Has This Been Tried Yet?

kc8hnz

Yes, there are other travel bugs whose mission is to transport travel bugs. One example centers around the Cannonball Run race, which you can read about in the travel bug forum. There are also plenty of bugs out there which have containers designed for trading small items, so it's both a bug and a traveling microcache (but it isn't logged as a cache, just as a bug).

A travel bug that moves from cache to cache, carrying another bug, is just fine. But your idea to use a travel bug page to get around the rule against traveling caches is problematic. If the traveler is hidden on its own, rather than inside an existing cache, its location won't show up in search results. How will someone know that the bug is sitting in the woods, several miles away from the nearest geocache, after having been moved there from another location 100 miles away?

To avoid confusion, I'd suggest limiting your "transporter" to visiting other geocaches.

You live in Ohio, a State where a permit is required before hiding a cache in a State Park, a State Forest, or in any of 8 or so county park systems. Three Ohio counties have banned geocaching entirely.

So, suppose someone hides your travel bug - which looks an awful lot like a cache container - 200 feet away from an approved cache in a Cleveland MetroPark. What would you do, as the owner of the cache, errr, travel bug? What would you do if you were the geocaching coordinator for the Cleveland MetroParks, who avidly follows the logs on the caches in the parks she represents?

Three Ohio counties have banned geocaching entirely.

Sorry to get off topic. I'm soon going to release two bugs. One of them will have a goal to visit a cache in every county in Ohio, and the other to have it's picture taken in front of an Ohio Bicentennial Barn. The barns are located in every county. Do you know which 3 counties have banned geocaching?

Sorry Eric, I should have been more specific. It is only the County Parks in Lake County, Licking County and Summit County where geocaches are not permitted. There are plenty of other places in each of those counties that can and do support many fine geocaches. For example, just in the past few months, city park officials in Mentor Ohio and Painesville Ohio have both hidden series of caches to highlight their beautiful parks and attract additional visitors. Mentor and Painesville are both located in Lake County!

I really do appreciate your being open-minded to the advice I gave, and also for asking in advance. As I said before, there is *no* problem with the imaginative idea of having a travel bug that transports other travel bugs or carries other contents. Just have it move from cache to cache like any other bug. Good luck and have fun!