Africa Loop Series...

avroair

Hey fellow cachers,

Just wanted to tell people about my Africa Loop Series of caches located in Harriman State Park. There are six caches in the series: The Nile, Sahara, Congo, Zulu, Serengeti, and Timbuktu. (Shelters of Harriman: Tom Jones by brian b GCHQRG is also within the loop).

Do all 6 as a loop and spend a nice morning or afternoon of hiking in a variety of terrains and some lovely vistas. The hike should take about 2-3 hours with both varied terrain, scenery and elevations featured. Total hike distance is 4.1 miles with opportunites to bag other caches in the area.

I dunno, if you ask me, it looks more like South America.

I agree, but that is what 'they' named it. I guess you can add some more trail on the lower left and circle round further to make it look more like Africa!!!

The stages would then be called: Amazon, Incas, Andes, Patagonia, Samba and Tango. :rolleyes:

avroair,

Great job on this series. This will be on our agenda for this month. It's getting harder & harder to motivate the kids for a day of caching because there is usally too much driving involved. We all really enjoyed the Hudson Highlands Jaunt as well as Brian's Hiker Series caches and his Turkey Trot cache (Hiker version).

Ok, so when is the group hunt?! :D

avroair,

Great job on this series.  This will be on our agenda for this month.  It's getting harder & harder to motivate the kids for a day of caching because there is usally too much driving involved.  We all really enjoyed the Hudson Highlands Jaunt as well as Brian's Hiker Series caches and his Turkey Trot cache (Hiker version).

Ok, so when is the group hunt?! :D

Were in!!! :D

I may hit the loop Saturday

I will be canoeing to Goose Island cache (I hope!).

FYI: Harrald did the whole loop and logged it today.

I brought along some safety kit items (bandaids, sterile pads, snake bite kits etc) but totally forgot to add them to the caches as I placed them. If anyone has extras of any of these can you help me out and place them in the caches as you do them :D

Great series of caches!

Forget the 2-3 hours. Even using the hints at a few of these it took me 4 hours. Granted I took the long route back to my car (I wanted to wander through the camp site). Some of these caches are pretty well hidden. I hid them exactly as I found them. avroair has found a great loop hike. I will go so far as to liken him to Briansnat in his forethought for cache hiding.

Kudos to a master hider! :D

hope these are not to be included in that day's caching.

I hope to place a couple more Pirate themed ones in the area... if anyone else wants to place some nearby, so I can grab them too, be my guest! :D

See ya on the trails, I will be in Harriman on Saturday afternoon... maybe.

StayFloopy my boy!!! Got his a** in gear to complete the series! He has also provided detailed pictures of each cache site!

GeoKender also visited all 6 + the Tom Jones bonus!

geobernd did the 6 too...

Congrats to all three of you :unsure: Great job slogging in the rain!

Met up with Quoddy (planned) and Rattlhead (unplanned) and we tackled the Africa series today. We followed just behind brian b (though we might have caught a glimpse of him near #1) and we hit up his Shelters cache while we were there.

It was tremendous and for those interested I've already posted my logs, some pics, and the track from the loop. For anyone considering a nice 5.1 or so mile hike, it's a tremendous route to take. Even overcast as it was today, the hike is a very pretty with some nice views, especially at #5.

Now... I'm currently at find #198, so if I find one more before Weds night, the Night Sweats 2 event will be #200 for me (and my team but only dad will show up for the event). Maybe I'll hit Serg's Hamilton House on the way to the event.

Avroair - thanks for a tremendous morning of caching.

David

Very briansnat-esque!

I hope it is, since I bought the ammo cans from him and he did them up all pretty like :)

But when I plan my next loop series I am gonna bring a buddy so I can share in the ammo can lugging... Tom Jones Mtn was a real pain in the backside carrying 5 ammo cans, 3 32oz bottles of water and a decon box... :P

all I forgot was a partridge in a pear tree. :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone who completed them! I was thinking of running up and grabbing the t-bugs, but then I remember how far I would have to hike to reach them.... ah forget it! Let the next sucker grab them :D

I hope it is, since I bought the ammo cans from him and he did them up all pretty like 

Heh heh heh, and I made a killing! $25 each and I only paid $3.

But when I plan my next loop series I am gonna bring a buddy so I can share in the ammo can lugging... Tom Jones Mtn was a real pain in the backside carrying 5 ammo cans, 3 32oz bottles of water and a decon box... 

What kind of pack were you carrying where you could fit 5 ammo boxes? :rolleyes: That's why I placed my Hiker Series caches in 8 installments. A lot more walking, but I wasn't about to pull out my full (expedition sizeed) backpack and wander around RMSF. I would have gotten some strange looks from people.

Edited by briansnat
What kind of pack were you carrying

Just a regular backpack. I could fit 4 in it. Why do you think the Nile is so close to the parking coordinates!!! :P Actually, I brought my wife with me, but it hurt her back. So I had to lug them :rolleyes: Not that I am complaining since she only weighs 92 lbs. :)

I just put in an order of Africa Loop buttons. If anyone is trying the Africa Loop series in the next two weeks and can place them in Timbuktu for me, LMK  :D

How can we, who already completed the loop, get these buttons? :o

Personally, I would like one. :blink:

But without doing the entire loop all over again. :huh:

How can we, who already completed the loop, get these buttons?

Personally, I would like one.

But without doing the entire loop all over again.

I think Avro said he will give those who already completed the loop a button if they wash his car.

Edited by briansnat

I just did this series today and I have to say it was awesome. Thanks Avroair. I'm sorry I didn't see the note in here about the buttons or I'd have contacted you first and stashed them in the cache. Anyway, great job on setting this up... now I think I'm ready to give Brians hiker series a shot. :huh:

Buttons are still on the way. (Basically, I have to pay for them so they get shipped). I know who did the loop so I can send you a button or put them at some special coordinates in the woods and you can pick one up... and then lock yourself out of your car, :huh:

Just kidding, I will let you know when they arrive and are available.