Any One Else Feel This Way

5¢

I went to a cache today and found it was right next a baseball field where kids have games and today they were having practice. It was right next to the field litterally 20 feet from the chain link fence. I ask why place it here and not in any other area in the how ever many acres this park is. Why make the cacher feel like he could be percieved as a nutcase when there are so many areas this could be placed in the city park that are a little more inconspicuous?

That's part of the challange of the cache.

Can you sneak in and get it without getting caught.

Just ups the "D" level a touch.

Heck, we have done a cache in a water fountain in front of a bank 20 feet from the main doors.

Your guys had baseball bats. Ours had guns. Wanna trade?

So went went in right at daylight on a Sunday morning. You just have to out think the cache hider is all.

logscaler.

My question is why do people stick these caches here there are so many other places they could be?  this isnt the first and probably not the last.

I agree - that is why I don't go in for urban caches for the most part.

how is a cache near a softball field in a park an urban cache? :D

I've grabbed a few right next to fields during pracices and games and in the middle of the night...

I figure it is toughest to grab 'em during practices as the kids are more easily distracted by your activities and likey to notice. I grabbed one during a game right next to the centerfield fence and no one noticed me. I acted like I was taking a picture with my GPS and fumbling with my "camera bag"

As I' ve said before: If you look like you know what you're doing and NOT trying to skulk around, most people won't even notice you.

My question is why do people stick these caches here there are so many other places they could be? this isnt the first and probably not the last.

It probably went something like this:

The owner had a boy or girl on a team, went to watch the game, got bored, went behind the fence for a more interesting endeavour such as watching the grass grow, and thought to himself "self: this would be a neat place for a cache".

Then for about an hour or so he argued with himself along these lines: "self: no one would want a cache here; anyone looking for it would look like a nutcase". "No, no, Self: it might be just the ticket for those poor unfortunate dads that have to watch these games and pretend they care".

Then, in spite of obviously LOSING the argument, he decided to place the cache.

So, just pretend you went to watch the ballgame, got bored, and went behind the backstop to find something more interesting to do, like watching the grass grow.

The big question is: Why does it make you feel like a "nutcase"?

I have to agree with you krn187, I don't understand the reasoning why some caches are in places like you describe. A couple months ago my son and I found a cache under the bottom step of the steps up to a slide in a kids park. I felt so uncomfortable doing this, but I was with my 6 year old so it definately did not look suspicious.

Another time we had to find a cache in a city park that was under the scoreboard which was situated at the outfield of a baseball diamond...this time we weren't as lucky as a baseball game was going on and a football team was practicing 30 feet from the cache, so unfortunately we did a quick walk by, but had to abandon our search for another day, which did not sit well with me, but luckily it was close enough to home.

As to why people place caches like this, like others said, you don't have to do them, but I do wonder as to the reasoning...just to be difficult I guess, but I don't think most people enjoy these. As for me, I'll still do them, but I don't usually enjoy them. Give me a cache hunt by a beautiful waterfall anyday over a city cache.

Think that's bad, I've found one that was a magnetic cache stuck TO the bottom railing of the chain-link backstop at the ball field, and another that was hidden INSIDE one of those "animals on a spring" kiddie 'swings'..........

talk about looking out of place, fortunately, both parks were empty at the time I was searching, or I'd have walked off and logged the DNF when I realized where the caches were........

these kinds of caches raise the difficulty level and for some, are exciting to find. if they're not your cup of tea, no need to search for them. just like a cache 12 miles from the nearest road, there's something for everybody.

:rolleyes:

What he said! I agree that these types of caches are not for everybody... I like the challenge. I did a micro that was an Altoids tin "magneted" to the bottom of a newspaper box on Broadway Pier in San Diego.. try and get that one out to sign the log without 10,000 muggles seeing what you are doing.

Let's face it... different folks like different 'cache types, and if this isn't for you, well...

Let's face it... different folks like different 'cache types, and if this isn't for you, well...

I think that is the key myself. If you don't think that type of cache is for you then you can skip it and move on. I have one that I did where I intentionally put the cacher right in the middle of the crowd to find the clues. At a couple of points you will have to weed through moms and dads as they watch their kids play if you want the clues. If you want, you can go on off-peak hours and have the place almost to yourself. My intention was to make cachers feel uncomfortable. If you don't like that then there are plenty of other caches to find. If you read the logs you will see that the people that have done it have loved it.

Here We Are Now Going To The Northside

It is one of my more challenging caches. The final cache box is about 30 feet from the fields. It is not your usual hide and stumps some people. The next to last log is in fact a DNF.

Different strokes for different folks.

It takes a bit of practice but feelings of unease when you geocache while other people are around can be overcome. I've been able to do that sometimes and practically plucked caches out from under the noses of muggles without their realizing what was going on. At other times, I started to explain geocaching until the muggles got bored and left. :rolleyes:

I've got one that if you're not careful, you might get punched in the nose by somebody's mom!

One of my all time favorite caches is in a kiddie park. Just try to do that one with all those inquisitive eyes on you!

I can understand that some caches might be frustrating because they put you in an environment where you might be observed, but that's part of the game. To make things easier, go late at night or very early in the morning. We love night caching.

just go about your business, and don't worry about what people think. that is their stress, don't make it yours, unless of course, you don't have enough stress in your life? In which case, let me be the first to make a donation! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't think you were nuts, even before I cached. I might watch you, but then I am a real weirdo. a lot of people won't look at strangers much.

Why make the cacher feel like  he could be percieved as a nutcase when there are so many areas this could be placed in the city park that are a little more inconspicuous?

People hide caches in highly conspicuous locations because they derive some sort of perverse pleasure from causing people to feel uncomfortable and to appear suspicious. But don't you DARE do anything that might compromise their cache! THAT would be "wrong."

Edited by Bassoon Pilot
Think that's bad, I've found one that was a magnetic cache stuck TO the bottom railing of the chain-link backstop at the ball field, and another that was hidden INSIDE one of those "animals on a spring" kiddie 'swings'..........

Actually, IV likes to ride the kiddie weeble wobbles, he's just using caching to hide his "animals on a spring" passion.

talk about looking out of place, fortunately, both parks were empty at the time I was searching, or I'd have walked off and logged the DNF when I realized where the caches were........

hehehe. My companions and I actually retrieved one like this when the park was full. I won't give away our master plan, because the details would reveal too much about the cache location, but I will say that it involved a feigned injury and the careful use of a hooded sweatshirt. :rolleyes:

hehehe. My companions and I actually retrieved one like this when the park was full. I won't give away our master plan, because the details would reveal too much about the cache location, but I will say that it involved a feigned injury and the careful use of a hooded sweatshirt. :lol:

We had to find one that was velcroed to a seesaw. Just walked up, hopped on, rode it for a few minutes, grabbed the cache, walked off. As long as you act like you belong there, people will seem to believe you belong there. :rolleyes:

I went to a cache today and found it was right next a baseball field where kids have games and today they were having practice. It was right next to the field litterally 20 feet from the chain link fence. I ask why place it here and not in any other area in the how ever many acres this park is. Why make the cacher feel like he could be percieved as a nutcase when there are so many areas this could be placed in the city park that are a little more inconspicuous?

If this were an issue to some, the other logical question is why would someone drive over 15 miles down a OHV road into one of the few forests around that part of the desert then hide a micro cache that contains nothing but a log sheet because the container is so tiny they could not even shove a pencil lead into it. Add to this the hide is about as well as the most difficult urban caches you will find.

My children actually like urban micros as do I, but I see no logic to hiding a urban micro type cache in the middle of a forest that you had to spend almost 2 hours of driving to get to. Search for over an hour then leave without a cache..

Do I feel that I should condemn the cache owner? Nope because it is there cache, I am the one who started the search. Some people enjoy the challenge others dont find it as enjoyable.. Do the caches you want to do.

Unless this was a puzzle cache that you could not see on the map, you knew the general area before you started the search. Even then once you solved the puzzle, you could look at the area and decide if you want to do it or not. I have a cache I would love to find, but in 100+ degree weather, I have decided to let it sit until next winder because I do not enjoy a 13mile hike in this heat. Is it a bad location? Only during this time of year. Was the baseball field a bad location? I would say not unless you dont want to be there.

I tried to see what cache it was just for interest factor but your posts says you got 'today' May 31st yet you had no logged finds for that day. I did see the one near the ball park but it appeared more at a persons house via sat photos.. Does the cache page your refering to mention it is near a ballpark?

Would placing it at the base of a lightpost in front of the library entrance be a better place for the cache?

Not trying to be argument boy, but I am sure almost every cacher could find issues with at least one cache or cache type, thus no caches would ever be allowed if everyone had to agree on the location. If you dont like the location, move on :rolleyes: I notice over 100 caches within 23 miles of your last find. I am sure there are alot that would be much more to your interest..

Hunt for the good ones, the others will be muggled in time.

Sam Lowery wrote:

that is why I don't go in for urban caches for the most part.

I am kind of with Sam on this one. Not that I haven't enjoyed my share of urban caches, but I always end up feeling like I do when my girlfriend sends me into town to run errands. I'm here, I'm there, I'll get this while I'm on the way to get that.

Robert wrote:

just like a cache 12 miles from the nearest road, there's something for everybody.

Heehee, now that's a great point too!! As Renegade Knight...And Mtn_mn....And Emmanuel Lewis all say, "Different Strokes for Different Folks."

It makes you wonder why pirates bothered to bury their treasure on deserted islands and make mysterious maps to lead them back to it. Just put it in some tupperware, shove it into a stump and put a little moss over it. Nobody would find it.

Caches in busy areas just emphasize the fact that people are oblivious to what could be right there. It was a real shock to me when I began geocaching and realized that I had walked by a dozen geocaches many, many times in the past year and never had a clue. I really felt left out then, and I'm so glad I'm a cacher now!

A few weeks back I went after a series of what turned out to be ballpark caches about an hour away . I got to the first three so early that there was no one there except for a few folks walking laps in the park. By the time I got to the fourth one practice had started and I did feel a bit uncomfortable poking about in the dugout of a small town ballfield where it seemed everyone knew each other :lol: . So I just packed it in and went on to some other caches. If it is still there the next time I'm in that part of the state I know to go earlier if I want to find it. :rolleyes:

I had 2 caches last week involving newspaper stands right in front of resturants, they were not breakfast resturants. So at 6:13 am and 6:38am no problem. But from about 11am on almost impossible. Sunday mornings between 5:30 am and 10 am are great hours for caching in the parks. Also not much traffic at that time of the morning.

Just plan your caching accordingly. :)

Actually, IV likes to ride the kiddie weeble wobbles, he's just using caching to hide his "animals on a spring" passion.

Gee, thanks......you had to go telling everyone didn't you? I thought you were gonna keep that a secret........

:) :) :)

:) After giving this one some thought, I can't help but wonder if it might be hidden by a person that has a kid on the team! I think that might be really neat.... you watch the game and get to watch people try and find your cache at the same time! I'll bet "cache watching" could be as much fun as the game! :)

Yeah, what THEY ALL said.

I'm split. First, the topic starter and the ballfield. Many of the replies were along the lines, " wait and come back at a more convenient time." Well... What if you drove many a mile to grab these caches and it didn't look like you'd be back in a long, long time-or ever? It's easy to say "log a dnf" or "don't do it if it's not your bag". Isn't that our bag? To find a cache? I've encountered these types and the whole time in hopes that the cache would not be compromised. That has to be the worst feeling, wishing like hell you aren't the last to find a cache due to muggles and the so called-OOH! It's your fault for a non-stealthy approach.

We've found ways around that, but it kinda runs the stress level up a bit.

How about the caches in a vacant lot or cemetary where every neighbor in a 100 yard radius are sitting on the porch swings or barbequing enjoying their 30 pack of Bud Light? The replies are eminent: "Ah, they knew what you were doing the whole time! They'll not bother it." Aparrently not. MUGGLED!

And the ones partially mentioned where you wandered into BFE through a 5/5 (or it seems), many light years away from civilization to find that ever elusive micro. Micro? Huh? I have no problem with micros whatsoever, but it seems that a 20x20 metal building would have been the right size container for the job. Yeah, I do read the cache page first and did expect a micro for thoses instances.

But why the discrepancy with the manner of cache placements? Not a big deal to me. Anymore.

The world may never know.

sounds familiar. :)