Interesting reading through the logs.  When the cache was new, the owner posted a couple OM logs.  Lately all they've done is to re-enable the cache each time it's been disabled by the same reviewer as needing owner attention.  Surprised that the reviewer hasn't left more feedback on the cache page -- but then they may have taken the conversations offline.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, hzoi said:

Oof.  No thanks.

Interesting reading through the logs.  When the cache was new, the owner posted a couple OM logs.  Lately all they've done is to re-enable the cache each time it's been disabled by the same reviewer as needing owner attention.  Surprised that the reviewer hasn't left more feedback on the cache page -- but then they may have taken the conversations offline.

+1  Agree.

For me, "hardest cache" would have to be one that really challenges you, D and T, not one that's simply a pain-in-the-can to find.  :)

I was wondering why all these caches at the start of the thread were archived...until I read the date the thread was started.

I've searched for Bates Motel once and there really isn't much at GZ to check. I have no idea (nor does anyone else, it seems) where, or what,  the cache could possibly be.

One cache I've had on my radar for the past few years is The Beast of Big Island My brother-in-law has a cabin nearby and I go up once a year for a weekend in the summer...but, just haven't been able to find the free time to even start on the cache.

First, I just want to go on record saying I agree with fizzymagic.  "Hard" can mean a lot of different things.  Some puzzle caches in Cincinnati were eventually archived once reviewers determined that the CO likely made unsolvable puzzles full of gobblygook.  Other hides are the "needle in a haystack" variety.  I really don't enjoy those although I have found some rather difficult ones.  Nothing clever about throwing a nano container in a thicket of brush and labeling it a 5D.  

Despite my distaste for those kinds of hides, I would say that as long as there is actually a hide at the given coordinates (and I am sure some of these unfound hides might be completely bogus or use fuzzy coordinates), they make for some of the toughest hides.  I have never seen this one, but it seems to be a really difficult needle in the haystack kind

http://coord.info/GC4MZ8P  

On 8/3/2017 at 4:47 PM, geocat_ said:

First, I just want to go on record saying I agree with fizzymagic.  "Hard" can mean a lot of different things.  Some puzzle caches in Cincinnati were eventually archived once reviewers determined that the CO likely made unsolvable puzzles full of gobblygook.  Other hides are the "needle in a haystack" variety.  I really don't enjoy those although I have found some rather difficult ones.  Nothing clever about throwing a nano container in a thicket of brush and labeling it a 5D.  

Despite my distaste for those kinds of hides, I would say that as long as there is actually a hide at the given coordinates (and I am sure some of these unfound hides might be completely bogus or use fuzzy coordinates), they make for some of the toughest hides.  I have never seen this one, but it seems to be a really difficult needle in the haystack kind

http://coord.info/GC4MZ8P  

That looks hard. I do agree that there must be some combination of terrain and difficulty, and with that being a T3, it has to be pretty tricky. I was just pointing out how some caches are so hard they almost can't be found.

On 7/31/2017 at 2:38 PM, Crow-T-Robot said:

One cache I've had on my radar for the past few years is The Beast of Big Island My brother-in-law has a cabin nearby and I go up once a year for a weekend in the summer...but, just haven't been able to find the free time to even start on the cache.

That looks very hard as well, but more from a terrain aspect. There are definitely many different ways to interpret the word "hard".