More Drama By Duane (upinyachit)

OH THE CHILDREN!!!SAVE THEM FROM THE POO!!!!

please, who enjoys poop references more than kids.  quite honestly, i'm way more offended by the born again christian leaflets i found in a cache this weekend.  kids know whats funny about poop, i'd rather deal with that than explain the rightwing religous propaganda.

any we all know that some people love controversy and arguing about it in multi-page threads only feeds their needs.

This isn't about a reference to "poo".

If the travelbug was called "A piece of poo", it would be ok. It's not. It's called "A piece of s***" (self-moderated)

Duane's handle uses the same offensive word, with a single letter changed the same way Spammers send you emails for v1agra. Changing one letter allows it to bypass the filters. Does that one letter make it non-offensive? No.

This thread is about Duane using the offensive word and being moderated, but the travel-bug owner was allowed to use the same word several times on the same page. The travel-bug wasn't moderated until this oversight was pointed out in this thread.

NORM says to change your handle, Duane

edit: changed "double-standard" to "oversight"

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
This thread is about Duane using the offensive word and being moderated, but the travel-bug owner was allowed to use the same word several times on the same page. The travel-bug wasn't moderated until this double-standard was pointed out in this thread.

That is not exactly true.

If a user intentionally uses a word that he/she knows is unacceptable then he is choosing to run the risk of edits, deletes, and further concequences.

If a user is has not been offensive in the past, as this TB owner had not, then in most cases I will send a note requesting they edit their information. There are times that this may not happen but that is the way things are suppose to work.

This thread is about Duane using the offensive word and being moderated, but the travel-bug owner was allowed to use the same word several times on the same page. The travel-bug wasn't moderated until this double-standard was pointed out in this thread.

That is not exactly true.

If a user intentionally uses a word that he/she knows is unacceptable then he is choosing to run the risk of edits, deletes, and further concequences.

If a user is has not been offensive in the past, as this TB owner had not, then in most cases I will send a note requesting they edit their information. There are times that this may not happen but that is the way things are suppose to work.

The point I was trying to make was that Duane thought "c***" was acceptable considering "s***" was used on the TB's page.

Its easier to change a username than it is a double standard.

;)

There is no double standard. Travel Bugs are not approved (as has been pointed out several times in this topic). Unless someone reports it or makes a forum topic about it then it most likely will go on with that name until it is reported. If it were left as is after being reported then there may be a double standard, but the site emailed the user as soon as it was pointed out.

This all may be a previously unknown flaw in the system, but it is hardly a double standard.

Its easier to change a username than it is a double standard.

;)

There is no double standard. Travel Bugs are not approved (as has been pointed out several times in this topic). Unless someone reports it or makes a forum topic about it then it most likely will go on with that name until it is reported. If it were left as is after being reported then there may be a double standard, but the site emailed the user as soon as it was pointed out.

This all may be a previously unknown flaw in the system, but it is hardly a double standard.

Very well, I stand corrected and have changed my post above

Hi Duane! I am going to stay out of the whole editing argument. I just want to add my vote for you to change your name. It just causes too much angst. You know I hate angst! All that angst cannot be good for you either! Change your name, calm down, and be a happy cacher! ;)

Hey Duane,

I could care less about your user name, but Carleen is speaking sense.

Recently, a Texas geocacher changed his user name from puck-off (Hockey fan; get it?) to TxBigfoot. Too many people with control issues and delicate sensibilities felt that his name was an insult. (Shows what they know...)

Now, Dan wouldn't enjoy a minute of angst over his user name so he just changed it. I thought that it sucked for him to feel he HAD to do it, but I fully understand his reasoning and I respected him for it.

To make a long story short: When someone else shows there a**. You don't need to point it out. It's there for everyone to see. No one likes a PC fudgehole, except other PC fudgeholes. Rise above it and move on.

Sn ;);) gans

oh for crying out loud. 3 pages so far on the editing of a grammatically correct sentence with a clear double meaning? over one word? Are you people feeling ok ;) ? Duane, do you have other hobbies too? I do, lots of them....sometimes you might need a break from one to appreciate it more, ya know? ;)

no, really. I mean no offense (really) but come on already. get over it.

Edited by norbu

OH MY GOD

I thought his name was up - n - at - it.

I only just caught on... you-pea-n-ya-chit

I am SUCH a chit-head.

Now I understand.... would I want my 7 year old nephew reading all this?

Nope.

Is is a family site?

Yup.

Should he change his name.... nope... but I hope he does.

some people make a cache look like poop, so what is wrong with a cache that looks like poop. As for everything else being discussed in here, i plead the 5th

Here's an example:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...30-a177fe78a643

No, this doesn't offend me, it's one sure fire way to avoid a muggle. And if a muggle ever found you holding poop in the woods, I am sure they would run and not bother you while you sign the book. ;)

OH THE CHILDREN!!!SAVE THEM FROM THE POO!!!!

please, who enjoys poop references more than kids. quite honestly, i'm way more offended by the born again christian leaflets i found in a cache this weekend. kids know whats funny about poop, i'd rather deal with that than explain the rightwing religous propaganda.

any we all know that some people love controversy and arguing about it in multi-page threads only feeds their needs.

HelenLovejoy.jpg

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN??????

;)

On topic: I don't have a thing. Sorry!

Oh yes I do!

I have a question. Was Duane notified that his log had been edited? Or was he asked to change it and would not, so the mods did it for him?

Just wondering.

Thank goodness everyone (including TPTB) ignores me! I don't want to be the drama queen!

Duane, I'll give you a Free hiking staff if you change your name and stay out of trouble for 90 days! ;) You have 24 hours to think it over...then the offer is withdrawn. ;)

We'll even have a contest if you want to see who comes up with the best name. You choose the winner and they also get a staff. Also you will have the only name ever given to a cacher by the caching community!

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo
oh for crying out loud. 3 pages so far on the editing of a grammatically correct sentence with a clear double meaning? over one word? Are you people feeling ok ;) ? Duane, do you have other hobbies too? I do, lots of them....sometimes you might need a break from one to appreciate it more, ya know? ;)

Just to make things clear, Duane's only post so far is the first one. He's not the one keeping this thread running (we are) and his question was very sensible because it did appear to be a double standard (with a bit of paranoia on my part as well).

It was something that needed clearing up and understanding before it festered and I'd rather talk about it honestly for a half dozen pages than have a bunch of hurtful suspicions running around in my head.

Understanding why Duane's log was edited so quickly, why the TB wasn't edited until now, and understanding how Duane changing his handle in the name of just smoothing everything out makes more sense to me than arguing about the word "muggle".

yeah, whatever. People really need to get a handle on their "feelings"

I use a different username now, because I was harrassed for being a ranger's wife, a name I joined with in 2001 and then became inactive for awhile, because it just wasn't worth being attacked by people who didn't even know me. Then someone who has no clue has the nerve to call me a sock puppet! ;) yeah, whatever. I sacrificed my old name (it is there, I just don't use it now) the 12 finds under it (which I could care less about, but I won't relog with my new name, most likely) and a little dignity to come back and try again. And ya know what? I still get harrassed for being the wife of a ranger, and having strong opinions.

I have had logs deleted over it even. So What? are my feelings hurt? NO!

hurtful suspicions? those come from inside ones self, nowhere else.

My point still stands, get over it. The rules are the rules, they will be adhered to and enforced when possible.

why don't you stop feeding Duane's ego with this

oh for crying out loud.  3 pages so far on the editing of a grammatically correct sentence with a clear double meaning?  over one word?  Are you people feeling ok ;) ? Duane, do you have other hobbies too? I do, lots of them....sometimes you might need a break from one to appreciate it more, ya know?  ;)

Just to make things clear, Duane's only post so far is the first one. He's not the one keeping this thread running (we are) and his question was very sensible because it did appear to be a double standard (with a bit of paranoia on my part as well).

It was something that needed clearing up and understanding before it festered and I'd rather talk about it honestly for a half dozen pages than have a bunch of hurtful suspicions running around in my head.

Understanding why Duane's log was edited so quickly, why the TB wasn't edited until now, and understanding how Duane changing his handle in the name of just smoothing everything out makes more sense to me than arguing about the word "muggle".

It still needs clearing up. Now there is a mass vote for a name change. I know of a few names that include slang for the act of ejaculating, blatant use of trademarked words, and others I have seen from time to time. Only the degree of questionability changes.

I don't know that this mass vote is setting a precident here but at what point should we lobby for that name change and at what point is a name ok?

If Duane HAD to change his username, that would've been taken care of a long time ago. Several people have ASKED him to change it.

In contrast, once the name of this travel bug was reported, a "request" to change it was sent almost immediately, and was promptly complied with.

When I get home to check my e-mail, I'm looking forward to reading the next flurry of "Report this Post" e-mails for the latest Team 360 avatar. But the moderators haven't ASKED you to change it. ;)

Duane, I'll give you a Free hiking staff if you change your name and stay out of trouble for 90 days! :D  You have 24 hours to think it over...then the offer is withdrawn. ;)

We'll even have a contest if you want to see who comes up with the best name. You choose the winner and they also get a staff. Also you will have the only name ever given to a cacher by the caching community!

El Diablo

I like that IDEA!

Hey Duane,

How about changing your name to:

Pueblo Picasso

Seeing as you live in Pueblo and all....... C'mon. I always wanted to win an El Diablo Hiking Stick.......

Sn ;):D gans

BTW - You could call your self P.P. then. ;););););)

Edited by Snoogans
If Duane HAD to change his username, that would've been taken care of a long time ago. Several people have ASKED him to change it.

In contrast, once the name of this travel bug was reported, a "request" to change it was sent almost immediately, and was promptly complied with.

When I get home to check my e-mail, I'm looking forward to reading the next flurry of "Report this Post" e-mails for the latest Team 360 avatar. But the moderators haven't ASKED you to change it. ;)

We have to send a email...can't we just say here that his avatar isn't family friendly?

El Diablo

I don't think that Duane should HAVE to change his username unless HE wants to.

I would think that a mandatory change of name for the TB in question would be more appropriate.

Bingo!

If people have a problem with Duane's name, it's their problem, not his. He shouldn't have to change his name just because a few people don't like it. In fact, IMHO it's extremely disrespectful to even suggest it be changed.

I find it interesting that attacks on Duane are condoned by TPTB when the same attacks on a moderator, approver or more popular user would result in a hike in the old warning meter. ;)

I'm willing to bet it's the same half dozen, or less, Fudgeholes with delicate sensibilities and control issues EVERY time too.

Pssst,,, K.A. Let me know how many complain about THIS post. ;)

Duane, I'll give you a Free hiking staff if you change your name and stay out of trouble for 90 days!  You have 24 hours to think it over...then the offer is withdrawn. 

I'll change my username to whatever you would like it to be for a free hiking staff ;)

I did not want to, BUT, guess I have to put something in. First Duane's "handle"... DON"T CHANGE IT !!! when I first saw it, I read the "ch" as in CHeck, not caCHe, after all it is the beginning of the syllable. ;)

Just for your clarification

UPINYACHIT

UP

IN

YA (your)

CHIT ( )

Has nothing to do with caching or checking.

;)

For YOUR clarification, the sound of "ch" in CHeck, not the sound of "ch" in caCHe,

but if you wanted to think about it, it has a lot to do with checking and caching, as for caching it is a play on the visable "ch" in caCHe, as for checking, it is what you need to do before getting into his, or ours or whomevers ;)

When I get home to check my e-mail, I'm looking forward to reading the next flurry of "Report this Post" e-mails for the latest Team 360 avatar.  But the moderators haven't ASKED you to change it.  ;)

I'm willing to bet it's the same half dozen, or less, Fudgeholes with delicate sensibilities and control issues EVERY time too.

Well I guess I'm one of the "Fudgeholes" your talking about. Just a quick question...if having high morality and decency puts me in that group. What group does that put you in? Just curious...no offense intended. ;)

El Diablo

When I get home to check my e-mail, I'm looking forward to reading the next flurry of "Report this Post" e-mails for the latest Team 360 avatar.  But the moderators haven't ASKED you to change it.  ;)

Well I guess I'm one of the "Fudgeholes" your talking about. Just a quick question...if having high morality and decency puts me in that group. What group does that put you in? Just curious...no offense intended. ;)

El Diablo

Everyone chill....this is not about my avatar...besides, I will change it soon enough...I just can't seem to find the right one...

Having a sexy girl in my avatar does not make me of low moral and indecent character...but it sure spices things up around here, dontcha think?

I'm new here, so no way am I going to state any opinions. ;)

But I do have to say that this discussion has been very enlightening for a newbie. I now have a better idea of what's acceptable (and, more importantly, what isn't!) on this forum. I'll be more careful to watch my Ps and Qs from now on!

I find it interesting that attacks on Duane are condoned by TPTB when the same attacks on a moderator, approver or more popular user would result in a hike in the old warning meter. ;)

Not at all true in my experience. In fact the only warning I ever got was for flamming Duane. I will admit that I went overboard and the warning was warranted. My experience is that the mods are very fair in all instances. There is no black and white, however. It is impossible and unrealistic to expect consistent application of all rules 100% of the time. Not only are the mods individuals and human, but each of them has to take matters one at a time.

BTW, IF Duane chooses to change his name I suggest "Muddy Fudger III.

I have a question. Was Duane notified that his log had been edited? Or was he asked to change it and would not, so the mods did it for him?

NO!! I WAS NOT NOTIFIED FIRST CO Admin took it upon himself to edit my log on my own cache page. Does this upset me? Of course it does because I know I am being discriminated against. Anyway, I have an idea. Everyone in the forums knows I love to geocache. I know a lot about the sport and could be a positive influence if I was given the chance. I vote that TPTB give me 1/3 of Colorado to moderate. Here me out on this one. Instead of UPINYACHIT always having a conflict with GC or CO ADMIN. I could use my energy to moderate or approve caches from Pueblo to New Mexico. I could check on all the hidden caches and be a big asset to GEOCACHING.COM I would be the best approver/moderator ever. LOL Only because I have the knowledge and I could check on all pending caches waiting for approval. This could be the best thing ever that could happen to me (Duane). You guys could make me feel like a productive member towards the geocaching society. I would love my Volunteering Job. What do you guys think? Do I deserve a chance?

Duane ;)

I vote that TPTB give me 1/3 of Colorado to moderate. Here me out on this one. Instead of UPINYACHIT always having a conflict with GC or CO ADMIN. I could use my energy to moderate or approve caches from Pueblo to New Mexico. I could check on all the hidden caches and be a big asset to GEOCACHING.COM I would be the best approver/moderator ever. LOL Only because I have the knowledge and I could check on all pending caches waiting for approval. This could be the best thing ever that could happen to me (Duane). You guys could make me feel like a productive member towards the geocaching society. I would love my Volunteering Job. What do you guys think? Do I deserve a chance?

Duane ;)

You have clearly shown me personally that you will go back on your word. You have done this to me directly. I personally would never trust you to approve caches.

I think this is the single worst idea I have ever heard of in over three years on this site.

You have clearly shown me personally that you will go back on your word. You have done this to me directly. I personally would never trust you to approve caches.

What are you talking about? Please explain mtnman...........

D ;)

;)

El Diablo

With all due respect El D 'ol buddy, high morality and decency are great, but quite subjective. What's fine for me could be shock and awe for another and what's shocking for me could be fine for another and so on. At least I know the difference and I DO know where to draw the line of good taste. Welllll almost anyway.

The real problem I have is with people's control issues. So called "squeaky wheels."

I baby-sit adults alllll day long. High dollar (IE 6+ figure income) adults with all kinds of needs and issues. The ones that squeak are always the same. They NEED to exert control to make up for something they are missing elsewhere. They get nicknames to suit their needs and when you see one coming, you always know what you're in for.

I get all the actualization I need in life without complaining to get more. Like I said earlier: When someone is showing their A**, it's there for all to see. I don't feel the need to point it out in effort to MAKE someone else respond, so I can get a little control buzz on.

Knowing human nature, I guessed that there is control group here as well. (How many mods just nodded their heads?)

I certainly didn't single you out and no disrespect is intended. In fact, I think your contributions here are quite astounding, so, sorry if you took offense.

Mark aka Sn ;);) gans

NO!! I WAS NOT NOTIFIED FIRST CO Admin took it upon himself to edit my log on my own cache page. Does this upset me? Of course it does because I know I am being discriminated against. Anyway, I have an idea. Everyone in the forums knows I love to geocache. I know a lot about the sport and could be a positive influence if I was given the chance. I vote that TPTB give me 1/3 of Colorado to moderate. Here me out on this one. Instead of UPINYACHIT always having a conflict with GC or CO ADMIN. I could use my energy to moderate or approve caches from Pueblo to New Mexico. I could check on all the hidden caches and be a big asset to GEOCACHING.COM I would be the best approver/moderator ever. LOL Only because I have the knowledge and I could check on all pending caches waiting for approval. This could be the best thing ever that could happen to me (Duane). You guys could make me feel like a productive member towards the geocaching society. I would love my Volunteering Job. What do you guys think? Do I deserve a chance?

Duane ;)

Just out of curiousity... What would your approver/sock puppet name be?