Why Can't We Place Locationless Caches

while we want some new and interesting geocaching features in the website the return of locatinless is not a priority.

Logging locationless fins it does a lot of bandwidth and i personally think that locationless are off topic in geocaching sport.

Locationless caches started out as a lark on geocaching. People would look for a "where's in a name" location, or a yellow jeep. Soon, they got to be VERY VERY lame (find a windmill, water tower, bridge, robin, marble, a road, a sidewalk). They also got to be overwhelming in number. Finally due to their lameness and their numbers, a cacher with a good cable modem or T1/T3 line could open several browsers, one to GC's locationless page and several to google. From there, the cacher could find what ever code word was needed to claim the LC and rack up dozens of "finds" from the comfort of their PC. By and large, these just aren't the same game as real geocaching. By this I mean going to a location, hunting for a physical object at the locale. VC's have some lameness potential, especially if the cache owner doesn't set the credit question correctly, but given that you are hunting a physical object and the questions can be constructed so that their answers can't be found on the internet, they persist. LC's went bye-bye and most of us don't miss them much.

I'd agree with the previous poster. I don't see anything wrong with a Locationless cache. Most of them will end up taking you to an interesting location you might not have otherwise gone to.

Sure, some one could cheat, but they could cheat on a real/virtual cache and log it when they didn't.

Some of the locationless caches are silly, but it doesn't make them any less fun and you don't have to do the ones you don't like. When I mention some of the locationless caches to my kids, they stay on the lookout for them. Gives them something to do while we travel around to physical/virtual caches.

Approving any new ones got put on hold after lots of complaining about them (whats good enough whats not, kinda like whats happening with virtuals now). This was apperently taking up large amounts of approver time for a small number of caches, so TPTB stopped all new Locationless from being approved. At the time Jeremy said something like it was just for a few months until a better scheme could be set up to make this easier to deal with them (giving them their own section perhaps??). But as things go it didn't happen on schedule and has been over a year now.

If you want to find out a lot more, look toward the upper right corner and click the 'search' link. Reset the dates to search to something other than just the last months (since today and forever old works pretty good IMO), and search for 'locationless' or 'moratorium'.

(going off a topic a bit...)

On a side note, Bigredmed, how could someone log a find for an LC using google? I mean you could of course cheat and photoshop something you find online. And you can probably use it to locate well known objects (kinda killing much of the actual search), but it still doesn't find them for you. What code word?? :lol:

Hi,

For me the dividing line is found in the use of GPS units...

A virtual cache requires the use of a GPS unit to find a waypoint.

A locationless cache can be found and logged without a GPS unit, or with one without batteries in it (for those requiring photos).

I know its probably not that straightforward, and I'm not advocating one way or another on the issue. I haven't logged any locationless caches yet, and don't have plans to for the simple reason that I don't see it as geocaching (an exception might include a locationless that required using my GPS, as I hear a few do).

nfa

Welch and Renegade Knight provide very good summary answers, so I don't need to add anything to help answer your question.

I do need to note that the topic of the thread is why locationless caches can't be hidden. Debating about whether locationless caches are challenging, lame or whatever is beyond the scope of the "Getting Started" forum.

A locationless cache can be found and logged without a GPS unit, or with one without batteries in it (for those requiring photos).

Actually, most require that you provide the coordinates of the location.

yeahbut...

I click-find the coords of the statue of liberty using topozone, and find a picture of it online without having to go there...the point being that you don't have to find a waypoint with a gps unit

nfa

I didn't get a chance to use my GPS at all in finding this cache.  The associated map is a dead giveaway.

I haven't tried this one yet, but I very much doubt if I'll use my GPS on it either.  I know where this location is.

Perhaps the cache owner should have the option of having the map display and mapping links omitted from the page.  In cases like this one, they make it too easy, even for newbies.  Don't know what can be done about this one, it's a very famous restaurant; and anyone who is in any way familiar with the general area would know exactly where it is without using GPS or maps.

I didn't get a chance to use my GPS at all in finding this cache.  The associated map is a dead giveaway.

I haven't tried this one yet, but I very much doubt if I'll use my GPS on it either.  I know where this location is.

Perhaps the cache owner should have the option of having the map display and mapping links omitted from the page.  In cases like this one, they make it too easy, even for newbies.  Don't know what can be done about this one, it's a very famous restaurant; and anyone who is in any way familiar with the general area would know exactly where it is without using GPS or maps.

the sunset beach cache dosen't require coordinates because of the hint it's a multi-cache too :P:P:huh::P