Found Benchmark That Had Not Found Recovery Note

Cache N

This is the first one I have found that actually had a Mark Not Found note on it in its documented history. I wouldn't have even looked for it had I read the history before I set out.

Hello!!!

Hey, most of this crowd has always maintained the US Power Sqdn does not report things correctly. They make many errors. Glad you found what you did and by all means, report your find to NGS to they can correct their records. In the future, if you see a mark as NOT FOUND by the USPSQD, don't take it seriously. They get points for making these false reports. I just wish NGS would discredit them.

(Now watch the members of USPS jump on me!)

Edit note: Changed USPSQN to USPSQD (Whatever!!!)

Edited by Colorado Papa
What is USPS?

Not the United State Postal Service. Try this:

1/1/1989 by USPSQD (MARK NOT FOUND) RECOVERY NOTE BY US POWER SQUADRON 1989 (KRN) MARK NOT FOUND.

Also discussed back in July 2003 when I was first getting into benchmark hunting after being away from it for over 50 years.

Edit note: Added web link to USPSQD, or whatever it is...

(If I act like I'm down on them, well pardon me, because I AM!!!)

NGS Recovery Form

Edited by Colorado Papa

I'm no benchmark expert... but I find it hard to believe how anyone could miss this one. Granted.. the coordinates were not right on, but the bright yellow witness post 10 feet from the road sorta gave it away. I have no idea how I'd go about reporting this as found, but I bet there is info somewhere in this forum or on this site on how to go about it.

Edited by Cache N
This is the first one I have found that actually had a Mark Not Found note on it in its documented history. I wouldn't have even looked for it had I read the history before I set out.

Hello!!!

Hey, most of this crowd has always maintained the US Power Sqdn does not report things correctly. They make many errors. Glad you found what you did and by all means, report your find to NGS to they can correct their records. In the future, if you see a mark as NOT FOUND by the USPSQD, don't take it seriously. They get points for making these false reports. I just wish NGS would discredit them.

(Now watch the members of USPS jump on me!)

Edit note: Changed USPSQN to USPSQD (Whatever!!!)

I get as aggravated by NOT FOUNDs as everyone else. Often they are posted by the US Power Squadron but I've also seen NOT FOUNDs from other agencies that turned out to be easy to find. There are various reasons why this happens. But, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out some good work by someone at the US Power Squadron. They researched every benchmark in the NGS database in the county where my uncle lives (178 of them!), found it or found the reason why it wasn't there and posted a recovery for every single one. Quite a few were found that had previously been not found. The accuracy of the work gives credence to the not founds that were posted. I don't know if he (she?) extended his/her work into neighboring counties, but for Lee County, Illinois, there is some good, recent information posted with the NGS. It takes some of the fun out of it when I go up there to visit, but it's nice to see such good work.

I have to agree with both the pro and con statements for USPSQD benchmark hunters. For the most part they are accurate, but I have also found marks that were easily visible--one I spotted as I drove by it.

However, they DO have a quota system of some sort, and I guess they essentially get some sort of credit or "boating merit badge" for just looking for, not finding, benchmarks. If the person is responsible he or she will put the proper effort into the hunt and not report a mark as not found if he/she hasn't done everything in his/her power to locate it.

And the Power Squadron has company--I have followed a local Pennsylvania Department of Transportation employee's trail of 'not founds' and located a few of them. Look at the pics in this example, especially the second one.KW0837!

Thanks for the information Black Dog Trackers. After that and reading the pinned note in this forum, I understand how and when to report.

I look as the US Power Squadron site to try to figure them out... and well... their site didn't help me, but I asked around where I worked and some people seemed to have a clue of what they were about. Still confused at how they are involved with Benchmark recovering though.

I have about 20 "Mark not found" entries in my logs. If I feel strongly that it is not there, I indicate that and why. Sometimes I think it is there and that I can't find it and indicate that also. I hope that if anyone ever proves me wrong that they say so and that they provide good co-ordinates for me or others to go find it.

I guess what I am saying is that my word is NOT final and hope that I do not deter others from looking for a mark.

Of course, I am just an Amateur................

Here is a classic case AGAINST the U.S. Power Squadron:

Reference

PF1145

PF1146

PF1147

On the records of PF1145 they indicate that the marks were recovered in GOOD condition in 1988..............

According to me on this date:

PF1146 is in GOOD condition (It is a Tower)..............

PF1147 was not recovered although 3 of us spent an hour mapping, measuring and digging !!!! Area seems that about 30 years of debris is here.......we doubt they found it.

PF1145 is very badly mutilated on the RM No.1 and RM No.2 is out right broken and missing......the main mark was found buried which probably saved it.

Also......if you read all the above logs, you will find these SAME comments going back as far as 1927........so how come the Power Squadron found all the marks in GOOD condition ???????

Here is a classic case AGAINST the U.S. Power Squadron:

No argument here. I agree. They may do good in some areas, but my experience in Colorado and south Texas is very negative. I know, it's individuals who do the reporting, and in general, the organization may do good. It's just like the rest of our society, a few bad apples cause laws to be passed that affect all of us.

I've had similar experiences with a few USPSQDN easily found NOT FOUNDs and improbable FOUNDs, but, overall, their accuracy (at least near the maritime areas of the East Coast) seems to be in excess of 90%. But I've learned not to take their MARK NOT FOUND reports too seriously. However, I've also found a few marks that were NOT FOUND by LOCSUR (local surveyor) and UDE (University of Delaware). I've hunted in the UDE area quite a bit, and I think that their recovery reports are significantly more reliable than those of USPSQDN, though not as reliable as those by CGS/NGS. Even so, the other day I found a 1942 mark that UDE reported as MARK NOT FOUND in 1981. These are the best ones, and I'll report it to NGS with relish.