New Faq Idea

BeadBoy

There is a link to CYBret's Geocacher U site, and specific mention of his fine brochure and his marvelous guide to paperless caching. It can be found in the FAQ thread that is pinned at the top of the "Getting Started" forum.

Whether a link is added to the *website* FAQ page or not, or maybe the "links" page, is a separate question. But regardless of where you put a FAQ, or how many times you repeat it, my considered opinion as a forum moderator who points people every day to the FAQ's is that very few people take the time to read them.

There is a link to CYBret's Geocacher U site, and specific mention of his fine brochure and his marvelous guide to paperless caching. It can be found in the FAQ thread that is pinned at the top of the "Getting Started" forum.

Whether a link is added to the *website* FAQ page or not, or maybe the "links" page, is a separate question. But regardless of where you put a FAQ, or how many times you repeat it, my considered opinion as a forum moderator who points people every day to the FAQ's is that very few people take the time to read them.

Actually, I was looking specifically for a brochure to carry along to use as way of explanation should I ever be stopped and questioned about my "suspicious" activity. B) Geocaching could certainly be misconstrued by the uninitiated.... I would also like to place a cache and wanted to take the brochure over to my local city hall as a way to explain what I wanted to do. So I went to the FAQ page and found nothing in the way of a link to the brochure. Thank heavens for the "search" feature on the forums.

I really think that the brochure should be linked from a page on the main site.

Actually, I was looking specifically for a brochure to carry along to use as way of explanation should I ever be stopped and questioned about my "suspicious" activity. B) Geocaching could certainly be misconstrued by the uninitiated.... I would also like to place a cache and wanted to take the brochure over to my local city hall as a way to explain what I wanted to do. So I went to the FAQ page and found nothing in the way of a link to the brochure. Thank heavens for the "search" feature on the forums.

I really think that the brochure should be linked from a page on the main site.

I strongly suggest talking to other cachers in your area *before* going to your city hall. They may already have permission.

An old thread has been bumped. Nowadays, in addition to the fine and venerable Geocacher University brochure to explain our hobby to others, there is also the official Groundspeak brochure. Choose your favorite, keep a few in the cachemobile and a few with your papers when meeting with land managers. B)

I strongly suggest talking to other cachers in your area *before* going to your city hall. They may already have permission.

not to sound like a smartalek or anything, but just because my neighbor may have permission to burn yard trash doesn't mean that I do. I think it's wise and prudent to seek permission on your own, instead of relying on second-hand permission. :laughing:

Nowadays, in addition to the fine and venerable Geocacher University brochure to explain our hobby to others, there is also the official Groundspeak brochure.

Know where we might find this "official" brochure? I have been unable to locate it.

Nowadays, in addition to the fine and venerable Geocacher University brochure to explain our hobby to others, there is also the official Groundspeak brochure.

Know where we might find this "official" brochure? I have been unable to locate it.

Here is a heaping helping of linky goodness. The Groundspeak brochure can be downloaded as an Adobe Acrobat PDF document.

thanks for the link. I notice that it has a copyright notice on the bottom. Would that prohibit me from taking the pdf somewhere like Fedex/Kinkos to have a set printed out on glossy paper? I've already discovered that printing something like this out on my home printer results in cropped margins and cut-off text.

edit: ah, I finally found out where the link to that brochure is. Found it on the Teachers section of gpsmaze.com. No wonder I couldn't find it earlier; I'm not a teacher :laughing: .

Edited by ScarabDrowner

not to sound like a smartalek or anything, but just because my neighbor may have permission to burn yard trash doesn't mean that I do. I think it's wise and prudent to seek permission on your own, instead of relying on second-hand permission. :laughing:

I may be wrong, but I don't think he was suggesting that one person getting permission means everyone had blanket permission. I took it be that if you they check around they might find out that someone else has already done the leg work and there's functional system in place. It would seem much easier to go to someone that already knows about geocaching for permission instead of starting from scratch. You can go and 'reinvent the wheel' but why?