GARMIN II

Guest nimhoff

Guest nimhoff

I'm new to geo-caching from Australia. SO new that I am looking for a second hand GPS reciever (can't afford a new one) Ther's an ad in the paper today for a Garmin II at a price of A$ 150.00 saaaay US$ 85.00

What is anyone's opinion of this unit ? Is it OK or will I be unhappy with it.

Thanks in advance.

Neville

I have a Garmin III+ and I picked up a cheap Garmin II to be use on my mountain bike and other such GPS hazardous situations so I would not damage my very expensive III+ when I crash into that tree (I know it out to get me icon_smile.gif). I have not been very happy with the II when compared to the III+. Its not the lack of feature that gets you down it is the lack of reception. The II has all the features you will need for geocaching, but the II is an old MT-8 receiver. This means it can talk to eight satellites in series; thus talking to the eight satellites one after another. Where the new 12 channel receivers are able to talk to 12 satellite at the same time. This make them slightly more accurate, and due to newer tech they get much better reception in bad conditions like heavy tree cover and down in canyons and ravines.

I would suggest saving just a little more money and get an eTrex ($110.00US). It has slightly less features then the II but it has the 12 channel receiver in it. It will more than enough GPS for geocaching. But if you are really strapped for cash at the moment then the Garmin II will do and $85US is not bad. They seem to go on eBay for about $100.00. Hope this helps.

Matt

------------------

Matthew C Birch

Case Western Reserve University

Biorobotics Lab

cache_yote@email.com

N41-30.1 W81-35.5

I have a Garmin III+ and I picked up a cheap Garmin II to be use on my mountain bike and other such GPS hazardous situations so I would not damage my very expensive III+ when I crash into that tree (I know it out to get me icon_smile.gif). I have not been very happy with the II when compared to the III+. Its not the lack of feature that gets you down it is the lack of reception. The II has all the features you will need for geocaching, but the II is an old MT-8 receiver. This means it can talk to eight satellites in series; thus talking to the eight satellites one after another. Where the new 12 channel receivers are able to talk to 12 satellite at the same time. This make them slightly more accurate, and due to newer tech they get much better reception in bad conditions like heavy tree cover and down in canyons and ravines.

I would suggest saving just a little more money and get an eTrex ($110.00US). It has slightly less features then the II but it has the 12 channel receiver in it. It will more than enough GPS for geocaching. But if you are really strapped for cash at the moment then the Garmin II will do and $85US is not bad. They seem to go on eBay for about $100.00. Hope this helps.

Matt

------------------

Matthew C Birch

Case Western Reserve University

Biorobotics Lab

cache_yote@email.com

N41-30.1 W81-35.5

Guest MaasNeotek

Well... in Canada....

So far, between the eTrex and the GPS12, the 12 wins hands down. Faster aquisitions, more accurate waypoint marking, averaging, and a connector for PC that can be 'bodged' together in an hour.

All in all, the eTrex is NOT on my 'good' list. icon_frown.gif Good thing I bought both. - Now I can return the cute one.

Guest MaasNeotek

Well... in Canada....

So far, between the eTrex and the GPS12, the 12 wins hands down. Faster aquisitions, more accurate waypoint marking, averaging, and a connector for PC that can be 'bodged' together in an hour.

All in all, the eTrex is NOT on my 'good' list. icon_frown.gif Good thing I bought both. - Now I can return the cute one.