Event Caches

Muskytooth

I'm not new to geocaching but I am new to the event cache. I know what it is but can someone tell me what is involved setting one up?

What would I need to know? Do I have to bring food? Do I have to hide special caches? Any additional info would be great.

Thanks, Muskytooth

Hermits have no peer pressure.

icon_cool.gifhi muskytooth, I do alot of event caches in my area and the answers to your questions are both. It mostly depends on what the cachers in your area are used to. Most of the time in our area we set up a couple of special event caches or we plan out routes of caches we would like to do if we are planning a camping event. Yes I usually supply some kind of event prizes either base on a door prize system or based on some kind of game play that we have at the event. as far scheduling goes if you have a local organiztion in your area check with them for conflicts with scheduling if not I just try to contact th local cachers in my area to see when a good time to get together for everybody would be and then set it up on the web page. one other thing that has went well here is to set up some type of themed event. I set up The Mission IMpossible Event. We actually had agents to set up caches to announce the event date ,time, location ect. so to be able to come to the event youhad to find the micros to know the paticulars. I also had other agents who set up special caches at the event for us and only they knew about them. it was a huge sucess. I hope these ideas help and if you have other questions email me at my profile and I will be glad to help.

the federation

boldly going where others have gone before

At the other end of the event cache spectrum, we try to keep it simple. We've only held one, with a second coming up, but it worked out well. Our formula is to place a bunch of new caches in the area, find a spot for everybody to meet, and leave it at that. People are have been quite generous, bringing plenty of food and drink to share - nobody goes hungry! I've been to events that had extra activities, such as GPS accuracy tests, which were a lot of fun. It all depends on how much effort you want to put in to it, and what you think folks will most enjoy.

Here is an example of a well done event cache. you might want to e-mail the hider of this cache for additional info.

I agree with the others. Event caches can be as simple or extravgant as you want them to be. Just remember to make sure that Geocaching is the main reason for the event.

CO Admin

frog.gif The Frog is my friend frog.gif

our local cachers just had a smashingly successful picnic. furrs set it up, and many folks brought caches and TBs for us to find at the event. we had a blast and stayed too late and met all the folks with whom we trade goodies and signatures. it was like a reunion of old friends, except most of us had never met face-to-face. one set of us used the event for their 100th find, which i think was beautiful. i think we should use one for all our milestones.

we're thinking of another to-do for the fall.

-====)) -))))))))))))

presta schrader