Hardest Geocache

I'm looking for the hardest geocache. I'm from Omaha, NE so I'd actually like to see opinions from here, but anywhere would be great. If it's not obvious from the cache page why it is so difficult, then please explain. My votes go to "Tower 2" in Albuquerque, NM and "Evil Inside" in Omaha, NE. Let's judge it by the number of logged finds per period of time. thanks

This new one has the locals stumped GCJE8V "Down the Rabbit-Hole" (apologies for the inability to insert an actual link) and as a bonus the cache owner got dinged up placing the cache. Although to be honest it is rated a 5/4. I'm going to try it this weekend.

(EDIT) Let's see if this will work.....

GCJE8V

Edited by Q2XL

The toughest one I've heard of is Blood and Guts in Virginia. The first people to find it consisted of a team of 12 who spent 3 weeks and over 500 collective hours to solve it and make the find.

It does have a bunch of finds, but in each case it was a team working together to solve it. I don't believe an individual has logged a find on it yet.

Edited by briansnat

I worked really hard for a DNF on Devils Lake Revisited. I'm sure it's not the hardest one out there, but for one that doesn't require special equipment to find, it must rank pretty high.

Here's a snippet of someone's log.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the footing of a billy goat, and I slipped and fell on the boulders. 4 hours later and the assistance of three rescue teams who just happened to be practicing emergency maneuvers that day, I found myself in the hospital and received over 150 stitches and a broken arm.

Matt

I change my vote to that one.

I dunno. Terrain is definitely a 5+ but it really looks like its nothing more than a 1 or 1.5 difficulty. "...notice the large boulder lying in your way? Take a closer look and you will find a small tupper style box hidden below it." A piece of cake once you get there <_< .

Edited by briansnat

I don't know about the others, but Tube Torcher is not that hard. It's fairly physical and it can take a few hours, but the D isn't really that high. It's the same with our Sissy's Snarky Walk #1. It's physical and the only real D challenge is figuring out how to do the physical part.

We could have made SSW1 a lot harder, but "She Who Must Be Obeyed" vetoed that. Her contention is it must be doable and fun, not frustrating and impossible. So...

Anyway, Tube Torcher is definitely a Do Not Miss, lots of fun, and raises the bar for excellent caches, but far from the hardest cache.

I dunno. Terrain is definitely a 5+ but it really looks like its nothing more than a 1 or 1.5 difficulty. "...notice the large boulder lying in your way? Take a closer look and you will find a small tupper style box hidden below it." A piece of cake once you get there :unsure: .

The terrain isn't that bad either. I did this trek back in 1999 B.C. (before caching). Anybody in decent shape could make it and no special equipment is required. Think of it as a ten-day backpacking trip execept that you don't need to carry food or a tent and you can easlily hire somebody to carry the rest of your stuff for about $12 per day. The only hard (and expensive) part is getting to Nepal and back.

Here are several for you. A multi, a puzzle and a micro.

You already mentioned this one: I haven't tried Evil Inside yet, but have heard that it is difficult both in terrain and hiding.

My Key West cache in Lincoln has stumped a good number of people.

Corner Stop in Shelton (between Grand Island and Kearney) has some DNFs, including mine. It is rated 2 for difficulty, but I think it should be around 4. I was told by another cacher that a group of eight people took 1 and 1/2 hours to find it, even with extra hints given to them by telephone. That one would be a drive for you, but the Kearney area has quite a few nice caches of all types and some nice areas to visit.

Well I have a couple out that might fit the bill:

Above the Garden II. Five finds in 2 years.

Or

Wild Horse Homelands. 2 Finds in 3 years.

Or

Cache Creek # 1. 5 Finds in 2.5 years.

As for the ones we have hunted:

Skull Hollow and Picnic at Hanging Rock both fit the bill.

But, I have also had a few 1/1's that I have had to back several times before finding them.

logscaler.

Evil Inside wasn't that hard. The terrain is a 4 for Nebraska, but our cachers out west would probably call it a 1. The hiding wasn't that hard either. Each drop tooke me a maximum of 5 minutes, except for the second one. the hard part was the clues inside.

Why not judge the "hardest geocache” based on purple-frowny to yellow-smiley ratios?? Of course, only caches with more than just a few logs could be accurately assessed this way; I’m sure there are many caches with only DNF logs.

Not necessarialy a good way to gauge it. For example "Blood and Guts in Virginia" has almost 20 yellow smileys and no purple frowns. That's because the only people to attempt it teamed up with a bunch of others and after several weeks of work, logged the cache together. No individual has dared yet attempt it alone.

I dunno. Terrain is definitely a 5+ but it really looks like its nothing more than a 1 or 1.5 difficulty. "...notice the large boulder lying in your way? Take a closer look and you will find a small tupper style box hidden below it." A piece of cake once you get there :rolleyes: .

The terrain isn't that bad either. I did this trek back in 1999 B.C. (before caching). Anybody in decent shape could make it and no special equipment is required. Think of it as a ten-day backpacking trip execept that you don't need to carry food or a tent and you can easlily hire somebody to carry the rest of your stuff for about $12 per day. The only hard (and expensive) part is getting to Nepal and back.

I wonder why this reminds me Memorial Day weekend....LOL

Evil Inside wasn't that hard. The terrain is a 4 for Nebraska, but our cachers out west would probably call it a 1. The hiding wasn't that hard either. Each drop tooke me a maximum of 5 minutes, except for the second one. the hard part was the clues inside.

It is difficult to find any truly hard terrain caches in Nebraska. Most difficult caches here are going to be puzzles or difficult hides.

I dunno. Terrain is definitely a 5+ but it really looks like its nothing more than a 1 or 1.5 difficulty. "...notice the large boulder lying in your way? Take a closer look and you will find a small tupper style box hidden below it." A piece of cake once you get there :unsure: .

Agreed. I was lucky enough to find this cache on the Tibet side of Mt Everest last spring and it was a typical hide except for the amount of gasping for air one has to go through! Lots of caches in the Himalaya that aren't hard to nab if you're already there.

4.5lb Walleye

Been out for over 10 years now, hasn't been found yet. It's been mentioned in numerous threads about hardest geocaches or longest without a find. Judging from the logs no one has even been able to reach the location to search for it (kinda makes you wonder how the CO got out there to place it in the first place) :ph34r:

No doubt whoever manages to find this one will become an instant Geocaching legend :D

4.5lb Walleye

Been out for over 10 years now, hasn't been found yet. It's been mentioned in numerous threads about hardest geocaches or longest without a find. Judging from the logs no one has even been able to reach the location to search for it (kinda makes you wonder how the CO got out there to place it in the first place) :ph34r:

No doubt whoever manages to find this one will become an instant Geocaching legend :D

Yeah, but it only has one DNF because it is far too remote for most people. That doesn't make it a hard cache, just a remote one.

4.5lb Walleye

Yeah, but it only has one DNF because it is far too remote for most people. That doesn't make it a hard cache, just a remote one.

If I can't get there, it's hard (difficult)!

4.5lb Walleye

Not sure if that cache is still there. Its near a river that change alot.

4.5lb Walleye

But the difficulty is related to the terrain (the effort required to reach ground zero), not the difficulty of finding it once you get there. Of course, as nobody has ever found 4.5 pound Walleye, the difficulty of the hide is only speculative.

4.5lb Walleye

dadgum... I'm almost considering scrapping my Toughest Cache series next summer to go get that one.

I don't have enough holiday time to do both and the wife probably would not let me go that long solo.