Mounting Gps To Dash

Without using screws or nuts and bolts or heavy duty hardware what is the best way to secure a mount to the dash.

We attempted velcro but it did not hold.

We want to be able to mount it in either of our vehicles without messing around with the dash too much. The car has a relatively flat horizontal surface for mounting but in the Forerunner the mount will probably have to be vertical. Has anyone found a good way to mount without the hardware? We have a 60CS and a store bought mount from Marine West that fits it (even adjustable).

Any help would be appreciated.

Marine Biologist

Look Here for 60C specific RAM Mounts....

9301430219J.jpg

The weighted base has a flexible LEAD core and conforms to any surface. Its rubber surface is tacky and does NOT slide. We move from vehicle to vehicle very quickly with this mount. And, when you are parked, you just grab the mount off the dash, tuck it on the floor next to the seat and it's out of site. When you get back in the vehicle, you're ready to go in about two seconds.

I bought the weighted base outside of the kit shown, because I already had a ram cradle for my gps. I mounted the ball right to the base and use my coupling arm to vary both the height and angle of the gps on my dash.

Imagine this mount....

9301430135D.jpg

only replace the u-clamp with the wieghted base and that's what I have. I also mounted my cradle upside down from the picture shown, so it's not so high on the dash. Most of the time I have the GPS hanging just over the front edge of the dash.

VERY Highly recommended!!!

We tried and returned the suction mount. We like the weighted base MUCH better.

You could also go this route:

9301430135GA.gif

I have all the pieces shown w/exception to the RAM-A-Can piece. I may attach a spare 1" ball plate to a piece of wood or Aluminum tucked in a can-coozie to make my own mount like shown.

Edited by Us 5 Camp

RAM MOunts has a great suction cup for the windhsheild. Mine's been on the last couple of months. However, if I want to switch it to another car, I just have to lift the "dimple" on the cup and it pops of. Ram is spring and rubber mounted so its pretty shock resistant and the adjustments vary widely to fit your needs.

Gee, I sound like a comercial :lol:

Alan

How would that RAM suction cup work on smooth metal? I have a 4Runner and parts of the dash are metal (or plastic, I guess I don't really know). I've been using a suction mount from Radio Shack that clamps onto a regular mount for the 60CS. This Radio Shack thing has a bendable arm. It falls off the metal/plastic every two weeks or so. Also, it does not clamp very well to the Garmin 60CS mount.

I've been looking at http://www.proclipusa.com/frameset.htm, but I don't see how to attach a Garmin mount to it.

I dpon't know for sure as I haven't tried it. The last time I mounted mine mon my windshield, I put spit all around the rubber so there were no gaps and it stuck like glue. You could lay a small bead of vaseline I suppose. Or try "O"=ring grease. Thats the kind of stuff people use on underwater cameras and other underwater equipment. Check out a SCUBA store.

The RAM suction cup is 4" in diameter so its pretty big.

Try contacting RAM by email. They might have solutions already available.

Good luck

Alan

Edited by Alan2
9301430219J.jpg

The weighted base has a flexible LEAD core and conforms to any surface.  Its rubber surface is tacky and does NOT slide.    We move from vehicle to vehicle very quickly with this mount.  And, when you are parked, you just grab the mount off the dash, tuck it on the floor next to the seat and it's out of site.  When you get back in the vehicle, you're ready to go in about two seconds.

Will this mount work on a curved dashboard, and still keep the gps level? The only level part on my dashboard is the area above the passenger airbag, so that won't work. I've been assuming I'll need a window mount because of that.

I use the Garmin Friction mount and it works great. It works on curved dashes. I got it in the package auto-kit that includes CitySelect and a car adapter. When I first saw it I wasn't sure if it would hold the unit in place if the terrain got a bit rough. To my surprise this thing stays put through the roughest of manouvers on a sports compact with stiff suspension.

Edited by jonavin

I bought a cheap generic cell phone mount for my car. It installs into the air vent and makes it very easy to quickly mount the gps with power cable attached. It was about $10.00. Included with it was an adhesive patch; I tried that but it quickly fell off. The only drawback I've run into is that the air vent is effectively unmovable now. Otherwise, it is perfect, and the price was even better!