Waas

I hear some people swear that WAAS is fantastic, that it makes their GPSr more accurate. Tried it both ways on 2 different Garmins and i honestly cant make out a whole lot of difference. I leave WAAS off on mine, mainly because i know it uses more juice! :D

If you aren't far enough south (or north if you're in the southern hemisphere), then WAAS doesn't work that well because you don't have a good enough signal. And from what I understand, if the WAAS signal is off, it can actually make results even more inaccurate than they would be otherwise.

Pretend I lived on the east coast and I had a great reference point in my yard and I told you my extremly accurate GPS was reading 6 feet off to the north because of the local reception.

Now if you lived in the same city as me, you might adjust your readings. If I spent enough money on this setup you might adjust your readings if you were in the same state even.

If you were in a different time zone, would you bother adjusting your GPS based on what my GPS was doing no matter how much I spent on this device?

That's why I turned off WAAS.

Pretend I lived on the east coast and I had a great reference point in my yard and I told you my extremly accurate GPS was reading 6 feet off to the north because of the local reception.

Now if you lived in the same city as me, you might adjust your readings. If I spent enough money on this setup you might adjust your readings if you were in the same state even.

If you were in a different time zone, would you bother adjusting your GPS based on what my GPS was doing no matter how much I spent on this device?

That's why I turned off WAAS.

Since most of us live near one of the WAAS ground stations (shown below), WAAS is still a viable option.

waas-coverage-dale.gif

Since most of us live near one of the WAAS ground stations (shown below), WAAS is still a viable option.

Precisely.

But even if you're not near a WAAS station or can't pick up a WAAS bird, your GPS knows this and discards the additional data. So what's the point in explictly disabling it unless your vendor has provided a defective WAAS implementation?

Precisely.

But even if you're not near a WAAS station or can't pick up a WAAS bird, your GPS knows this and discards the additional data. So what's the point in explictly disabling it unless your vendor has provided a defective WAAS implementation?

I'm not sure the Sport Track "Speeds Up" if you disable it in the same way a Garmin GPS V will slow down a little when you enable it.

The way I understand it, WAAS groundstations are used to correct and account for the disruptions on the satalite signals created in the ionosphere. So I think that if either you do not have a line of sight or your signals are not being disturbed WAAS wont do very much. Using WAAS on my Garmin has seriuosly cut the power, but i have also seen great accuracy with it on. The best places that WAAS usually works is on a large flat area that has very few obstruction.

In the truck with the amplified patch antenna,

On: 7' EPE

Off: 18' EPE

You figure it out.

In the woods,

On: 10-35' EPE

Off: 10-35' EPE

I think that battery consumption myth is just that, myth. As for refresh, I've never noticed any difference. I suppose if I wanted, I could see whatever I wanted to, faster or slower, if I looked hard enough.