More Drama By Duane (upinyachit)

Well, let's see, I don't even know where to begin. All I know is that I paid my membership fee and bought four travel bugs from this site after two years. During the two year period, I hid quite a few caches that cost me hundreds of dollars. So my credibility should be right up there with the big dogs.

Anyway, I attented Sax man's campout this weekend and had a blast. During the three days my family was up in Raton, Bons handed off a Travel Bug to me called "PIECE OF @#$!". I thought that made a great joke considering my username and everyone laughed. When I got back to Pueblo, my wife and I decided to place it in The Do Drop By cache. I made a log entry and said, Decided to drop this ____ off at my favorite place.

Have fun

Upinyachit

The next thing I know, my log entry was edited by CO ADMIN. I understand this is a family site but geez, first of all I didn't even use the real word, I used chit. After all, it is part of my user name. My point is that he or any other mod could have PM and I would have edited myself. Maybe geocaching needs CO ADMIN, but I personally feel I am a game to him. When is the madness going to end? I thought everything was going to be fine since I paid my dues and some members were able to see how cool upinyachit really is. I also wonder why he said this when he closed my last topic?

"Closing this before it goes out of control and someone gets hurt. It really has nothing to do with Geocaching anyway."

CO Admin is right, my geocaching feelers are hurt. From the first caches in NY that you guys won't unarchive to the puzzle cache that is keeping me from listing The Runyon Cache. All I am saying is that I thought bygones were bygones, but it appears Co Admin just won't lay off.

Well, off to work. Hopefully this will be a civil discussion without any hasties out there. Maybe someone out there has the true answer.

Duane

Upinyachit

Maybe geocaching needs CO ADMIN, but I personally feel I am a game to him.

Nah, I think it's more like a hobby. ;)

In either case, there is more "high school" in some of us than we care to admit. ;)

I didn't care for high school for this very reason.

It is well known that you like to try to push the limits and that you have a 'prior record' of wishing to push things to the limit.

Why even push it. You are already aware by other threads that your name has been discussed.

It doesn't seem to be enough that geocaching let you keep it, you don't seem happy until you try to push the limits instead of just moving along and playing nicely.

The way I see it, you have three options.

1. Take your ball and go home.

2. Deal with the flak you get from CO or other members of TPTB.

3. Deal with the flak you get from CO or other members of TPTB *AND* make a stink about it in the forums.

It seems that your preference is for #3. The problem with that approach is that it sustains the reputation that you've built for yourself with TPTB. It's easy to gain a bad reputation; It's much harder to get rid of it (ask Hyundai).

If you want to be left alone and not have a magnifying glass put on you for every little thing, it's going to take some time and effort on your part. You'll have to stop doing things which might be considered questionable by others, regardless of your personal opinions. You'll have to stop starting forum threads whenever CO or anyone else gives you a smack, regardless of whether or not it's deserved. You have to show them that you can play by their rules you have to do it long enough for them to believe it.

Duane, I understand your point: Since my name is allowed to be posted (with "chit" in it), why can't I post "chit" in a log?

I think this is a fair question to ask as it indicates a double standard involving moderation. However, your username appears to be grandfathered in, but that word is not. You've used that name for 2+ years (and gained quite a reputation with it as well), but the mods don't want you to spread that one part of it around more often than necessary.

I assume that you sign your username in the physical logs, and probably even wrote "chit" when you dropped of the bug in question. The moderators can't edit those logs, but it's still not really appropriate to use that word there either.

Some of us at the campout had a hard time trying to pronounce your username. I felt uncomfortable saying it around my kids. You suggested that everyone call you "Duane". Why not take the noble way out of this mess and change your username to something less offensive?

Main Entry: 2chit

Function: noun

Etymology: Hindi citthI

1 : a short letter or note; especially : a signed voucher of a small debt (as for food)

2 : a small slip of paper with writing on it

The word “chit” is a valid word, and is used today in the restaurant industry, when referring to the piece of paper the POS (point of sale) computer spits out every time an order is placed.

Now, I also think it is safe to assume this user did not intend for it to refer to a small note. But at the same time, I have seen admins posting replies to cachers questions on these boards about editing a found log on their cache, the admin that replied stated that the owner could only delete the log entry, but an admin could edit it. The admin went on to say that this is never done without trying to contact the cacher first. So I must agree that a request should have been sent to the “poster” before it was just changed.

Now I am going to call my therapist, grab my blanky, and curl up in a ball under the stairs because I actually agreed with something upinya… posted

edited for spelling

Edited by Cherokeecacher

Obviously I don't know the entire content of what Upinyachit used the word in, but chit is a valid word for usage without connotation.

In the military (at least when I was in it), it is frequently used to describe a small tag for identification. The chit was used to identify who had tools signed out to them from a team tool box.

Decided to drop this ____ off at my favorite place.

Using chit to identify a TB would be valid under this usage.

I'm not one to voice against the admins because of the huge responsibility they take on to try to do the right thing by everyone, but it would be my advisement to take another look at this.

Obviously I don't know the entire content of what Upinyachit used the word in, but chit is a valid word for usage without connotation.

In the military (at least when I was in it), it is frequently used to describe a small tag for identification. The chit was used to identify who had tools signed out to them from a team tool box.

Decided to drop this ____ off at my favorite place.

Using chit to identify a TB would be valid under this usage.

I'm not one to voice against the admins because of the huge responsibility they take on to try to do the right thing by everyone, but it would be my advisement to take another look at this.

The travel bug in question is titled "Piece of (excrement)". If you had seen it, you would realize the context Duane was using the word in.

According to dictionary.com, a chit is anything but excrement.

• A child.
  • A saucy girl or young woman.
  • A statement of an amount owed for food and drink; a check.
  • A short letter; a note.
  • A Brownie point: earned vital chits with his party by making fundraising speeches.

None of these definitions fit the word in the context Duane uses it in. Try changing is name to include the definitions:

Up in your child or Up in your young woman sound like perverse sex acts.

Up in your check, Up in your note, and Up in your Brownie point don't make sense

Well how is it the name of the TB was allowed to be named that and yet Upinyacht gets his post deleted? I find it odd that folks would attack the post but not the name of the TB.

Even if Upinyachit's usage was intended to be a pun on the word, if it was grammatically correct and technically clean, then the err should have been on the side of the poster. Particularly in the face of the name of the TB to begin with.

From my perspective, I would have to question the motive of allowing the TB to be named that then delete the post that may or may not have been in line with it.

Where does the line get drawn and how evenly will it be applied?

In essence, someone was setup to failure by hypocracy.

Edited by TotemLake

I won't want to go into the issue of Duane's user name, but I DO agree with the posters earlier that his name is a lot less offensive than the TB name:

"Piece of ****"

If we're going to promote this site as "family friendly" and that's the basis for cleaning up certain posts and names, then I have a big problem with this TB name. If my kids happened upon Duane's name, they'd never put it together, but anyone seeing this TB is going to see the word.

As Cherokeecacher put it, I can't BELIEVE I'm agreeing with Duane, but this seems like a pretty bad double standard of which words are allowed and which aren't.

Hi Duane...

I have followed the various threads that have revolved around you and your caches and your name throughout the last months/years. I have followed your logic in each case. Sometimes I have agreed with you and on other occasions, not. However, I have seen your train of thought in each case. I can't really put you down for following your feelings and your beliefs.

As I see it now, you have really started to heal the splits and the rifts that had formed between you and various other cachers. Many have made real and genuine efforts to meet you half way in this. It seems to me that GPSax has made a great suggestion to you in that you now make the effort and come the rest of the way by changing your user name to something that does not offend others. How about it Duane - it's not a hard thing to do and it would make a huge difference to how things progress for you in the world of caching.

Being a rebel for the sake of it is completely destructive. I know that you don't see it as being 'just for the sake of it', you see it as a point that you have to make. Well Duane, step back for a moment, look again. I think you have made your point and frequently made it well. If you can quit now then I would say that you are quiting while you are ahead. Don't let this thread descend into another bitterness session. You have made your point, now how about a name change to go with your new attitude. Just to prove to all that you can really be the good guy that you say you can. Come on man, join the mainstream. The majority of good folks will welcome you. And the ones who don't - ignore them.

Frankly, I would be offended running into this TB and consider it an extremely bad idea to allow it to continue. I find that Upinyachit showed good restraint in his post in consideration to this TB. How did this get past the approval process without objection????

Frankly, I would be offended running into this TB and consider it an extremely bad idea to allow it to continue. I find that Upinyachit showed good restraint in his post in consideration to this TB. How did this get past the approval process without objection????

According to Keystone, there is no approval process in regards to travelbugs. 2 weeks ago there was quite the debate over a Nazi Soldier travelbug. Not everyone was offended by it, but enough were to make a stink (pun intended).

There is no "approval process" for TBs.

Personally, I don't find it offensive. I find it hard to believe that it would be offensive to children--as long as they are not being equated to said material--as they will come up with similar terms even in a vacuum.

In short, it's just a word.

What I find offensive is the "extra attention" some people get.

Suggestions for how to "log" this TB in the future:

-P.O.S. TB

-crappy TB

-dumped it in a new cache

-dropped the kid off in the pool

-met "the dook(duke)" while caching today

-made some room...in my cache bag

I'll stop while I'm "behind".

According to Keystone, there is no approval process in regards to travelbugs. 2 weeks ago there was quite the debate over a Nazi Soldier travelbug. Not everyone was offended by it, but enough were to make a stink (pun intended).

That is exactly right. It needs to be reported to get attention. I have only heard about that one today. I immediately sent a message requesting that the page be modified and the offensive material be removed. More people should do this if they find that page offensive.

There was also a monkey that had a bit of an excessive appendage that affended many, also Rudolph I believe. It wont be long before the TB's will now be moderated as well since there are people with 1. Bad taste. 2. Easily offended by bad taste. Myself I could care less if I saw the tb's that are "questionable" Kids see it everyday (unless constipated), and many more say it. You take your kids in public, you hear someone say it. Are you going to go over and censor the guy? Chances are your kid will hear a few more profanities. Now I am not saying that it should be allowed. I am not saying it shouldn't be allowed. No matter what any and everything is going to offend someone at some point. Some things more than others, and those are the ones that get "censored". Personally I see nothing wrong with profanity, it is a word, whether slang or not, it still invokes an image, idea into another persons mind. That is what words are for-Communication. Some words evoke stronger emotions than other. That is why they are used. I am still waiting for the bich tb to come out. and before censoring look up bich. it is a word, though sounds similarily to another word, though even it has a non-slang term to it.

I can just picture some southern belle opening an ammobox, placing the back of her hand to her forehead, fanning herself with the other and stating “My delicate sensibilities have been offended”! before fainting.

I think several of you need a big whack with a Get Over It! stick.

And Duane? Stay away from the light! I’m not sure you’ll enjoy the company all that much.

Some of us at the campout had a hard time trying to pronounce your username. I felt uncomfortable saying it around my kids. You suggested that everyone call you "Duane". Why not take the noble way out of this mess and change your username to something less offensive?

Amen.

;);)

Upinyapoo-poo?

I think ChitHead would be more appropriate. Remember geocaching is for everyone. Why use profanity? It dosen't make people look at your logs and say "WoW this guy must be real cool to come up with a name like that" Time to grow up and make areal name for yourself!

(Just my personal opinion)

BTW, regarding profanity, you have to look at the big picture.

If it is allowed then eventually this site will fall under sites that have to be screened out by some IP's because of the content.

Example: I'm sure there are a lot of AOL users out there. It would be a shame if more AOL users never saw the site because the content was deemed to be offensive by AOL.

Some people need to just lighten up, and get over it (or themselves)

Its the same as with AnyThing Else:

"If you dont like it, dont _____ it."

If this TB name, or a username bugs you- Stop watching it, stop reading the posts, stop hunting those caches. ITs a FREE world- Its up to YOU to moderate the things in your life that you can control. The rest of the world is out of your control, and you have no control over it or anyone else.

I can just picture some southern belle opening an ammobox, placing the back of her hand to her forehead, fanning herself with the other and stating “My delicate sensibilities have been offended”! before fainting.

And Duane? Stay away from the light! I’m not sure you’ll enjoy the company all that much.

Oh, I forgot to mention...sometimes when I'm caching, I see real doggy doo-doo! (Uncontrollable sobbing)

There is no "approval process" for TBs.

Personally, I don't find it offensive. I find it hard to believe that it would be offensive to children--as long as they are not being equated to said material--as they will come up with similar terms even in a vacuum.

In short, it's just a word.

I'll go with that. I'm not a fan of Upinyachit, and have never stepped in to be on his side. But this time, I still see a level of hypocracy where Upinyachit's post was deleted. Taken on its own, it would be an OK statement.

I also still find a level of hypocracy in place where this TB is ok to have, but a simple statement (in spite of any pun written or read into it) that did not have anything offensive in it wasn't ok to keep in place.

Not everybody keeps everything PG here, but to hold Upinyachit to a higher standard in the face of this TB is purely targeting him. To bring it down to a "high school" level... it's allowing bullies to pick on someone.

To tell him to deal with it

To tell him its ok for this TB but not for his post

To tell him to change or modify his nic

To tell him to him to pick up his ball and go home

None of these above statements are conducive to a community who collectively declares and strives to be a positive reinforcement that this is a sport for everybody. These are indicative of a people who would pick on someone who made mistakes and showed plenty of abrasiveness and won't let him forget it even when he is trying to make good. These are the people that need to re-evaluate where they are.

As far as family orientation is concerned... tell me the redeeming family values of this particular TB. Regardless of what children learn even in a vacuum... I wouldn't want to bring any of my young nieces or nephes to a cache that had this TB in it.

Who started it this time? The folks that created the TB and handed it to Upinyachit as a joke which he took it in great stride, or the Admin that waited for him to post to delete it if it even came within a smidgen of something that smacked of being offensive and yet the TB stays alive, or the people who made those suggestions to better himself in one way shape or fashion?!? He is merely protesting the hypocracy. In this, unfortunately I have to agree with him.

Because of this, I restate:

it would be my advisement to take another look at this.

Oh, I forgot to mention...sometimes when I'm caching, I see real doggy doo-doo! (Uncontrollable sobbing)

...and I see dead animals sometimes too - so now I can make models of them and put them in caches?

Just because things CAN be done doesn't mean they HAVE TO BE. That is the line that we call common decency.

That is exactly right. It needs to be reported to get attention. I have only heard about that one today. I immediately sent a message requesting that the page be modified and the offensive material be removed. More people should do this if they find that page offensive.

A very active thread this one.

For the record, I made a point with my statement that things can be easily taken past the intent. Fwiw, I'm never easily offended. But I do become offended by double standards and attempts to set people up for failure and then criticize them for it. It's just wrong.

Mtn-man, I made my latest about taking another look at this before I saw your post. Thanks for taking a positive step towards resolution.

Well now,

The TB doesn't bother me.

Duanes name doesn't bother me, I'd have trouble pronouncing it because it doesn't flow. So we would call him Duane, Up, or Mr. s*** ;) when I wanted to flip hims some chit.

Given the circumstances I can't see the issue with the log entry. But I don't have mod powers and so I really don't give the south end of a north bound ratt about minor BS like this. Someone else does though.

Another way to look at it. If TPTB are focusing on you, they are leaving someone else alone. Have I said thanks lately?

A number of posts in this topic have erroneously stated that CO Admin had deleted a log that Upinyachit had posted to a cache page. In actuality, the post was edited. You can see the cache page and the log here. It is not the volunteers' place to delete a legitimate log entry, but we do edit them from time to time for content deemed to be offensive. I have edited a number of logs myself for this reason. As stated above, volunteer reviewers do not have this capability for travel bugs like we do for cache pages, log entries and forum posts.

Just setting the record straight. Thank you.

Somewhere I've seen that FCC broadcast standards are the basis upon which these forums would be judged.

I've heard worse on TV than I usually see in logs and in these forums. This thread and the incident that started it would make for a good sitcom moment and would be broadcast in all it's chitty glory.

some people make a cache look like poop, so what is wrong with a cache that looks like poop. As for everything else being discussed in here, i plead the 5th

As DIS..GUST...ING (emphatic quote from my 5 yr old daughter) as the TB is, I don't have a problem with that...just the profanity in the name and the double standard that Duane had a log deleted on a page listing said profanity.

and personally, I don't want to find a cache or a TB of this type....but I don't care if others make them. just name them a little more politely!

I appreciate having places where my kids DON'T hear that language again. Yes, they're just words and they're not going to permanently damage delicate ears, but why not try to set a better example?

I asked the same question about a cache that was not approved because I jokingly asked that the finders send a picture of themselves telling me I'm "#1" if that's how they felt after finding the cache. The admin. said it's a family site, hmmm... I replied.." O.k. I'll take that out but why is there a local cacher allowed to have the user name of Prison Bitch?" Is that not offensive?? O.k. I feel better now.

Cache on!

During the course of discussion about another TB, it was mentioned that even though there are no specific guidelines for a TB, and they are not "approved", they still fall under the Terms Of Use for the website. Since you have to have an account to activate a TB, you also had to agree to those terms.

There was recent discussion about another TB that seems like it violated them, and was deactivated. Some that might come into play with a TB include

You agree not to:

(a) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, slanderous, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, embarrassing, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable to any other person or entity.

<SNIP>

(d) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual property or proprietary rights of any person, including without limitation under any privacy or publicity rights.

Seems pretty broad to me, if TPTB decide to invoke it. Personally I am not offended by this TB or Duane's screen name, but I wouldn't want to send a 7yr old to school chanting either one.

If Howard Stern can't even say it on the air, it probably has no place here either.

A number of posts in this topic have erroneously stated that CO Admin had deleted a log that Upinyachit had posted to a cache page. In actuality, the post was edited. You can see the cache page and the log here. It is not the volunteers' place to delete a legitimate log entry, but we do edit them from time to time for content deemed to be offensive. I have edited a number of logs myself for this reason. As stated above, volunteer reviewers do not have this capability for travel bugs like we do for cache pages, log entries and forum posts.

Just setting the record straight. Thank you.

Yer right. Don't know where I got deleted from. Thanks for the correction.

..... but we do edit them from time to time for content deemed to be offensive

"Offensive" is Very objective, isnt it ? i

Miller Test of Obscenity

The Miller test comes from the U.S. Supreme Court's 1973 decision in Miller v. California. It creates a three-part test to determine if an item is obscene. All three parts must be satisfied. Note: Most pornography does not meet this test, and is not legally obscene. The test asks:

(i) whether “the average person, applying contemporary community standards” would find that the work, taken as a whole, appeals to the prurient interest,

(ii) whether the work depicts or describes, in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct specifically defined by the applicable state law, and

(iii) whether the work, taken as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value.

Miller v. California, 413 U.S. 15, 24 (1973).

The first two prongs of the Miller test -- prurient interest and patent offensiveness -- are issues of fact for a jury to determine, applying contemporary community standards. The third prong, serious value, is not determined by a given community or state, but is instead a reasonableness standard. (Pope v. Illinois, 481 U.S. 497, 500 (1987)).

The Constitutional definition of obscenity was further narrowed by the Supreme Court in 1985, when it wrote that an item was not obscene if it provoked only normal healthy sexual desires. To be obscene, material must predominantly appeal to a shameful or morbid interest in nudity, sex or excretions. (Brockett v. Spokane Arcades, 472 U.S. 491, 498 (1985)).

A number of posts in this topic have erroneously stated that CO Admin had deleted a log that Upinyachit had posted to a cache page.  In actuality, the post was edited.  You can see the cache page and the log here.  It is not the volunteers' place to delete a legitimate log entry, but we do edit them from time to time for content deemed to be offensive.  I have edited a number of logs myself for this reason.  As stated above, volunteer reviewers do not have this capability for travel bugs like we do for cache pages, log entries and forum posts.

Just setting the record straight.  Thank you.

Double standards seems to be a fitting phrase in this case. The guys post was edited in a page containing this?

(Image removed by moderator, that word is not allowed in the forums)

RE-EDITED by poster - but the word is allowed on the cache page it seems, and in the name of a travel bug - like I said, a double standard.

The image that was removed was a partial screen grab from the page in question. I admit, I posted it to see if it would be moderated.

Edited by bug&snake

I did not want to, BUT, guess I have to put something in. First Duane's "handle"... DON"T CHANGE IT !!! when I first saw it, I read the "ch" as in CHeck, not caCHe, after all it is the beginning of the syllable. ;)

Second, while the TB is questionable, it is the name of the attached item, and to children, IT IS FUNNY !!!. ;) It is only we "adults" that make a natural body function, dirty, just like farting, especialy in crowds or elevators. ;) And for those that dont know, it is the very last thing your body will do when you "pass". ;) Is this why it's called passing gas?

and third but definitely not last, Are we really becoming the United States of the OFFENDED? What happened to freedom of speach, freedom of expression? The american flag can be burnt, but we can't see or hear the word s***? ;)

just had to say something.... ;)

ps, I did spell the word, just in case I get edited. ;)