Clayjar's Alaskaquest 2004

Okay, time to post a note to let everyone on the left side of the country know about the world's first and only 10,000-mile event cache, ClayJar's AlaskaQuest 2004. (I'm not quite sure how one announces this type of one-of-a-kind event, so I guess I'll just wing it... hmm...)

Come one, come all, to the greatest show on earth! (Okay, so that just doesn't quite work... ahem... TAKE TWO! *clack*!)

Have you ever wanted to log a 10,000-mile event cache? Well, look no further, because now, YOU CAN! (Um, that really sounds like an infomercial... TAKE THREE! *clack*!)

In a world where travel bugs languish in dark stillness all over the land, one cache has what it takes to bring them to a whole new level... that cache... is... ClayJar's AlaskaQuest 2004! (Well, it's not like I said, "This cache has been rated 5/1 by the geocache rating association of america; parental guidance is suggested," or anything like that. Okay, okay, TAKE FOUR! *clack*!)

2 Canadian provinces: $.79 a minute.

14 American States: $25 an oil change.

10,000 driving miles: $1000 in gas.

Logging a find on ClayJar's AlaskaQuest 2004: Priceless.

(Hey, that one's not *that* bad, now, is it? Well, okay, last try. TAKE FIVE! *clack*!)

ClayJar's AlaskaQuest 2004 will be leaving Baton Rouge on June 17, 2004. From there the event will proceed to the Los Angeles area; up through the Seattle area; past Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle; back through Seattle, Helena, Denver, Oklahoma City, and Dallas; and finally back to Baton Rouge. If you are (or can be) along the route, you can now register a rest stop waypoint (if you wish to do so) for the 10,000-mile event cache. Details about how to register a waypoint (for your convenience) and where to find tracking information during the event (for those who would like the challenge of tracking the cache down without convenience) are available on the cache page.

If you know any cachers in your area (or if you have any local groups, associations, or whatevers), please pass the information about the cache along to them. Since the home waypoint for the event cache page is in Louisiana, it would be easy for people to miss the listing (and this may be the only 10,000-mile event cache ever, so you wouldn't want them to miss it because *you* forgot to tell them, now, would you? :rolleyes:).

(Oh, and for any of you who happen to read Slashdot enough to know all the annoying running quips... "In Soviet Russia, the event cache finds *you*!")

Thank you for your time, and I hope I made this post entertaining and informative enough not to cause undue stress while I did the required announcement. (But if you *are* offended, register a waypoint and tell me in person. :lol:)

There will be several radios present -- two FRS and two GMRS, so the regular channels (FRS#2 and what else?) will be live and the others can be scanning. My cell phone will also be along, but I'm obviously not going to post that in public (although most of the regulars in the chat should have it already).

I'm working on the logistics of getting at least some magnetic door (and hood?) signage to help in identification (possibly also some text on the back, maybe including a phone number, even), and the cache container itself should be ready for painting tonight. The raw, unfinished, not yet fully assembled version is in these poor quality quick pics:

Cache1.jpg

Cache2.jpg

Well, if you find yourself on I-40 just west of Oklahoma City, you can crash in my back yard (n35 33 W98 34). I travelled from Denver to Oklahoma many times in the early 90's and I would be happy to share the one or two interesting places along the way.

For instance, Pat's Beef Jerky in Liebenthal, KS. About 20 miles south of Hays, KS, which is right on I-70. Best beef jerky in the world and worth a 20 mile trip off the interstate to get to. In fact, I think I need some right now... www.patsbeefjerky.com

-E

When will you be passing through Houston???

We would be happy to post a mini-event rest stop for you along the way. (Plus I reeeeeally wanna log that cache.)

I'm going to post a link on Texasgeocaching.com

Sn :rolleyes::lol: gans

Edited by Snoogans

We would be happy to post a mini-event rest stop for you along the way. (Plus I reeeeeally wanna log that cache.)

Sn :lol:  :) gans

Yes Snoogans, this will be a must do!!!!!!!!!!!!! We might have to lower our standards though and go up to NTX country :rolleyes: LOL

Yes Snoogans, this will be a must do!!!!!!!!!!!!! We might have to lower our standards though and go up to NTX country :rolleyes: LOL

If they are going to L.A. first, they should be coming through Houston on I-10. Dont'cha think?

If they are going to L.A. first, they should be coming through Houston on I-10. Dont'cha think?

I-10 to Lafeyete, I-49 up to Shreeveport, then I-20 across picking I-10 up again between Fort Stockton and Van Horn. But yes, I-10 all the way is more direct on the route out.

It's I-10 from Baton Rouge all the way to the Los Angeles area, so, yes, the event will be going straight through Houston on the way west. It won't hit Dallas until the way back. (The route's on the cache page, of course.)

I'll have to see when things will get rolling, but around Houston should work for an evening waypoint. If things get rolling at 5pm CDT, that would put Houston around 9-10pm, but it might be that things can get rolling a few hours earlier. I need to talk my way out of a conference that will do me no good to attend. If I can, that'll make it more like something around 6-7pm. Either way, Houston is right on the path.

"Too bad you're not swinging east into Alberta (that would make two provinces and a territory in Canada) on the way back so I could meet up with you."

Whereabouts in Alberta? I have to hit Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming on the way back south to claim 49 states and DC by solo driving, but it might be theoretically possible to reroute the southgoing side to hit the US at I-15 south in Montana (north of Helena) down to Salt Lake City and then over on I-80 to Cheyenne before reconnecting down to Denver and continuing. You know, I think that might be a reasonable reroute... I'll have to run some research.

As far as I-40 about 60 miles west of OKC, OK... I don't think I'll be getting that far off track, but the route isn't in stone yet (as there still is that little bit about getting to as many cachers as possible).

If you are going from Denver to OKC, there's a nice route that goes Denver (I-25)->Pueblo->Raton, NM (US87)->Clayton, NM->Dalhart, TX->Amarillo, TX (I-40)->OKC. Takes you past Capulin Mountain in NM, which is quite a sight, as well as the Cadillac Graveyard and The Big Texan.

An alternate route that I used for years was Denver (I-70)->Hay, KS (US183)->Clinton, OK (I-40). This route takes you past the aforementioned Pat's Beef Jerky.

The first route is definitely more scenic, but there are fewer services. How can you pass up the opportunity to eat a 72 oz. steak?

-E

Well, as there was really no sense driving a driven road, I've slightly revised the route and map to take the event through Calgary and Salt Lake City on the way back down. That'll give me a little more variety from what will have been driven already, and it gives a better Canadian exposure to the event cache. (We shall see whether it will mean I come near the winner or runner-up for the Stanley Cup, but Tampa Bay will, unfortunately, not be included on this primary event.)

I have to hit Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming on the way back south to claim 49 states and DC by solo driving

Lifetime, right? Because you're not coming anywhere close to the eastern seaboard on this route.

BTW, you can ship your car to Hawaii for about $950 from Oakland (one way)...if you wanted all 50, that is.

Looks like you are going up I-5 from L.A. Northbound.

We live right on I-5 in Orland, CA., and can round up our local geocaching club (N.U.T.S) to meet us with you.

Sound like a plan? Just let me know what date you will be in the area. Gas/food/lodging available.

Ed (of Ed & Julie)

10,000 miles equals 500 Gallons of GAS at 20mpg, or at 50mpg you use 200 Gallons of GAS. Easily spend a $1000 on GAS.

The average gas mileage over the life of my vehicle has been right around 26mpg. That puts it roughly at 400 gallons (likely a low estimate), which would be $1000 at $2.50/gallon average price. Since a significant number of miles will be in places with high gas prices (and the Canadian portion will not likely be the least expensive), it could easily go over that. (Hehe... now if only I could get Shell to sponsor the trip. Oh, wait, maybe I should go with someone else, recent events and all.)

10,000 miles equals 500 Gallons of GAS at 20mpg, or at 50mpg you use 200 Gallons of GAS. Easily spend a $1000 on GAS.

The average gas mileage over the life of my vehicle has been right around 26mpg. That puts it roughly at 400 gallons (likely a low estimate), which would be $1000 at $2.50/gallon average price. Since a significant number of miles will be in places with high gas prices (and the Canadian portion will not likely be the least expensive), it could easily go over that. (Hehe... now if only I could get Shell to sponsor the trip. Oh, wait, maybe I should go with someone else, recent events and all.)

It you want some time off from driving, the State of Alaska runs a Ferry Service that runs from Bellingham Washington to Alaska. I do not know if it goes where you would need to since I have never taken it. It may or may not be cheaper than paying Canadian prices for Gas for that long portion of the trip North.

EverWett, WaRshington.

We used to have an EverWett, WaRshington address. Lived on Hewitt Ave east of Highway 9.

We will be frequenting ClayJar's AlaskaQuest 2004 tracking page to check your progress. One of your stops (Dunnigan, CA) is where we used to have two caches. Hope to see you there.

But... we are heading north on I-5 June 24th to the Portland Cache Machine event of June 26 & 27. That would be later than you might expect for you to be driving between Sacramento and Seattle but I'm sure your progress will be slowed somewhat because this will be a VERY POPULAR cache.

I would hope that when people register reststops that they choose ones that have geocaches so CJ can log some finds along the way.

Several of the stops have (or even *are*) caches... which basically means when I get back, I'll be logging bugs in and out of caches for *days*! (You didn't think I could just do something like this and not get a few bugs some fun out of it, eh?)

As for taking the ferry... well, the original purpose of this summer's trip was to set foot on my 49th visited state (plus I've been to DC). It didn't take long for it to turn into "Whoa, I can drive the Alaska Highway (originally called the "ALCAN")!" Of course, now that I'm taking the west approach northbound and dropping through Calgary southbound, a ferry would just seem... well... less adventuresome. :D

Might see you as/if you come through Amarillo Tx, One of the oldest cache sites is located nearbye===> 14 Jan '01 Lighthouse by Eoghan. If you have good hiking boots can find it right proper. ;) Or if hiking isn't in the realm of possibilities, "big black marble" is a right nice place to congregate...bet some of the cachers south of us perhaps, Plaidbeard's Crew and/or charizard would like to get in on this?

The amish postman

Might see you as/if you come through Amarillo Tx

Amarillo, TX, is right in the middle of a dead zone this time. As the cache page and map shows, on the northbound side, it's I-10 (so not much closer to Amarillo than El Paso is). On the southbound side, Denver and Oklahoma City are two points on the route, and Kansas is most of the road in between, so it'll be a fairly erratic orbit of Amarillo, but never very close.

I see you're planning on stopping through Helena. It would be great to see you modify the route a little bit and come across Montana to Billings.

If Idaho could be left off, it would be easy to redraw the route, but Idaho must be included, as it was left out of last year's drive. As a crow would have about 200 miles to fly each way, I don't think I can justify making a diversion to Billings. (If I knew the Alaskan/Canadian portion of the event would be astoundingly blazingly fast, I might jog that way, but I somehow doubt US Interstate speeds will be involved for those thousands of miles.)

In other news, the Canadian and Alaskan portions of the route have now been added, in detail, to the cache page. Any Canadians who were waiting to see precisely where it ends up can go look now. :lol:

As for Albuquerque... you're *only* 222 MapQuest miles from Las Cruces. That's, what, only 3-3.5 hours away or something like that? Not even a mere 5% of the event cache away! (If it were the way back, I'd have to consider it strongly, but as it's the way up, and I have no idea what I'll find in Canada and beyond, I just can't make such a large detour so early.)

When I explain geocacing to some of my friends, they think I'm a little odd. If I actually told them I wanted to drive 287 miles one way to meet a stranger in OKC and sign a notebook in an ammo box attached to his car... well they'd have me institutionalized.... that said.... what day do you think you'll be in OKC?

When I explain geocacing to some of my friends, they think I'm a little odd. If I actually told them I wanted to drive 287 miles one way to meet a stranger in OKC and sign a notebook in an ammo box attached to his car... well they'd have me institutionalized.... that said.... what day do you think you'll be in OKC?

Without knowing at all what I'll encounter north of the border, I really don't have much of an idea... by the time I get to to top of Montana, on the other hand, I should know fairly well what I'm going to do on the way to OKC. Theoretically, it could be as much as three days or as few as two from the Canadian border to OKC. Once the US border has been reached, cell coverage will return (and I've got plenty of rollover), so it'll be easier to get details back and forth.

If only an Interstate existed from Kansas City to Springfield, I just might be tempted to make yet another extension, but alas, there is none.

Oh, and incidentally, the west-side northern route into Canada has been altered slightly to go through Vancouver and take the more picturesque highway to Cache Creek. (Plus, that means the event will pass by Garibaldi, and that's two points for any B5 fan.)

QUOTE (Team Sagefox @ Jun 2 2004, 05:15 PM)

I would hope that when people register reststops that they choose ones that have geocaches so CJ can log some finds along the way. 

Several of the stops have (or even *are*) caches... which basically means when I get back, I'll be logging bugs in and out of caches for *days*! (You didn't think I could just do something like this and not get a few bugs some fun out of it, eh?)

Just placed one yesterday for ya to find when you make your stop here. Its a micro so wont be any room for a Bug, but its still there to claim as a find!

I10 T Stop

Hard to tell from your map but if you're doing Jasper and Banff via the IceFields Parkway (Hwy 93) I might be able to meet up with the Alaskaquest depending on the timing. :back:

If the route is indeed coming down (93) then you will pass quite near our cache parking point which would be just a ways east on (11). Of course there is a little matter of a hike to the cache and back.

There is a truck stop/gas station at that junction. (of 93 and 11)

If the route is indeed coming down (93) then you will pass quite near our cache parking point which would be just a ways east on (11). Of course there is a little matter of a hike to the cache and back.

Edmonton to AB-2 south through Calgary (sorry, guys) and on to AB-3 and AB-4 to meet up with I-15S at the Montana line, so I'll miss AB-93 completely, it seems.

Edmonton to AB-2 south through Calgary (sorry, guys) and on to AB-3 and AB-4 to meet up with I-15S at the Montana line, so I'll miss AB-93 completely, it seems.

Well that's even better. There's a pullout that is on (2) west side of Red Deer, you can pop into the Alberta Sports hall of fame right there, and there are two caches within walking distance. It will also mean about 250km (one way) less for me to log Clayjars cache. I could even gather a few RedDeer cachers I'm sure for a roadside cache event.

ClayJar - I don't know your route from the north - I presume from Dawson Creek (end of Alaska Highway) down through Beaver Lodge, Grand Prarie, and east (16) to Edmonton. The (93) route is much more scenic, and if you want to hit (2) north of Calgary you could take (11) from (93) to (2) - very nice drive as well. I've done Edmonton-AB to Whitehorse-YT many times if you'd like to e-mail me with some questions, I'd be happy to share of course.

Edited by Dino Hunters
ClayJar - I don't know your route from the north - I presume from Dawson Creek (end of Alaska Highway) down through Beaver Lodge, Grand Prarie, and east (16) to Edmonton. The (93) route is much more scenic, and if you want to hit (2) north of Calgary you could take (11) from (93) to (2) - very nice drive as well. I've done Edmonton-AB to Whitehorse-YT many times if you'd like to e-mail me with some questions, I'd be happy to share of course.
I have a route from Dawson Creek to Grand Prairie then continuing along (43) through Whitecourt and almost all the way to Edmonton before joining up with (16). My maps and information don't cover (93) -- it's off the edge of them -- so if I did that, I'd be routing blind.
Well that's even better. There's a pullout that is on (2) west side of Red Deer, you can pop into the Alberta Sports hall of fame right there, and there are two caches within walking distance. It will also mean about 250km (one way) less for me to log Clayjars cache. I could even gather a few RedDeer cachers I'm sure for a roadside cache event.
Red Deer should be great for a meetup. My current route puts that, what, about halfway between Edmonton and Calgary (about 90 miles or 150 km from each, and only 300 miles from the border)?

:back: Gee, wouldn't it be cool if a bunch of cachers gathered in LA to see him arrive home? Banners, flowers, balloons, confetti . . . .

[edited to clarify: LA = Louisiana, not Los Angeles or Lower Alabama . . ]

Edited by Rebel
I have a route from Dawson Creek to Grand Prairie then continuing along (43) through Whitecourt and almost all the way to Edmonton before joining up with (16). My maps and information don't cover (93) -- it's off the edge of them -- so if I did that, I'd be routing blind.

You would have to head south of Grand Prairie on (40) which would take you to Hinton. (I have not driven this road, so cannot speak about it) From Hinton you'd go SW on (16) to Jasper. (93) goes SE from Jasper to Banff. About halfway there is a T junction with (11) that goes East to Rocky Moutain House, and then straight East to Red Deer.

(43) to Edmonton is a shorter faster drive and will take you through more areas where there are caches and cachers. The other route will take longer, but be more scenic. If you come down (2) from Edmonton (as you are planning) you could stretch your legs and hit our cache in Lacombe.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...63-6ff3de49dcae

The nearest to the turnout I mentioned above are....

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3a-909bdff76ddf

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bf-814ee9b872d1

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...83-ad61bbbc5a98