GPS seems lost?

MaverickDave

hello all-

I've used my gps (magellan sportrak) around boston for the past couple of weeks without a problem. I tried using it in dallas yesterday, and it couldn't find any satellites. I re-initialized it, telling the device that I'm in texas, but it still didn't find a single satellite in the (approximately) 5 mins I had it on. Did i do something wrong? Does it just take longer? Is dallas a bad place for gps?

Thanks!

CONCUR!

Turn it on, set it on a rock somewhere safe, and sit back with a cold drink. Give it a while, it will take off.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

You will also find even when you haven't travelled a distance it may take up to 5 minutes to get a lock. My next door neighbor and myslef spent almsot 10 minutes waiting to go on a cache because it couldn't lock on enough satellite's. Be patient it willcacth up with you. And happy caching!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Cache me out dammit, I'm in a hurry!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

-Thomas Jefferson

quote:
...hopefully the dallas-area caches that i've found are walking distance from the hotel!

You'll know if they are walking distance or not once you get outside and let the GPS search for the 'nearest' caches. It will tell you the distance as the crow flies, so it may or may not be a pleasant walk icon_wink.gif

Kar

quote:
Originally posted by MaverickDave:

hello all-

I've used my gps (magellan sportrak) around boston for the past couple of weeks without a problem. I tried using it in dallas yesterday, and it couldn't find any satellites. I re-initialized it, telling the device that I'm in texas, but it still didn't find a single satellite in the (approximately) 5 mins I had it on. Did i do something wrong? Does it just take longer? Is dallas a bad place for gps?

You must have activated our Yankee Intrusion Defense System. It's still in beta test.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

It can take a lot longer to find the sats if you've travelled a long distance. Mine took almost 15 minutes when I went from NJ to CA.

_

That's because it was not trying to get a lock on the satellites. It was trying to find all the candidates for governor. icon_biggrin.gif

===========================================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".