How do you phonetically say these?

Firehouse16

Phonetically? Depends ... either:

"West thirty-three degrees, thirty-three point five eight three minutes longitude" in casual conversation ought to suffice for the first one.

The second one isn't really valid -- it ought to have a decimal point somewhere, as in W33.85943°, which would be "West thirty three point eight five nine® four three degrees longitude".

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

In some formats, Lat/Lon is described as 33 degrees, 56' (minutes), 24" (seconds) which 1): is cumbersome because there is no "degree" symbol on keyboards, and 2): seconds just aren't accurate enough for GPS guided smart bombs and geocaching.

So clever Engineers made use of 3 or 4 other ways of describing Lat/Lon such as UTM, NAD27, WGS84 and WD-40. So, WGS84 is formated 33 degrees 56.240 which is to say thirty three degrees, fifty six point two four zero minutes or 56 and two hundred fourty thousandths minutes. Whatever format Mapquest uses just eliminates the minutes and carries the degree out to 4 decimal places or ten-thousandths of degrees. Simple, yes

quote:
Originally posted by Aksor+Raskol:

In some formats, Lat/Lon is described as 33 degrees, 56' (minutes), 24" (seconds) which 1): is cumbersome because there is no "degree" symbol on keyboards, and 2): seconds just aren't accurate enough for GPS guided smart bombs and geocaching.

So clever Engineers made use of 3 or 4 other ways of describing Lat/Lon such as UTM, NAD27, WGS84 and WD-40. So, WGS84 is formated 33 degrees 56.240 which is to say thirty three degrees, fifty six point two four zero minutes or 56 and two hundred fourty thousandths minutes. Whatever format Mapquest uses just eliminates the minutes and carries the degree out to 4 decimal places or ten-thousandths of degrees. Simple, yes

Umm...sorry, but WGS84 does not require any specific format for the coordinates. It is a datum, not a format.

(I'm hoping the WD-40 humor was intended for all of the post)

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. - Homer Simpson

ChiTown Cachers * Keenpeople.com Stats

Thirty three degrees, thirty three point five eight three minutes North latitude. (around here in calif, when you see 33, it is latitude, not W longitude)

Please use point or decimal not dot.

The second should be thirty three point eight five nine four three degrees north latitude. (leave out the degree symbol and use a decimial point: 33.85943)

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

People over 40 say point or decimal. Those under 30 say dot. Those in between are stil trying to fiugure out whether they're hippies, yuppies or part of the X generation!

It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of usage. If it's indicating a decimal fraction, it's "point". If it's being used as a delimiter, such as in an IP address, it's "dot".

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:

People over 40 say point or decimal. Those under 30 say dot. Those in between are stil trying to fiugure out whether they're hippies, yuppies or part of the X generation!

It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of usage. If it's indicating a decimal fraction, it's "point". If it's being used as a delimiter, such as in an IP address, it's "dot".

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2800.gif

_"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."_

No, it not either point or dot, I have the perfect & ending answer to the debate...all women know that it is a 'PERIOD'. icon_rolleyes.gif

~Shirley~ of 2oldfarts

It's hard to remember that your primary objective is to drain the swamp, when you're up to your a$$ in alligators.

When I talk coords it's abbreviated since we know exactly what datum we are using and that we are using decimal minutes with three decimals.

North, thirty three, thirty three, five eighty three.

Sometimes we skip the North because the order the coordinates are given in, is always the same. This short cut works well in caching. If a stranger was giving me coordinates I'd ask them every detail that gets cut out because I don't know what they could be using and need to verify.

The correct Phonetic for . is always DECIMAL dot and point are not clear enough for phonetic. the idea being that should there be radio interference or distortion, the phonetics should be unmistakable even if only half the word comes through.

Also, the W should be Whisky, not West for the same Reason, ie " confirm co-ordinates, Whiskey 152" etc.

Just a Trivia note, the Civilian Phonetic for Z is Zebra, The Military is Zulu. Also, for some unknown reason the US police have their very own Phoenetic alphabet (Adam, Baker etc) when everyone else uses the international (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc.)

"This Is GC.com If you don't like it, speak up, others may thank you for it."

quote:

quote:

Please use point or decimal not dot.

Alan

I really hope that Airline pilots have managed to co-ordinate (groan) their generation with the air trafic controllers

quote:
Originally posted by DaJagman:

The correct Phonetic for . is always DECIMAL dot and point are not clear enough for phonetic. the idea being that should there be radio interference or distortion, the phonetics should be unmistakable even if only half the word comes through.

Also, the W should be Whisky, not West for the same Reason, ie " confirm co-ordinates, Whiskey 152" etc.

Just a Trivia note, the Civilian Phonetic for Z is Zebra, The Military is Zulu. Also, for some unknown reason the US police have their very own Phoenetic alphabet (Adam, Baker etc) when everyone else uses the international (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc.)

As I recall my days in the USAF, we used Alpha, Bravo Coco for ABC while the Army used Able Baker Charlie so even in the military there were differences.

Does anyone have a current knowledge of what they use for letters??

Alan

I agree that the best way to speak numbers/coordiates is to speak each number indivdually and use "decimal". And for letters, please use the International Telecommunications Union Phonetics. (Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta Echo.....)

This way you will be understood clearly in the most consise way, and with people from other countries, speaking other languages.

quote:

As I recall my days in the USAF, we used Alpha, Bravo Coco for ABC while the Army used Able Baker Charlie so even in the military there were differences.

Does anyone have a current knowledge of what they use for letters??

Alan

The ITU standard is also the NATO standard (with the substitution of Zulu) and is used by All NATO forces, along with all Airtrafic Controllers, Coastguards, NASA etc. Whilst the US military may have their own systems (like the emergency services), these are not used on NATO ops, or anytime they get in the sky or water.

Just as when using distance with international context, metres and kilometres are used.

Here is the NATO phonetic alphabet.

A - Alpha

B - Bravo

C - Charlie

D - Delta

E - Echo

F - Foxtrot

G - Golf

H - Hotel

I - India

J - Juliet

K - Kilo

L - Lima

M - Mike

N - November

O - Oscar

P - Papa

Q - Quebec

R - Romeo

S - Sierra

T - Tango

U - Uniform

V - Victor

W - Whiskey

X - X-ray

Y - Yankee

Z - Zulu

0 - Zero

1 - Wun (One)

2 - Two

3 - Tree (Three)

4 - Fower (Four)

5 - Five

6 - Six

7 - Seven

8 - Ait (Eight)

9 - Niner (Nine)

. - decimal (point)

. - (full) stop

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

uh, to appropriately describe it PHONETICALLY you would need to address the concept of diction and pronunciation, for which you would need something along the lines of the international phonetic alphabet, which exists for the sole purpose of allowing singers, diction coaches and speech therapists to notate pronunciation at-a-glance. i can't speak for other systems, but the IPA contains a character set not available to me on any computer keyboard i have seen.

i'm guessing that you just want to translate it into the spoken word.

and oh, did i just give away MY background? i am so out of place among all you engineers.

quod est, est.