S. Ontario Caches Suitable For Atv Access

Geofellas

Don't take this the wrong way - we love the countryside and love areas that are devoted to hiking and maintain the peace and quiet uninterrupted by loud engine noise :) . It annoys us (and here) as much as anyone else when people don't respect the "no motorized vehicles" signs :) . However, where appropriate, we also enjoy using our 6x6 amphibious Argo and would like to find more caches that are suitable for accessing by this mode.

Ones we have identified so far in Southern Ontario are:

"Victoria Bridge"

On A Wing and A Prayer

Off Roaders dream!!!

Swift Rapids

and our own Almost Algonquin which is, admittedly, rather tame compared with the others above (note to self - make the next one more challenging :) !!)

Does anyone know of others in Southern Ontario where it would be acceptable to have this kind of fun while caching?

from floyd you can get all the way to Rice Lake there's a cache just west of Hwy 28

at bewdley

long ride to get there

to get to white fish you enter forest near Gunter and exit just north of bon echo park great drive

Edited by debi13
from floyd you can get all the way to Rice Lake there's a cache just west of Hwy 28

at bewdley

long ride to get there

That sounds great - I'll definitely look into that one - it's a lot closer to home for us

to get to white fish you enter forest near Gunter and exit just north of bon echo park great drive

So, in the map below (sorry about the big filesize - becomes unreadable otherwise), do you enter by point B 44°53.471'N, 77°30.559'W (I see no trail marked there) or do you go from C 44°51.324'N, 77°33.983'W to D 44°50.604'N, 77°25.476'W to E 44°52.118'N, 77°27.000'W and then to Whitefish (possibly doing a side trip to take in GC3208 on the way)?

There seems to be a trail that is on the Bon Echo map but stops at A 44°51.819'N, 77°29.997'W as it crosses over onto the next map - do you know if that actually continues or is just not marked?

Whitefish1.jpg

If you come out north of Bon Echo is the trail head at F 44°58.397'N, 77°16.764'W as in the following map? I guess that is where you would enter to get to GC50FD as well.

Whitefish2.jpg

Edited by Geofellas

you can enter at from both places to get to whitefish lake

the southern entrance runs along the power lines and is a main snowmobile trail

more suited to trucks etc

from the northern point you can take a road called hydro road #1 (turns to the right) looks like someones driveway but nice way in

it's the best route

lots of trails every where in this area

I don't know if it is still permitted but there are tons of trails near the caches

Canel Lock Box (that is the correct spelling of the cache)

People used to go there a lot, I don't know if the St. Lawrence Seaway Commission in Niagara is cracking down or not. But I've been hiking there for two years and there are always ATV's there, and dirt bikes

B) The Blue Quasar

"Quadmeister Mike" has hidden a few:Bushwacker,

Moose Prints, Fisher,  are a few of his 4x4 caches.

Donna G

Did Bushwacker and, on the way in, Lingham yesterday ;):D:blink: .

Highly recommended for a challenging day out. 9½ hours from trail head to cache and back again. Bushwacker is definitely a 5/5 ;) - trails passable right now but you really will have to foot it the last 500m to Bushwacker and, if your balance is not perfect and you haven't practiced log walking for a while, perhaps swim a bit too!!

Pics will get posted in due course!!

First to reach Bushwacker for over 2 years :P - it's still there but the coffee can is a bit rusty now.