Gumf In Redding Area Caches

Phone guy

I have been to a couple caches that contain gumf. Maybe its just me but a little rubber ball or a neat rock picked up on the way in or a book of matches is gumf in my opinion. The contents that were once good swag is nothing but gumf now. I propose that we clean house and refill the caches we are aware of that contain gumf. I only have two micro's hidden but I would like to add to another cache and clean out the gumf. Post the cache here if you know of one in Far Northern CA.

I agree that there is something to be said for a poorly stocked geocache. I would like to see some of these caches either cleaned up or removed. I have just begun to place caches and I try to fill my cache with nice contents that people will enjoy. If caches are falling into disrepair and the owner no longer wants to maintain them, then they should be archived. Since good hiding spots and great locations are limited, the cache you find should be as special as the place you visit.

After the placer has been e-mailed and no response is given, then one could assume that the cache has been abandoned and that is why it is full of trash. Then I would say clean it up. Also, place a log entry so that the locals know it has been taken care of. Personally, I think we have a responsibility to promote the sport in our community and communication is the best tool.

I usually carry a lot of trade items with me when I'm out caching, and if a cache needs gumf removal, I do so and replace the contents with whatever I'm carrying. No real need to bitch about it. ;) It just happens over time. Think of it similar to CITO. It's just something you do because its a good thing.

--Marky

I usually carry a lot of trade items with me when I'm out caching, and if a cache needs gumf removal, I do so and replace the contents with whatever I'm carrying. No real need to bitch about it. :blink: It just happens over time. Think of it similar to CITO. It's just something you do because its a good thing.

--Marky

I think we're on the same page. Gumf out!

I usually hve some extra items to dress up a cache. Out of respect to the owner I rarely remove items unless they are damaged, say by water, or are grossly inappropriate, such as food.

Don't be afraid to help a cache out, your fellow cachers will come to recognize your efforts.

(Marky @ Jun 16 2004, 10:03 AM)

I usually carry a lot of trade items with me when I'm out caching, and if a cache needs gumf removal, I do so and replace the contents with whatever I'm carrying.  No real need to bitch about it.    It just happens over time.  Think of it similar to CITO.  It's just something you do because its a good thing.

--Marky 

I've seen his Cache-Mobile and must say, Marky and Joani are well stocked for CIGO (That Cache In Gumf Out). I've emptied and restocked several ''Gumf'' pits. I've also replaced cache containers, replaced logbooks, added Geonotes (Do Not Take, Part Of A Game...), left pens, pencils and verified caches. IMHO, it's everyone's job to do all this in order to keep the quality of Geocaching up. Thanks Marky and anyone else that leaves caches ready for the next hunter to enjoy.

This thread did make me ask myself though, ''What about making a Bigger/Better Cache?'' You know, the game where kids start with a pencil and run from door to door asking the resident to trade for something Bigger or Better. Then they take that item to the next willing house and continue trading up. Before long, they can be bringing back large furnature! [This makes a great youth group fund raiser if done on a Friday night before a Saturday parking lot sale.] So back to this cache idea... the volume would be limited to the cache size [unless that gets replaced] but in order to log the find, the hunter would have to take something and leave something Bigger or Better. :D What do you think? :D

Edited by Green Achers
I usually have some extra items to dress up a cache. Out of respect to the owner I rarely remove items unless they are damaged, say by water, or are grossly inappropriate, such as food.

I would never remove items without replacing them with something better, which is clearly a perfectly fine thing to do. I don't think any cache owner would complain if you traded up on more than one item.

--Marky