California Geocoins

Delta-S

there is still work to do on making the image ready for minting. i think the ideas for the front of the coin are good....but need to be organized a little better. as for the back with the 49er...he needs a backdrop in my opinion., perhaps some mountains.

as for numbering - we oculd continue it starting at 2005 or start with something like CA0001

I'm in for 5 whatever the design.

And I agree...a less busy (but classy) coin looks better than a coin packed with graphics.

Ed

and

I'll take the opposing sdie on this one :anicute: .

A lot of the coins are getting really busy and I think less is more on this side.

I tend to agree with this. I intended the design to be a bit minimalist; however mountains in the backdrop will probably look good. I am fine either way.

Edited by Blind Avocado

When the coin is minted, you'll be surpised how good empty space looks. It really stands out above the "dirty" look of too much raised stuff. My concern is getting this coin to mint! It's April already, and I'd like to get my hands on some fancy-dancy metal and wooden Cali coins.

The design looks great, let's settle on it and get this ball (err coin) rolling. Can someone re-draw this cleanly so it can be sent to mint?

That color scheme looks very good! What makes the Hollywood sign look like the Hollywood sign is the uneven lettering because it is on a hill. I think it should look as much like the original as possible. OK I'm done picking nits now. ;)

BTW when they are ordered put me down for 10

Edited by Blind Avocado

If you are planning on having CA#### format for the serial number of the coins, let me know so I can change the tracking page to allow for this. (Actually, the database table would need to be changed because that field is currently a number type.)

I was wondering if anyone knows how much Groundspeak charges for a 'bank' of numbers if a group wants to track their coins on the GC.com site.

--Marky

I was wondering if anyone knows how much Groundspeak charges for a 'bank' of numbers if a group wants to track their coins on the GC.com site.

--Marky

Not sure of the exact pricing, but I think MrCoGeo knows from his work on the Colorada coin.

If that's the direction that we're going somebody whoudl touch base with him.

things we wil have to realize about a two sided coin:

• each side requires a setup/die fee
  • tracking on the geocaching.com site costs money
  • tracking with Marky on calif.geocoin.net is free
  • putting color on a coin wil walso add to the fee
  • going with pressed metal, no color and the "official geocaching.com" back side is probably the cheapest way to go.

my guess is that for 1000 coins ordered it will cost $3 or more.

once i get the final idea tuned in....i'll start sending it to the coin makers and find the best deal.

Edited by The Dillon Gang

That design is a winer! I will be willing to pay a little more for a great looking coin. Is "2005" going to be on the coin anywhere? As far as tracking, it does not matter to me which site it is tracked on. Tracking on gc.com would be great, but if it is too expensive then we should just stay with the California site. It's free and works well.

• going with pressed metal, no color and the "official geocaching.com" back side is probably the cheapest way to go.

once i get the final idea tuned in....i'll start sending it to the coin makers and find the best deal.

But I thought a colour coin had been requested/suggested by several people. We all know that it adds to the cost. Maybe there needs to be a vote on this issue before the design goes to a coin maker.

Contacted by both Dillion Gang and Marky and if you want to pursue GC.com tracking Bryan Roth of Groundspeak is the man to contact about tracking policy and fee. Currently 1.50 per tracking code in alpha-numeric format.

We are going with Aaron Charles Inc. (www.coinsandpins.com) for the CO Geocoins. Excellent to work with, able to engrave tracking code, some of the best pricing and great coins, they will send out some samples and/or multiple finish samples can be ordered.

(one example is up to 4 colors are no extra charge :huh: )

Also Groundspeak Inc. does have a Geocaching.com die with them now also.

One of the reasons that I would suggest NOT going with the Groundspeak tracking is the fact that these coins will most likely be ending up in people's personal collections rather than moving from cache to cache, so I think it is a big waste of money. That's just me though and maybe I'm wrong about them not moving. The only way I would consider paying is if we got to have our own icon like moun10bike does. :huh:

--Marky

•  

What's wrong with minting a Quality Coin?

What's wrong with a $5.00 coin?

CA in my opinion should strive to put out an Awesome Color coin with both sides being represenative of the state.

When WA minted there coin 1500 of them flew off the shelf and it seems nobody squabbled over the price!

I say strive for the best and let the price not be an issue.

Just my few cents worth.

Pepper

Edited by Pepper

Ok ok, so let's loop the conversation back to the center of the topic. Are we settled on that design, or is there a few final touches being placed on this?

When I order the wooden nickels, it'll be in black-and-white.. err, black-and-wood rather. We'll have to orchestrate the proper numbering sequence so that the metal coins don't overlap with the wood nickels (so they can both be properly tracked).

I agree with Pepper, we should be focusing on minting a really nice coin this time around rather than worry so much about the price. If the coin is awesome, it will get plenty of orders at $5 each. I definitely vote for the two sided color version.

If we are going to go to an alphanumeric serial number, you could have a different set of numbers for the wooden nickels (i.e. something like CA0001N). Personally, I'd just go for reserving a different set of numbers for the wooden nickels only because that is less work for me (if we go with an alphanumeric serial number, I have to modify the tracking code).

--Marky

Are we settled on that design, or is there a few final touches being placed on this?

i am putting the finishing touches on this desgin. i have an artist type person line drawing the golden gate bridge and the joshua tree. the miner i am working on how to emboss it (3D) so that it looks great. i.e. the pan sunken lower than the miner, his shoulder higher than the head (maybe)

as for tracking, how bout something like for the wooden coin use a 5 digit number with the first number the same. i.e. 50001, 50026 ( i picked the 5 cause its a nickel :D )

Are we settled on that design, or is there a few final touches being placed on this?

i am putting the finishing touches on this desgin. i have an artist type person line drawing the golden gate bridge and the joshua tree. the miner i am working on how to emboss it (3D) so that it looks great. i.e. the pan sunken lower than the miner, his shoulder higher than the head (maybe)

as for tracking, how bout something like for the wooden coin use a 5 digit number with the first number the same. i.e. 50001, 50026 ( i picked the 5 cause its a nickel :D )

No problemo.

Just to be clear - a color does not mean it's going to be a $5.00 coin. You can do a nice multi-color coin (both sides) for about $3.50 - depending on the company. Now add it some for numbers, expoxy, etc. and you may get closer to $5.00 but color in and of itslef does not mean it's going to run $5.00.

As for the tracking - few will travel, so I could care less if they are tracked at all. If we do want tracking, I vote to keep it on Marky's site.

Just to make sure you guys know, you can track them at travelertags.

I e-mailed them previously and you can pay for tracking (so you can sell the coins).

Here was there response:

"For 100 tag numbers I can give you special account access to create your own tags. Tags (that you actually mint and use) are .60 a piece. If you mint in a lot of 250 or more it's .40 a piece. You may resell or market your coins under this pricing structure"

So .40 each to track on their website, quite a bargain when you compare it.

Hope this helps you decide.

Yes, please don't use travelertags. You only here good things from the people that get the free or cheap numbers. People that aren't familiar with them complain often about how hard it is to log coins on their site and their lack of customer service.

I do understand people wanted a cheaper coin the first time around, and there isn't really any reason those can't still be minted. At $3 people throw those in caches all the time. But we're also ready for a higher end coin as well. I think the colour on one side and just a plain metal design on the other will look sweet. I would caution about trying to get a $3 or $4 colour coin. Having seen many coins, there is a difference in quality with the cheaper companies. They aren't aweful, but there is a difference in the detail work and crispness of edges. I wouldn't go with coins and pins for example.

Travelertags requires every finder that wants to log the coin to register with their site. For that reason, I would vote against that option.

Travelertags support sucks! I made a mistake when registering my name on that site, and after 5 e-mails to their support, I gave up. I had support tracking #s and everything. You'd think that a site that makes money off of people registering #s and tracking them would want people to be able to log in.

My site remains free until at least 2011 when the domain name registration runs out. <_< Considering that I track our smashed pennies on the same domain, if we are still caching, then I will probably renew it. :blink:

--Marky

I vote to leave the tracking at the California geocoin site. Free is still cheaper then the traveler tag site and the California site works pretty well.

I am open to suggestions if there something that you would like implemented on the site.

--Marky

Edited by Marky

I am open to suggestions if there something that you would like implemented on the site.

--Marky

Question: Is there a way us to see all of our registered coins? Right now I have a list of my coins and I think I have to enter them individually, vs. being able to say "show me a list of all my coins"?

I'll be honest in saying that I haven't been on the site for a few months now so don't shoot me if I've just figured out how to do this <_< .

--Marky

Question: Is there a way us to see all of our registered coins? Right now I have a list of my coins and I think I have to enter them individually, vs. being able to say "show me a list of all my coins"?

I'll be honest in saying that I haven't been on the site for a few months now so don't shoot me if I've just figured out how to do this <_< .

On the search page, you can do that. Here is the resulting search for you.

--Marky

Owner notification of new logs on coins they own. :lol:

It would actually be easier to do a generic watch list funtionality. I'll see if I can get that going. This would require you to manually watch all your coins, but most people don't own that many, so it wouldn't be a big deal, especially if I set it up so that you could enter a comma seperated list of coins to watch.

There is a potential for abuse that I have to safegaurd against, since I don't require logins.

--Marky

I agree. just a quick note, these suggestions are fantastic but we'll have to make some exceptions if we want to get this coin before winter. :lol: When Dillon re-posts his latest design of the coin, we can see if it'll work out. Trust me, it'll look 100 times better ont he coin than anything you'll see here--it's just the nature of these coins.

Owner notification of new logs on coins they own. :lol:

It would actually be easier to do a generic watch list funtionality. I'll see if I can get that going. This would require you to manually watch all your coins, but most people don't own that many, so it wouldn't be a big deal, especially if I set it up so that you could enter a comma seperated list of coins to watch.

There is a potential for abuse that I have to safegaurd against, since I don't require logins.

--Marky

People don't log the coins anyhow. What I have done is set up a GC.com bookmark list with all the caches where my coins are. That way when someone finds a cache and logs "Took geocoin", I know it was taken even if they never log it on Marky's site. Of course I never know if they kept the coin or dropped it in another cache (although I suppose I could email the finder and ask).

Caches with tozainamboku's California geocoins

People don't log the coins anyhow.

I thought the same thing so I checked the site just a few minutes ago. I'd sya that 50% of mine are being logged and moved along - muc to my surpise!

Yes some are going to go MIA quickly, but I'm surprised at how many of mine are actually being tracked and moving.

People don't log the coins anyhow.

I thought the same thing so I checked the site just a few minutes ago. I'd sya that 50% of mine are being logged and moved along

Just think how much better they would track if "TRACK AT CALIF.GEOCOIN.NET" was on the coin. :lol:

When we put our california coins out, we add a tracking note that explains how and where to track them. The geocaching.com URL on the back just adds to the coinfusion.

--Marky