Protocol Of Logging Cache Visit

:) Hi! We're relatively new to this sport (12 finds so far!) and have a couple of questions. We've noticed that some people go around collecting TBs from caches but don't actually log their visit at each cache they take them from. Is this right? We thought you had to make an entry every time you visit a cache (particularly if you are taking something out of it). Also, what is the permitted length of time you can hold on to a TB before placing it in the next cache?

As a regular hunter of TBs I am not in the habit of logging anything other than my first visit to a cache in the cache log book. Any subsequent visits to retrieve a TB I consider as unnecessarily taking up space in the log book which the owner would have to replace sooner in due course. Also it has to be remembered that whilst a cache is being visited it is potentially being compromised so I go for the quick retrieval without spending extra time writing about it in the log. I've made up to half a dozen visits to the same cache in some cases!

Should someone else be going for the TB at the same time well, that's rare but also unfortunate if they don't get there first! I do feel it necessary to record the visit on the cache page as this is where the day to day activity of the cache can be better listed. I have learnt from experience that it's not wise to sit on a cache printout showing a TB for a few days before going to retrieve. I recommend making a final check that it's still there immediately prior to going for it.

As for how long are you permitted to hold on to the TB well, the simple answer is you're not! The whole idea is to keep the TB moving so it should be dropped at the earliest opportunity. If a TB I retrieve has no specific goal I'll drop it off at the next appropriate cache I visit. If it's goal fits in with something I will being doing in a few days or maybe weeks time then I will consider the benefits of holding on to it a bit longer. You'll soon know if you're hanging on to a TB too long when the owner begins prodding you!

Hope this is of some help.

Rgds Paul

123 TBs and counting!

www.Pyoung1s.co.uk

Sorry Paul but I beg to disagree with you in part as I think it right to leave a brief note in the log book when you have taken a TB (or for that matter left one) so that if the next visitor turns up before you have logged it on the website, he will know who has or had the TB and not just think it has gone missing or appeared from nowhere. I appreciate that some can log on to GC while still in the field but for most of us there is at least a few hours delay.

I agree with John. It seems to me that the logbook should have a record of all visits, whatever their purpose.

As to how long one can keep a TB, there's no limit as such, but I think most cachers would consider two weeks a maximum unless you're going to be able to really help the TB along with a big step in the right direction by keeping it longer. If that's the case, then mention that in your online log.