Duanes New Name? (uiyc)

After getting a good nights rest, I woke up with mixed emotions about changing my user name. What about all the log books I signed as upinyachit out here in CO and in New York. Will geocaching members still recognize my new user name?

I probably will be forgotten and become the average every ordinary Joe. I also would bet that I wouldn't get all this attention either. ( Just kidding)

I never thought that Groundspeak would affect my emotions so much. For some of you, a name change would be easy, but I feel sad. Everyone I know and even my co-employees know me as Upinyachit. I know the offer still stands with

El Diablo, but I need more time to think about. I have about twelve hours left before the offer is closed. I am off to go finish building this house, so I will make a decision in about nine hours.

Would my 90% warning level be squashed? LOL

Duane

I was going to vote Duane, but based on this, I think upinyacache is a good compromise. It removes the part that offends some and keeps the name recognizable as you.

With that said, I don't think you have to change your name, and I was never offended by it (although I won't say it, and will call you Duane instead), but I do think it is a good idea to change it. As I said before, it would cause less angst, which I always think is a good thing. I think it would also be a good gesture on your part.

As I said before, it would cause less angst,

Sorry, but if a simple username cause anyone angst, they need to take a vacation IMO.

I vote for: Upinyacht - just remove 1 simple letter. Of course, then there would be outcrys from everywhere-

"As a yacht owner, I am extremely offended that you would use a username the depicts you pee'in on a yacht"

Darn Crybabies!

Stand your ground Duane.

Agreed. No need to give up your identity. If Keystone Approver can get drunk and post "Buttmunch" in the topic of a thread and get away with it, your handle pales in comparison to what he did. Stick to your guns, if you change it, I will lose any respect I had for you.

Stand your ground Duane.

Agreed. No need to give up your identity. If Keystone Approver can get drunk and post "Buttmunch" in the topic of a thread and get away with it, your handle pales in comparison to what he did. Stick to your guns, if you change it, I will lose any respect I had for you.

how do you know KA was drunk? were you at his home that night? that's a cheap shot. for the record, the name upinyachit is no big deal to me. keep it if it makes you happy.

just because someone is a mod doesn't make them open season for slander.

Upinyanated.

Hahahahahahah, Your name is extremely apt, as that is Very witty

Oh, and the Duane the Bathtub.....ROFLMAO on that one too. Now this is entertainment!

Oh, and I could care less too, but I really think it isn't a good thing to get too attached to an online name...I use golanv almost everywhere, well, I used to anyhow when I was more active online. Now'a'days, I have branched out and I use different names in different places.

As for your co-workers knowing you by that name....do I really want to know? well, yes, actually Duane, I am a bit curious. Could you please share why it is that your co-workers identify you this way? I am sure there is a story there.

Honestly though, it is no big deal. Try to relax. Hardly any of us have ever met you in RL (if I am reading things correctly) so what the Heck does it matter what any of us think, really?

namaste

how do you know KA was drunk? were you at his home that night? that's a cheap shot. for the record, the name upinyachit is no big deal to me. keep it if it makes you happy.

I was taking Hydee's word for it. I take it she knows him better than I do. If he was sober than it's even worse.

how do you know KA was drunk?  were you at his home that night?  that's a cheap shot.  for the record, the name upinyachit is no big deal to me.  keep it if it makes you happy. 

I was taking Hydee's word for it. I take it she knows him better than I do. If he was sober than it's even worse.

I took that as Hydee's recognition that it was all in fun and a joke. The comment was also in the Abject Silliness thread, pretty clearly interpreted by those there that it was in fun, and not accompanied by a lengthy negative history. So basically it is a totally different situation.

Anyway, back to the name discussion! I really like the upinyanated suggestion!

:lol:

ACK! OK maybe I don't like that one. :lol:

It just goes to show that if you let your imagination run wild that you will read whatever you want in a name. Why not just leave the guy alone? He loves the game, posts on-topic mostly, shares nice pictures of his family and kids growing up, etc. I would not like to see him knuckle under. That's his identity and I would like to see him keep it.

ACK! OK maybe I don't like that one.  :lol:

It just goes to show that if you let your imagination run wild that you will read whatever you want in a name. Why not just leave the guy alone? He loves the game, posts on-topic mostly, shares nice pictures of his family and kids growing up, etc. I would not like to see him knuckle under. That's his identity and I would like to see him keep it.

He is welcome to keep his identity. I suggest that he change it because of the negative history. It really is about more than the name. Regardless it is his choice to make.

how do you know KA was drunk?  were you at his home that night?  that's a cheap shot.  for the record, the name upinyachit is no big deal to me.  keep it if it makes you happy. 

I took that as Hydee's recognition that it was all in fun and a joke. The comment was also in the Abject Silliness thread, pretty clearly interpreted by those there that it was in fun, and not accompanied by a lengthy negative history. So basically it is a totally different situation.

That comment was absolutely a cheap shot and uncalled for.

When he called me that name, frankly, I deserved it. If you read the post in context you will see that he was absolutely sober when he made it. Regarding posting that in the topic header, how do you know that he wasn't spoken to about that? Those comments and the whole exchange were in Abject Silliness as has been noted. I recommend that you read all 537 pages so you can grasp what that topic is about before you make any comments about that topic and I would ask that any further comments regarding that topic be directed to the contact address or select the "Report this post" option.

Please keep the guidelines for these forums in mind when posting:

There are certain guidelines you should be aware of before you post messages to this Discussion Forum. It is important there are some basic guidelines of conduct. While most people are courteous and polite; there are some individuals that choose to behave in a disrespectful and irresponsible manner. Unlike other public discussion boards, Groundspeak will take appropriate steps to keep our discussion in line with these guidelines and with good taste.

In general we will leave it to you the community, to police yourselves. Treat others with respect. Remember that this is a public venue read by many people spanning all walks of life. If you question a post please use the ‘report this post’ icon in the lower right hand corner.

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Complaints: If you have an issue with a specific post/topic on this board, please use the ‘report a post’ link in the lower right hand corner of the post. We will review the post and edit/delete if necessary. Any comments on the personnel of Groundspeak or one of the volunteers, please send an e-mail message to contact@Groundspeak.com.

Edited by mtn-man

When he called me that name, frankly, I deserved it. If you read the post in context you will see that he was absolutely sober when he made it. Those comments were in Abject Silliness as has been noted. I recommend that you read all 537 pages so you can grasp what that topic is about before you make any comments about that topic and I would ask that any further comments regarding that topic be directed to the contact address or select the "Report this post" option.

Hold on there, big guy. If KA was sober then I apologize. Sorry KA. Hydee's using the word "again" led me to believe that it's a common occurance. I really try to stay out of "abject silliness" as it is, well, silly.

For the record, I don't care what is said in that thread, but at one point the name of the thread was changed , with the offending word, leading me to believe it was not the "Abject Silliness" thread. I don't need to have my kids reading buttmunch and then repeating it. (the kids seem to also interpret upinyachit as up in yachit to my relief.) For a family friendly forum it was not appropriate to have BUTTMUNCH appear in a thread name , IMO. For the record, the post was reported, Hydee apparently agreed, and sent an apology even though she did not post it. Kudos to Hydee for her quick response. I have no interest in reading through 537 pages of silliness, by I normally quickview the topic threads.

I don't need to have my kids reading buttmunch and then repeating it. (the kids seem to also interpret upinyachit as up in yachit to my relief.)

I appreciate your apology to Keystone. I hope he does too.

Interesting though.

Getting back on topic, you don't want your kids using the name he called me, but it is OK for your kids to use Duane's current user name though? Have you asked your kids what they think yachit means?

Just thought of another one and I don't think I saw it mentioned.

Dipchit

<_< This is really funny...you caught me totally off-guard on that one!

& coming from our own 'DOOT BUCKET' too. :P

Thanks UMC, after working all night, this made me wake-up with a laugh. :P

Duane, If you want to get a hiking stick from El Diablo, go ahead & change your name, because no one can change your personality. You will still be you...

If you take one of the names that someone suggests here, everyone will still sit up & take notice when you post on the forums.

The logs will always be yours & the finds will still be in your profile.

It all looks like a win/win situation to me! :lol:

~Shirley~

I like the Icy Pain Hut suggestion. <_<

All hail Icy Pain Hut, the god of caching! Bow down and tremble before his greatness! Avert your eyes from his wondrous gaze! Do not feed his alter ego, the queen of drama! Icy Pain Hut forever!

:lol::P :P

Upinyanated.

i vote for this one!

parenthetically, i don't demand a name change. i think it's fine the way it is. heck, somebody had to spell it out for me very clearly, so if you have to worry about your kids being exposed to it, you have bigger problems than this.

Have you asked your kids what they think yachit means?

They think it's a town.

OK, then, but what about the other parents in here. You are only supporting a change if your kids might figure out what it means. If you are going to be consistent then you need to be on the side of all of the parents or the old fogies (like me). You can't stand on both sides of the fence. If parents think that it is offensive then I would think you would support other parents. What if your kids figure it out in a few weeks. Would you want a change then?

OK, then, but what about the other parents in here.  You are only supporting a change if your kids might figure out what it means.

No, I'm not supporting a change. I made the mistake by allowing them to see it, so I blame myself. My mistake was assuming that moderators made no mistakes and weren't human like the rest of us. I've corrected my mistake by monitoring what they see a little closer.

You can't stand on both sides of the fence.  If parents think that it is offensive then I would think you would support other parents.  What if your kids figure it out in a few weeks.  Would you want a change then?

I have not tried to stand on both sides of the fence. I feel strongly that no one should censor Duane based on what they read into his name. Also, I would support other parents if they were vocal about parental concerns, if that were really the case. However, that doesn't seem to be the case here. It looks like a small handful of folks are targeting him to change his name, and perhaps a moderator or two, who would like to just see him go away.

No, I'm not supporting a change. I made the mistake by allowing them to see it, so I blame myself. My mistake was assuming that moderators made no mistakes and weren't human like the rest of us. I've corrected my mistake by monitoring what they see a little closer.

To me that is the issue. Being a family friendly site, you should not have to worry about it, whether its Duane's user name or a forum topic name.

To me this topic is a waste of time. Duane will only do what Duane wants to do.

i think duane's behavior goes against him.

here's my geocaching guide to acceptable behavior:

if i see a thing and i wonder about its acceptability, i try to imagine how i would like it if my caching friends had done it. then i try to imagine if cachers i loathe had done it. if i get different answers, personal bias is in play and all responses must be considered more thoroughly.

To me that is the issue. Being a family friendly site, you should not have to worry about it, whether its Duane's user name or a forum topic name.

To me this topic is a waste of time. Duane will only do what Duane wants to do.

Hey Mtn-man...how's that dog of yours doing?

Oh, sorry...off topic. What was the topic anyway? I seem to have forgotten. Must not have been important. <_<

here's my geocaching guide to acceptable behavior:

if i see a thing and i wonder about its acceptability, i try to imagine how i would like it if my caching friends had done it. then i try to imagine if cachers i loathe had done it. if i get different answers, personal bias is in play and all responses must be considered more thoroughly.

[hijack]

Hehehe. Every once in a while, I see things that make me realize my liberal arts education wasn't completely irrelevant to everyday life. This is actually a pretty straightforward example of John Rawls' original position. Which I think is pretty cool. <_<

[/hijack]

Oh, sorry...off topic. What was the topic anyway? I seem to have forgotten. Must not have been important. <_<

new name for duane.

duane-in-the-a?

how do you catch a polar bear with a can of peas and an auger?