Filthy No Good Dirty Rotten......

I had 4 caches stolen over the weekend. One was a multicache that had the final waypoint taken along with the cache. This leads me to believe it was done by another cacher. Given the fact that they all went missing the same day, and that nearby caches were left alone, it looks like this loser has something personal against me.

The only people I've had any kind of confrontation connected with Geocaching are anti-caching cavers and a log I made that poked fun at a recently disgruntled cacher who called the resy of us locals hillbillies.

We need to come up with a universal name (suitable for use in the forums) for a cacher that steals the caches of others. It should be descriptive of this lowlife inbred morons personality, a but at the same time it should be a name that is acceptable for use on the forums and rolls nicely off the tongue.

Cache pirate doesn't really work for me, and they typically at least let you know what happened to your cache.

Muggle is no good, because they aren't cachers.

Thief isn't quite rude enough.

Suggestions? I just can't come up with anything foul enough that fits these guidelines.

I've been using cache maggot.  Maybe it needs beefed up a bit for when a cacher does it.

By the way, you weren't the only one hit this weekend.

Actually RK, it makes me feel a little better to know I wasn't the only one that was hit (in a twisted sort of way). I guess misery loves company.

Cache maggot is on the right track. I'd suggest ****less cache maggot, but it violates the forum rule.

Edited by BadAndy

I had 7 caches disappear because they where on North Dakota Game&Fish land (DNR). They did not inform me. (Game&Fish land is not part of National WMA)

Other districts in the state allow them, but not my district.

It was very discouraging, but on the other hand I was encouraged by the fact that someone had to spend several days to remove the caches. They were in very difficult areas.

Lost some good junk/containers, and 8 TBs. As part of the FTF prize, I left an unregistered TB tag in each cache.

If it's another cacher, they sure are gonna enjoy reading about your anger. They may already have gotten their keyboard sticky from this thread.

DON'T GIVE THEM THE PLEASURE OF KNOWING.

How 'bout them Houston Texans? I'm thinkin playoffs this year. You?

Sn ;);) gans

Edited by Snoogans
I had 7 caches disappear because they where on North Dakota Game&Fish land (DNR). They did not inform me. (Game&Fish land is not part of National WMA)

It was very discouraging, but on the other hand I was encouraged by the fact that someone had to spend several days to remove the caches. They were in very difficult areas.

Lost some good junk/containers, and 8 TBs. As part of the FTF prize, I left an unregistered TB tag in each cache.

I'd go claim your property.

As for the plate number, no word on that yet.

You know it was DNR for sure?

I guess I should say 'Not for sure', All the other non G&F caches were left alone.

When I tried to find out what happened, I contacted the district manager. He said it was G&F (DNR to most people) policy to destroy any caches, and owner is NOT contacted. He said he would ask around to see if anyone from G&F removed them, but he did not get back to me. I sent a couple of emails back and forth to try to allow caches, and to try to inform cache owners when they are removed. I said I would spread the policy info around, to cachers in the area, which I did.

I should also point out that these caches are in areas that no one goes to, except during fall huntng season. And even then most do not go back as far as I put them. The area is an old unreclaimed strip mine, very difficult to hike thru. And geocaching is not a very common thing in ND, yet. Closest large town (35000) is 50 miles away. I really dont think a geocacher did it, but someone had to look up the info on geocaching.com.

Edited by SomewhereInND
We need to come up with a universal name (suitable for use in the forums) for a cacher that steals the caches of others. It should be descriptive of this lowlife inbred morons personality, a but at the same time it should be a name that is acceptable for use on the forums and rolls nicely off the tongue.

You have a good start with "lowlife inbred morons." I like Rat *******. But it is going to be tough to find a proper name that fits the guidlines. Geoscum perhaps? Nah, to cute.

You know it was DNR for sure?

I guess I should say 'Not for sure', All the other non G&F caches were left alone.

When I tried to find out what happened, I contacted the district manager. He said it was G&F (DNR to most people) policy to destroy any caches, and owner is NOT contacted. He said he would ask around to see if anyone from G&F removed them, but he did not get back to me. I sent a couple of emails back and forth to try to allow caches, and to try to inform cache owners when they are removed. I said I would spread the policy info around, to cachers in the area, which I did.

I should also point out that these caches are in areas that no one goes to, except during fall huntng season. And even then most do not go back as far as I put them. The area is an old unreclaimed strip mine, very difficult to hike thru. And geocaching is not a very common thing in ND, yet. Closest large town (35000) is 50 miles away. I really dont think a geocacher did it, but someone had to look up the info on geocaching.com.

What does destroy mean? Does it mean some employee gets to keep the ammo can they hunted down for 200 bucks of taxpayer money invested in their salary for the time it took? After that much effort I want to see shredded olive drab metal (or tupperware) in the recycling bin.

I had 7 caches disappear because they where on North Dakota Game&Fish land (DNR).  They did not inform me.  (Game&Fish land is not part of National WMA)

While caching in Chino State Park (Southern California), we ran into several state employees with cache pages and a GPS. After a brief discussion, I learned that they would remove caches, without notice, if they were in "restriced" areas, too far off a trail, or for a number of other reasons. To protect a cache that your hiding, it's best to check with the local TPTB. TPTB are using GC.com too.

Boy, I wish I had a job that paid me to cache!!

If it's another cacher, they sure are gonna enjoy reading about your anger. They may already have gotten their keyboard sticky from this thread.

DON'T GIVE THEM THE PLEASURE OF KNOWING.

How 'bout them Houston Texans? I'm thinkin playoffs this year. You?

Sn :unsure::) gans

I've said it before, I'll say it again....don't feed the maggots..... :o

Something I wonder about... is it illegal to knowingly destroy or remove a cache? I mean, it's rude... but is it criminal... could you be taken to court for doing it?

-Jif

Yes, but the burden of proof would most likey fall to you as the cache owner.

Consider your cooler at the beach. If while you were swimming someone stole it, it is theft, it is your cooler it was unattended and pretty much matches most of the things we do with a geocache. However we would still have to do most of the work to get it back and prosecute.

Also since the cache owner can be prosecuted by the RR for placing caches on RR ROW if they so choose there is a legal connection of ownership that has allready been established between a cache and it's owner.

Something I wonder about... is it illegal to knowingly destroy or remove a cache? I mean, it's rude... but is it criminal... could you be taken to court for doing it?

If so then a number of people who are helping Groundspeak out could be going to jail and Groundspeak itself could be considered an accomplice to a crime.

When a cache is archived, it is not uncommon for Groundspeak to ask for a local volunteer to remove the cache. Now I'm under the impression that this only happens after all attempts to contact the cache owner has failed but the comparision is there.

If it's unacceptable for someone other than the land manager to remove that cache then this is a perfectly good policy that needs to be rethought. I doubt Groundspeak legally has that right either unless something has changed in the submission page.

That's why there has to be a point where an item left unattended is considered "abandoned" or "trash". That's what allows us to "trash out". That's what allows Groundspeak to remove an "abandoned cache" before it becomes "geolitter".

That would be the argument most likely used by whomever removed the cache. They simply thought it was litter and were cleaning up the enviroment.

...If so then a number of people who are helping Groundspeak out could be going to jail and Groundspeak itself could be considered an accomplice to a crime...

Which is why the NPS and other land manager agencies had to implement abandoned property laws. Groundspeak will eventually build similar rules into it's listing agreement/TOS.

The NPS uses those laws as their excuse to collect and dispose of caches. Caches are not generally abandoned but nobody has challenged that yet. Nor has a precice definition of abandoned been devised at to quell the debates that will get worse over time as a GC.com listing is abandoned but the cache and owner are alive and well on another site and vice versa.

now that we have established that a cacher owner legally owns his cache, the next time I open a cache and slice my finger open on the metal container, i will sue the cache owner for medical and physical rehab damages since they are legally responsible for the cache. in addition, if i hurt myself while trying to find the cache, i will hold the cache owner legally responsible for any personal injury i sustain while trying to find their cache. i will also go after gc.com for not fully making me aware of the dangers of geocaching and while i am at it, i will sue the government or anyone else i possibly can make a legal argument for. all i need is some desparate attorney who is stupid enough to file the claim.

the legal argument goes both ways, if a cache is personal property then the cache owner is legally liable for that personal property. DOH!! did anybody think of that?? watch out cachers, you are opening your selves up to many personal injury claims for the poor caches you put out and in dangerous places.

Edited by powercacher

Scum. Pure and simple. I was the no finder on BadAndy's multi. Dean and I had just had a streak of 3 no finds, one find that had been completely uncovered/left in the open but not taken, and then this no find. We'd been through in October and forgotten our pages about his multi so had been looking forward to finding it Memorial Day weekend. SCUM.

Pocatello wasn't even worth stopping in to cache as almost every cache that we had with us listed a recent no find or no mention of finds in months. We had lunch (Me & Lou's- Great place!) and moved on to a nearby town with caches that still existed.

SCUM.

(I respect Maggots too much, not to mention that the Missoula Rugby team is the Maggots and I work with one of them so I can't use it in a bad way)

I'll pitch in for the cache placed near a store with 24 hour video survellance if the store will cooperate with cachers trying to catch the SCUM.

Karma..... hits like a load of bricks going 500 MPH when you least expect it. And while we may never hear what happens to the SCUM.... Karma makes me smile with an evil that even my avatar's heart could not fathom.

-Jennifer