Credit Card Payment For Membership

nonnipoppy

I filled in the paypal information this evening but got cut off while waiting for the confirmation. Don't wish to pay twice as getting a refund willm probably be impossible.

As a result I am not sure if I have become a premium member yet! I'll wait for a few days so see what notifications I get.

Peter

I'll check the status of credit card transactions first thing in the morning. Setting up a merchant account has been more work than we thought.  <_<

Is it tomorrow yet? :P Due to scheduling issues I must do something before next wednesday. I anxiously await your reply. :lol:

Is Groundspeak capable of accepting credit card payments directly for premium membership? :bad: I only have 15 days left.

:) I too am interested in knowing this, as I would like to subscribe for Premium membership using a credit card. Is this in the very near future?

You can use PayPal.

Baloo&bd wrote

You can use PayPal.

<_< Not if PayPal keeps rejecting your applications and gives no reason why!! PayPal is a total exercise in frustration. About 10 applications using different CCs = ZIP response. Emailing support about what the problem could be just brings up a request to phone them! Very expensive toll call to USA from here! I think I will give them a miss. :lol:

Baloo&bd wrote
You can use PayPal.

:lol: Not if PayPal keeps rejecting your applications and gives no reason why!! PayPal is a total exercise in frustration. About 10 applications using different CCs = ZIP response. Emailing support about what the problem could be just brings up a request to phone them! Very expensive toll call to USA from here! I think I will give them a miss. <_<

Ditto. To top this they blocked my credit card for too many attempts entering the same number (because they never accepted my billing address entered correctly and in other similar ways). I won't use that service again. :lol:

My membership is up in a week and I don't want to use PayPal myself as I don't have an active account and don't want to make another one just for this site, I hope that Geocaching.com will accept Credit Cards soon so when my membership runs out I can reknew.

Elias wrote Jun21 2004

This is being actively worked on, but we're still several weeks out before we can begin beta testing.

What's the latest estimate when this facility will be available? I want to be a premium member but have been completely stopped in my quest by PainPal for some reason known only to their computer! :anitongue:

Any news on this topic?

I don't understand why you put time in such things as icons for box sizes but not take charge of more important stuff like accepting credit card payment?! There are a lot of people out there who cannot or do not want to use painpal but would like to become a supporting and _paying_ member! This has been promised for May and now it's already September. If it is really actively worked on why don't you post some news from time to time so people don't have to wonder about the current state.

Any news on this topic?

I don't understand why you put time in such things as icons for box sizes but not take charge of more important stuff like accepting credit card payment?! There are a lot of people out there who cannot or do not want to use painpal but would like to become a supporting and _paying_ member! This has been promised for May and now it's already September. If it is really actively worked on why don't you post some news from time to time so people don't have to wonder about the current state.

While I too would love this feature for renewing my account, they fact 'they are not working on it' might well be due to the difficulty involved in getting a merchants account - something they have said in the past was problematic.

I'm sure they are using their time to the best advantage. If they have to wait on someone else, why not dabble with other things in the meantime?

Of course I accept to pay a token to improve my preparation time to go out caching... and my credit card payment was accepted September 2nd. Since then, I have even less options than before! "Membership not existing" is all the info I get back when I try to activate my account in GC.com with the subscription # PayPal provided. No problem taking my money though... :D S-blablabla...? :o

Help!

Of course I accept to pay a token to improve my preparation time to go out caching... and my credit card payment was accepted September 2nd. Since then, I have even less options than before! "Membership not existing" is all the info I get back when I try to activate my account in GC.com with the subscription # PayPal provided.

If you send us an email, we'll look this up for you and get it resolved.

:o Elias

No reply to the request for an update on credit card payment for membership, but a quick promise of help for another PayPal problem. Is the credit card option still being pursued?

I'd like to know the same thing. Now that I have a job, becoming a paying member isn't that far out of the realm of possibility. Just not on pay-pal.

Sorry, guys, But I know too many people that have gotten jerked around by Pay Pal that I just won't use the service. (Multiple people I know have had their accounts dissapear after they had collected more than $100 in them. Not alot for some, but for small business that's a ton to just lose for kicks.)

Is the credit card option still being pursued?

Its actively being worked on.

:rolleyes: Elias

Elias,

Have you considered Worldpay? I use Fastmail.fm as my email provider and they took care of my c.c. processing. Seems to be a decent service, and they accept lots of different currencies & credit cards...

http://www.worldpay.com/usa_en/sme/

-Jason

Edited by jkibbe
It's actively being worked on. Thats all we need to know.

Well, it seems as if this whole merchant credit card idea has been worked on for months now - at least from what I've read from the other thread on this topic, so I figured I'd just offer my $0.02. I figured it couldn't hurt. It may be easier to allow a third party take care of the processing and web integration, rather than trying to code it in-house. Didn't mean to be intrusive...

Unless the story has changed I don't think it is an issue of getting a merchant account.

Last I heard it was a problem gettting or writing software to handle the payments. I think Groundspeak must already have a merchant account because I think you can use a regular credit card to purchase gc.com stuff. I will have to check on that it has been a long time since I have purchased anything from that site. Just tried to check but there was too many forms to fill out to get to the point to see payment options.

At the risk of another warning I am just not seeing what the problem is. I have this done all the time, magazine subscriptions get renewed on my credit card, my car lease payment is made every month to my credit card, my payments on my NRA life membership are paid every quarter on my credit card. I am just not getting what is so different in the gc.com model that is making this so difficult to do.

My membership ran out in August and I won't be renewing until credit cards are accepted. I would encourage everyone to do the same if you have a problem with paypal, and it appears that many do. I know my $30 is not going to make or break their operation but it is the only tool I have to make this point. Maybe if more people stop complaining about it and actually stopped using paypal it is possible that the voices would be heard.

Of all of the projects that would appear to be on the drawing board I would think making sure people could send their money in how they want would be at the top of the list. But that is just me. Instead there seems to be time to come up with new icons, screensavers, backgrounds and smilies. Oh well, I guess it is their choice what they want to make a priority.

Edited by GrizzlyJohn
This thread has had 1,107 views to date.  To me this indicates there are many more people waiting for the ability to pay by credit card.

Every time someone looks at a thread it ups it's viewed count, whether or not it's a 'new' view... for example, I've looked at this thread at least 30 times. Each time upped that count. So it isn't necessarily 1107 unique individuals...

And I'd still love to be able to pay with a debit/credit card over paper check. :rolleyes:

Last I heard it was a problem gettting or writing software to handle the payments.

The thing is getting something that manages memberships, I think. Right now the whole distribution of confirmation numbers, acceptance of confirmations, checking to see if you need to re-subscribe, annual subscriptions - it's all done through paypal.

There's more infrastructure to build than just a payment module. If they didn't need to actually provide us services after the payment is accepted - I'm sure it'd be up and running already ;)

I've been watching this thread with interest, but have never felt compelled to post to it. Well today I got an email from Groundspeak letting me know that my membership is almost up. So now it is my turn to add to this discussion.

Last year I used Paypal. When I purchased my membership, Paypal pulled money from an account that I'm pretty sure I had removed. The result was an overdraft with the bank, and my membership ended up costing about twice as much as it should have. Of course, Paypal would do nothing. So now I also refuse to use them in any more dealings.

I could use a check to re-up my membership, but I don't really like that idea either. I prefer to use checks only for face to face transactions. I can't remember the last time I used a check to pay for something through the mail.

Jeremy, I believe your website is very deserving of the cost of a membership. If the means for me were available, I would re-up my membership right now. But if Paypal remains the only option available to me, I will regretably be forced to let my membership lapse. Maybe this is almost complete and I won't have to even worry about it.

Also, does anyone know if I let my membership lapse, and then sign up again at a later time, will all my pocket queries still be set up?

Thanks,

--RuffRidr

Also, does anyone know if I let my membership lapse, and then sign up again at a later time, will all my pocket queries still be set up?

I can't say for sure but I think I remember reading about this before. I think someone had PQs set up and forgot to renew. And I think the fact they did not get PQs triggered them to find out why and then saw their membership had lapsed. They renewed and then their PQs showed up for them. They really were not expecting to see them but it looks like it did hold the information there.

We let ours lapse for a couple of days. Signed up and something like 7 or 9 PQs ran all at once. Don't know how long they will hold them.

What's funny was I was wanting to run a another PQ, found out membership lapsed, signed up again, the PQs ran going over the limit so now I couldn't run the PQ I was wanting.

Got it the next day no problem, though.