Are We Allowed To Make Paintball Caches

A really interesting idea. Unfortunately, because you have to involve scheduling, you'd considerably cut down the number of people who could try for the cache. Groundspeak's site says that if you have an idea for a novel cache, you are welcome to contact them first to see whether they'd approve it or not. Here is the contact page. As for the other geocaching sites, you might also try them and see what they say. Good luck with it.

I am not sure why not?

You have a Cache in the play area, You log the find, You call it an event cache. You want to play you go, you dont want to play you do not go.

Just make sure that the paintball part is pointed out so people like me who would not be interested do no show.

I am not sure why not?

You have a Cache in the play area, You log the find, You call it an event cache. You want to play you go, you dont want to play you do not go.

Just make sure that the paintball part is pointed out so people like me who would not be interested do no show.

I say if you have enough people interested in taking part in it, go for it! It would basically be a one time thing and I don't think I would even try and put the coords. on the board...

The way I look at it, it is one part geocaching and one part paintball...Sounds fun if you ask me...Once again, I say go ahead and try and pull it off, I mean everyone on here might not agree with it, but it's not like the geocaching police are going to raid the event and shut it down! ;);)

Somebody owns or manages most property...I would think that would be the first place to start as you would need permission from them first....after you were done it would leave quite a mess...

I wonder if it would be better to hide a cache somewhere on an existing paint ball range and then you would know what you are in for when you go hunting....you would need to be paintball prepared..... I am pretty sure it would get very few "finds"

dik

http://www.dikcabeza.com/cache

Sounds like a very interesting concept. I don't see how something like this doesn't differ from, say, the GBES Navigational Rally. The GBES crew set up several Virtual Caches along the route (some of them regular, others were timed). Seems like this would work if you integrate the GPS aspects of finding the "flag", while making the flags a virtual, or some permanent cache at the end of the Event.

I'd say run it by TPTB and see if there's some format that would be acceptable.

seems to me that there's a cache somewhere that you have to get it done without being caught and photographed my the owner. i don't think this is substantially different, except that it requires special equipment.

i think the hunting part is pure geocache, but having to defend yourself while doing it is an interesting twist.

i'd approve it, but i guess that's why i'm not an approver.

I think hunting for a cache while wearing a mask would be quite uncomfortable. Also It would be pretty tough to hunt without getting a sniper shot in the rear end.

On another note. You should try and explain this to your local paintball field. Someplace that has a decent woodsball field might find it interesting.

If I get hit in the GPS am I out?

Somebody owns or manages most property...I would think that would be the first place to start as you would need permission from them first....after you were done it would leave quite a mess...

I wonder if it would be better to hide a cache somewhere on an existing paint ball range and then you would know what you are in for when you go hunting....you would need to be paintball prepared..... I am pretty sure it would get very few "finds"

dik

http://www.dikcabeza.com/cache

this property is an abandoned golf course.

seems to me that there's a cache somewhere that you have to get it done without being caught and photographed my the owner. i don't think this is substantially different, except that it requires special equipment.

i think the hunting part is pure geocache, but having to defend yourself while doing it is an interesting twist.

Yes the caches are in the owners front yard. But with them you do not have to worry about getting your GPS shot with paint and getting an eye poked out.

Yes the caches are in the owners front yard. But with them you do not have to worry about getting your GPS shot with paint and getting an eye poked out.

because of the very impoprtant safety rules you would not have to worry about either of these things. a GPS is built to withstand many extremes and safety gear is necessary. :lol:

because of the very impoprtant safety rules you would not have to worry about either of these things. a GPS is built to withstand many extremes and safety gear is necessary. <_<

Remember not all people that cache use waterproof GPSr's....some use PDA's and such. Good event cache idea ...... bad reg cache idea.

if a cache requires special equipment, it doesn't matter whether or not the special equipment is eye protection or a harness and rope. i cache with a PDA, but i would not do a scuba cache with my PDA.

i don't do scuba caches because i don't own scuba gear. i don't do climbing caches because i don't own climbing gear. i won't do this cache because i don't own paintball gear.

i think people who do own this specialized equipment should be able to do this one.

if you acidentally try to do a scuba or climbing or paintball cache, you will not succeed. that's why you give them a 5 for terrain.

if i understand correctly, you can't even try to do the cache without making an appointment (not so different from cacnes where you have to show up during business hours), so if you show up to do this one with your PDA and no equipment, you've got what's coming to you.

i'm assuming you plan to put all the appropriate descriptions on the cache page?

if a cache requires special equipment, it doesn't matter whether or not the special equipment is eye protection or a harness and rope. i cache with a PDA, but i would not do a scuba cache with my PDA.

i don't do scuba caches because i don't own scuba gear. i don't do climbing caches because i don't own climbing gear. i won't do this cache because i don't own paintball gear.

i think people who do own this specialized equipment should be able to do this one.

if you acidentally try to do a scuba or climbing or paintball cache, you will not succeed. that's why you give them a 5 for terrain.

if i understand correctly, you can't even try to do the cache without making an appointment (not so different from cacnes where you have to show up during business hours), so if you show up to do this one with your PDA and no equipment, you've got what's coming to you.

i'm assuming you plan to put all the appropriate descriptions on the cache page?

I know that I download pocket queries on a regular basis....what happens when I see I am driving right by this one and have not info except the cords???? No appointment.....can I still find it....Overall I think its is a bad idea for a reg cache. Make it a weekly event cache if you want!!

The stated intent is to do something other than geocaching. It would not meet current event cache standards.

Since when is that the only criteria? I have seen/attended many events where the only caching activity was verbal; and most of that lies and exaggeration :):o

The primary activity was to drink beer. :):):unsure:

BOT: if you can successfully combine the two activities I think it's a neat way to hold an event. Would it be like a dodge ball set up with the cache out in the open?

The stated intent is to do something other than geocaching. It would not meet current event cache standards.

Since when is that the only criteria? I have seen/attended many events where the only caching activity was verbal; and most of that lies and exaggeration :):o

The primary activity was to drink beer. :):):unsure:

BOT: if you can successfully combine the two activities I think it's a neat way to hold an event. Would it be like a dodge ball set up with the cache out in the open?

Discussing geocaching over beer is not only valid, I highly reccomend it. After all with beer I find everyone gets more interesting and better looking. As a bonus if they all have enough beer, so do I.

I freakin love that idea and have been thinking of many ways to merge the two sports. However, I don't see you getting that passed as an event. I would set up a few traditional caches as per the GC.com guidlines and then use the forums and email to try and get people to show up for an event. You could try to post an event for a lecture on geocaching followed by a BBQ. Advertise that as the MAIN focus of the day with a side of paintball. It MIGHT fly but check with your local admin first.

You could try to post an event for a lecture on geocaching followed by a BBQ.  Advertise that as the MAIN focus of the day with a side of paintball.

I was jsut about to say that! Why not say "geocache event at Jims BBQ at 5PM. we will be playing paintball that day right around the corner, meet time for paintball is 9AM. meet time for official geocache event at Jim's BBQ is 5PM or whenever we get done busting a cap in somebody's a**."

:lol:

I was just talking about this earlier today and we were debating how to pull off an event. now I know....

Edited by Gwho
You could try to post an event for a lecture on geocaching followed by a BBQ.  Advertise that as the MAIN focus of the day with a side of paintball.

I was jsut about to say that! Why not say "geocache event at Jims BBQ at 5PM. we will be playing paintball that day right around the corner, meet time for paintball is 9AM. meet time for official geocache event at Jim's BBQ is 5PM or whenever we get done busting a cap in somebody's a**."

:lol:

I was just talking about this earlier today and we were debating how to pull off an event. now I know....

ahhh!!!! more people are stealing my ideas

Ok, I got an idea. This would have nothing to do with Geocaching.com, but could still prove to be interesting in combining paintball and caching.

This would require a big game type field (ie. large woods field). In the morning before the game starts each team hunts out locations to hide a cache. Each team hides say 4 caches on the field. They then come back and give the coords to the event organizer. The organizer then gives these coords to everyone. Now, the object of the game, instead of capture the flag (or holding a flag station, as in many big games) is for each team to find these 4 caches and return them to their "base". The first team to get all 4 back to their base wins.

I can just see this, (if done at an existing cache) Some one tring to find the cache minding there own bussines and wap, a great big welt on the fore head.

Funny thought

Sounds like a great idea to me, just do it on private proporty (with permission of course) and don't use an existing cache. This would be fun, alot better the just shooting people.

Having been involved with the sport of paintball for over 12 years, I would not even do this on private land, and I would not even call it geocaching. The two are both fun activities, but playing paintball even on private land with permission can be dangerous. In the industry it is what we call "outlaw ball". Lot of people do it, and some people are safe about it, but many are not.

I would arrange with an established paintball field to hold this event.

Well, I'll tell ya, I might be stealing your idea. I have been running it past a few people and am getting a feeling in the paintball world as to what they would like to see. I am thinking that I might hold a paintball event next summer with this idea, if so, you should come out.

Check out this link for a paintballers opinions on the idea.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152884

Well, I'll tell ya, I might be stealing your idea. I have been running it past a few people and am getting a feeling in the paintball world as to what they would like to see. I am thinking that I might hold a paintball event next summer with this idea, if so, you should come out.

Check out this link for a paintballers opinions on the idea.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152884

I think this line in your first post there says it all:

Ok, I got an idea. This would have nothing to do with Geocaching.com

That seems directly at odds with the guidelines for an event cache:

Event caches are gatherings for geocachers by geocachers to discuss geocaching.  After the event has passed, the event cache is archived.  While a music concert, a garage sale, a ham radio field day or an orienteering event might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the primary focus of these events is not geocaching and the primary attendees are not geocachers.

Well, my idea really isn't about geocaching, but about a different way to play paintball. I am very involved in the paintball industry and have many more paintball resources and friends than geocaching. So in my mind this is a paintball event, and will be advertised as so. If people who are into geocaching would like to come, but I think they might find the fact that it's not really geocaching.

If I can come up a concept that people like, I might even present it to one of the larger paintball event promoters such as MXS or Blackcat Productions.

Well, my idea really isn't about geocaching, but about a different way to play paintball. I am very involved in the paintball industry and have many more paintball resources and friends than geocaching. So in my mind this is a paintball event, and will be advertised as so. If people who are into geocaching would like to come, but I think they might find the fact that it's not really geocaching.

THat's fine, good luck with your paintball event. Just don't expect it to be listed here as a geocache event.

Since when is that the only criteria? I have seen/attended many events where the only caching activity was verbal; and most of that lies and exaggeration B):mad:

The primary activity was to drink beer. B):D:mad:

I think you are on to something here ... I for one would pay to go watch a bunch of drunken geocachers wandering through the woods, attempting to shoot at each other while seeking a cache ... which would preferably be hidden 30 feet up a skinny tree. :lol:

Well, my idea really isn't about geocaching, but about a different way to play paintball. I am very involved in the paintball industry and have many more paintball resources and friends than geocaching. So in my mind this is a paintball event, and will be advertised as so.  If people who are into geocaching would like to come, but I think they might find  the fact that it's not really geocaching.

THat's fine, good luck with your paintball event. Just don't expect it to be listed here as a geocache event.

I am not real sure how to take this, I was not talking about a Geoching event or even trying to list it as one. The idea came out of this thread is all. I'll just shutup now.

Edited by Muzikman

I am not real sure how to take this, I was not talking about a Geoching event or even trying to list it as one. The idea came out of this thread is all. I'll just shutup now.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Since this is a forum about geocaching, and it's posted in a topic about making paintball geocaches, I a**umed when you talked about making an event it was a geocaching event.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Since this is a forum about geocaching, and it's posted in a topic about making paintball geocaches, I a**umed when you talked about making an event it was a geocaching event.

you have a point so let's try to keep this topic on a geocaching paintball event or else a moderator will try to shut this down Thank You.

Since when is that the only criteria? I have seen/attended many events where the only caching activity was verbal; and most of that lies and exaggeration :mad:  B)

The primary activity was to drink beer. B)  :lol:  :D

I think you are on to something here ... I for one would pay to go watch a bunch of drunken geocachers wandering through the woods, attempting to shoot at each other while seeking a cache ... which would preferably be hidden 30 feet up a skinny tree. :mad:

LOL but please try to keep this on topic. Keep it on a paintball geocache of any type thanks.

Since when is that the only criteria? I have seen/attended many events where the only caching activity was verbal; and most of that lies and exaggeration :mad:  B)

The primary activity was to drink beer. :lol:  :mad:  :D

I think you are on to something here ... I for one would pay to go watch a bunch of drunken geocachers wandering through the woods, attempting to shoot at each other while seeking a cache ... which would preferably be hidden 30 feet up a skinny tree. B)

LOL but please try to keep this on topic. Keep it on a paintball geocache of any type thanks.

Shoobie,

As stated many times in this thread, a paintball event is not a geocashing event. It doesn't meet the guidelines. While your proposal may be of interest to some cachers, it's primary purpose is not to discuss geocaching, or be anything but a temporary cache that would not be available for all cachers. If you want to try to organize something along these lines, go to a local paintball field and propose it to the owners and use your regional forum to publicize it.

Just my thoughts.

Cache Well

The primary activity was to drink beer. :lol:  :mad:  :(

I think you are on to something here ... I for one would pay to go watch a bunch of drunken geocachers wandering through the woods, attempting to shoot at each other while seeking a cache ... which would preferably be hidden 30 feet up a skinny tree. :(

Shoobie,

As stated many times in this thread, a paintball event is not a geocashing event. It doesn't meet the guidelines. While your proposal may be of interest to some cachers, it's primary purpose is not to discuss geocaching, or be anything but a temporary cache that would not be available for all cachers. If you want to try to organize something along these lines, go to a local paintball field and propose it to the owners and use your regional forum to publicize it.

Just my thoughts.

Cache Well

I am sorry but I must disagree with you the cache would be only for paintballing cachers just as scuba caches are just for scuba cachers. The primary event would be to find a geocache but you have to avoid being hit by a paintball at the same time. Thank you B):D

Hey Shoobie,

Before getting too involved, you looked at the cache listing guidelines yet?

There is a whole section just on event caches. It pretty much spells out what you can and can not do. Here is part that might apply:

While a music concert, a garage sale, a ham radio field day or an orienteering event might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the primary focus of these events is not geocaching and the primary attendees are not geocachers.  In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches.

You also might run into problems with the section on Commercial caches because of the location:

These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

If you aren't even planning it for this year, I certainly wouldn't put too much work or thought into it right now, but before the time comes, you might want to run your ideas past your local cache reviewer first.

Hey Shoobie,

There is a whole section just on event caches. It pretty much spells out what you can and can not do. Here is part that might apply:

While a music concert, a garage sale, a ham radio field day or an orienteering event might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the primary focus of these events is not geocaching and the primary attendees are not geocachers.  In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches.

You also might run into problems with the section on Commercial caches because of the location:

These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

If you aren't even planning it for this year, I certainly wouldn't put too much work or thought into it right now, but before the time comes, you might want to run your ideas past your local cache reviewer first.

I think we are thinking of it in different perspectives I think this it is trying to find a cache but at the same time trying to avoid being hit by a paintball.Thanks fro anwering

Hey Shoobie,

The cache would not be a commercial cache because it would be played on a field where there would be no expense.

I can just see this, (if done at an existing cache) Some one tring to find the cache minding there own bussines and wap, a great big welt on the fore head.

Funny thought

Sounds like a great idea to me, just do it on private proporty (with permission of course) and don't use an existing cache. This would be fun, alot better the just shooting people.

Lol you know I was thinking that too. :rolleyes::rolleyes::huh: