California Geocoins

Delta-S

I think it would be a good idea to do like some other places and ask for designs with a dead line and then have people vote on which they want.  If we decide on a north/south coin they could vote on two.

Sounds like good advice......

Anyone out there who is interested in helping create the next version of the california geocoin.....GO FOR IT!

• Send your image to cageocoin@earthlink.net or post it here in the forum
  • If they are emailed to me I will post them on the web and provide a link to them so all can pick and choose
  • Any help/ideas/drawings/suggestions would and will be greatly appreciated :)

What say a deadline of 2 weeks from today to get in entries (January 17).

here's just goofing off:

calif-web.jpg

Edited by The Dillon Gang

Ooops never mind I didn't read the last few post correctly.

Just interested in getting soome 2005 geocoins.

However I would like to get a 2004 if anyone wishes to sell me one. I am going to Paris, France and want to get one and place it in a cache back there.

Ken

Edited by woodyk

was hoping for some designs to flow down the pipe...haven't seen any. i am currently playing around with the colorado geocoin concept improving my photoshop skills.

as for the old ca geocoin.....there are no more. you will have to find them on the trail. Bob and I are not planning on having any more minted.

The new one is on hold for the moment....(lots of honey dos around the house left for me by the big storm)

Any ideas for the new coin -- written or in graphics are welcome.

Well here's a very rough idea. I'm no good at computer stuff and couldn't find a good image of the Hollywood sign. I know the 2 images don't relate to all Californians, but a large population lives in some proxemity to them, they represent 2 distinct sections of California and people from outside the state and even the country would recognize them.

And I thought we could use a differnt company and add colour like has been suggested before. Just a couple colours on each side in a stylized design to punch it up a bit.

CaliCoin.jpg

Okay, I've got a few ideas here to be picked apart. I thing the 2-sided Nor-cal, Socal idea is a good one. Or maybe Natural images representing the diverse landscapes of CA....like a rocky shore, yosemite valley, and joshua trees or something.

Or maybe the images on one side and a little ditty on the back i.e.:

From Nor-cal to So-cal

and everywhere in between

On mountains and beaches

and deserts full of j-trees

There's still gold in California

just waiting to be found!

And then (just because Team Biggeeks rules <_< ):

If it's geocache gold you seek,

come to California you big geek!

Biggeek Ben :blink:

I like the road and the route 66 sign, but I think there are too many images. I'd just pick a few and make a more intergrated scene. I'm thinking make the buildings bigger, they could be in colour with bare metal mountains behind and get rid of the wave because it seems to be just and add on. The tracking number could go down there.

Thinking about how pretty the latest Moun10Bike and Washington geocoins are with the color, I think it would be cool to do something like that with Half Dome or Lake Tahoe. Kinda like what The Dillon Gang came up with in January, but with a more recognizable profile.

The designs above are nice and all, but shouldn't we show something beautiful about our state, instead of a bunch of buildings and a road sign? :rolleyes:

Yeah, the view into Yosemite Valley is amazing, or Half Dome would be cool.

When people visiting California ask me what they should go see, Yosemite is always my #1 answer. Hollywood, with apologies to my sister in the film biz, is NOT on the list. :rolleyes:

I love the Idea of a Yosemite scene on the California coin. As others have said, when friends come to California, I tell them NOT to miss Yosemite. A color rendition would be just WAY to cool.

Other ideas could be a Whale Tail (in fact that could be the "tails" side of the coin. LoL (OK that doesn't deserve a LoL... maybe just a little "heh-heh").

I've asked a few graphics design fellows I know to take a stab at a design too.

Great! Look forward to some new design talent. dividing time between work family and geocaching.....geocaching seems to be at the bottom at the moment. However, spring break is coming soon!!!!!

As for the above image:

i was attempting to represent southern ca with

San Bernadino Mountains, Route 66, Joshua Tree, LA/San Diego City, and some water

For Northern ca i was thinking

Half Dome, San Francisco bridge, some coastline from no cal (monterey or Carmel) and perhaps a Giant Sequoia Tree.

As for the above image:

i was attempting to represent southern ca with

San Bernadino Mountains, Route 66, Joshua Tree, LA/San Diego City, and some water

For Northern ca i was thinking

Half Dome, San Francisco bridge, some coastline from no cal (monterey or Carmel) and perhaps a Giant Sequoia Tree.

If a tree is to be on the coin may I suggest the redwood. Sequoias may be the largest in diameter but the redwoods are the tallest trees in the world and represent a larger territory than the sequoias do and they would help anchor the northern part of the state into the coin.

I love the Idea of a Yosemite scene on the California coin.  As others have said, when friends come to California, I tell them NOT to miss Yosemite.  A color rendition would be just WAY to cool.

Okay, I understand the Yosemite thing. But, there is a difference between how beautiful in person and how it would look on a coin. I was thinking what would be recognizable to people that aren't from here. I might just be off base, but I'm betting way more people would recognize the golden gate than half dome.

Jeesh, we need a Nav Dog down here.

BTW, there is a group that will buy at least 60 coins.

Edited by Nurse Dave

That's a winner, I vote that 110%. On a coin, that'll really look good. By the way, since we are on the subject.. I've noticed that some folks have been seeking a cheaper alternative to the hard-metal geocoins, and I think it'd be cool if we could orchestrate the design of wooden nickels too. They are cheaper, and can fit nicely into all budgets when hard-metal coins are too expensive.

What is the status of the California geocoins? Are design ideas still being taken? I would like to help get this going. If there is anything I can do please let me know. Here is a design idea I would like to submit.

Is that a Joshua Tree? I love Joshua Trees and the places I have to go in order to see them. I'll vote for a Joshua Tree.

Thanks for the compliments evreybody! I would love to see this as the next California coin. Will the next coins also be tracked on the California geocoins tracking site? BTW, yes that is a Joshua tree; I like the desert too. :o Hwy 395 is a good idea, or even hwy 40 through gold country, but I think PCH is more recognizable to more people. Again, please let me know if there is anything I can do to make this happen.

That's a winner, I vote that 110%. On a coin, that'll really look good. By the way, since we are on the subject.. I've noticed that some folks have been seeking a cheaper alternative to the hard-metal geocoins, and I think it'd be cool if we could orchestrate the design of wooden nickels too. They are cheaper, and can fit nicely into all budgets when hard-metal coins are too expensive.

Ok so before we grab an order of the metals, can someone provide some input on the wooden nickel side of this?

I actually thought about an ammo can with the 49er. here is the alternate design I had.

bc6313fb-c4b0-4d05-8e79-32b0a725c981.jpg

The Redwood tree is a good idea, but you can't make it look tall and grand like it should next to the 49er. Perhaps adding a redwood to the other side along with joshua tree and other stuff.

The reason I finally left out the ammo can is that ( I think) it makes him look less like a 49er, but I like the ammo can because of the geocaching tie-in.

And I like the idea of wooden nickels too. Would they have the same design as the coin? An official California wooden nickel?

Edited by Blind Avocado

I like the original with the gold pan and "Eureka" on the back, too.

On the front, how about replacing the bridge with a redwood, the Hollywood sign with a palm, forget the highway and cities (to simplify it) and add an oak tree in the central valley?

Any chance these can be ready before GeoWoodstock at the end of May?

Debby

Everybody seemed to like the idea of redwoods, so I added a couple.

geocoin_front4.jpg

What do you think? I also took out the city names. I never thought that they would be in the final design, the words were too small. They were on the California image I used and I was just too lazy to erase them in Photoshop. My only concarn about the trees is can you make them look like a redwood on a small coin? Do these look OK?