I'm Getting Frustrated

Hi Gang!

Alright, so obviously I haven't been caching very long. In fact, we just got our new Garmin Legend a few weeks ago and we're still learning it. My husband isn't quite as interested as I am in caching...he loves looking for multis or traditionals, but the idea of a micro doesn't really tickle his fancy. And right now, we can't get to a lot of the bigger caches in our area because I'm 7 months pregnant and can't manage the mountains where they're hidden.

I'll look for anything. My problem is, I get too frustrated too easily. I could easily have DNFs in the double digits, but I don't log them for fear of looking like an idiot. We went out today and looked for one for the longest time, and ended up calling it quits. I'm reading the clues. Once I get within so many feet of a cache, I put the GPSr away and really start looking. But, come on, are these things so cleverly hidden that you need to find them by written invitation?

I'm sorry to complain so much, but it seems like there are two different categories of micros (*Ones You're Meant To Find* and *Ones You Aren't*), and we always seem to be looking for the second kind.

So, I guess the whole point of this is...does anyone have any practical pointers for scoping out well-hidden micros? I'm not about to give up geocaching, but I could sure use some encouragement. Thanks.

Paula :D

There have been some micros that have eaten our lunch. Heck, some regular ones as well. It gets a little frustrating when you dont find one but its all part of our game. All caches can be hidden very well, but micros can really be set out to be a challenge to find. If i dont find the cache within a fair amount of time, i step back, calm down, then take a look at my srurroundings. Try to think of how you might hide that cache there. Lots of trees then i concentrate on looking one way. I'll use another approach if manmade objects are in the area. And dont forget, not all micros are film canisters. Lots of variables so yes, they can be a booger. Just hang in there and you'll definitely get better at finding them!!!

Mainly Practice practice practice. Come back and try again.

I only give up if it is someplace I caan't get back to or I see the cache archived- OR if it is a micro in the woods. As soon as I find out that the micro I'm searching for is in thick brush, I'm outa there. I figure those kind are just a ridiculous waste of time. If they have led me to a neat place, they have accomplished their purpose. I take in the view and go look for something worthwhile. (I HATE it when they are part of a multi that way)

Finding them gets easier as you go along- MOST of the time.

We just passed on a MOC micro. It was in the woods near some dead trees and stumps. Everthing that was half rotted had the barked stripped.

We looked in a few spots but once it got down to the mass excavation and bark stripping to find it, it was time to move on. A clever hide interests me. A micro in the woods doesn't. Search and destory isn't a viable cache finding style.

I guess my advice is, if you are not having fun, don't be afraid to move on.

Edited by Renegade Knight
I get too frustrated too easily. I could easily have DNFs in the double digits, but I don't log them for fear of looking like an idiot.

I get frustrated easily, too.

I DO log my DNF's.... so if YOU don't log YOURS then I'm gonna be the ONLY

idiot out there!

:D

A lot of Micros are very hard for me to find. But if I found EVERY cache I went

after then the thrill of victory wouldn't be as sweet when I DO find one.

Good luck on your next cache, and congrats on the baby!!

We just passed on a MOC micro. It was in the woods near some dead trees and stumps. Everthing that was half rotted had the barked stripped.

We looked in a few spots but once it got down to the mass excavation and bark stripping to find it, it was time to move on. A clever hide interests me. A micro in the woods doesn't. Search and destory isn't a viable cache finding style.

I guess my advice is, if you are not having fun, don't be afraid to move on.

An MOC micro!?!? You're kidding, right? I don't know why that strikes me as funny but it does! LOL

I get too frustrated too easily. I could easily have DNFs in the double digits, but I don't log them for fear of looking like an idiot.

I get frustrated easily, too.

I DO log my DNF's.... so if YOU don't log YOURS then I'm gonna be the ONLY

idiot out there!

:rolleyes:

nobody can "search" for your DNFs so they'll just have to happen upon them by reading cache logs. you can't list a persons DNFs like you can their Fs.

go ahead and log the DNFs, it'll make it all that more special to log the find later on when you see all those purple faces trumped by a big yellow happy face on the cache page!

Good luck!

. I could easily have DNFs in the double digits, but I don't log them for fear of looking like an idiot.

You should log all your DNF's. They are part of the history of the cache, they give the cache owner feedback and let him know people are looking for the cache, they are often the best stories and they are nothing to be ashamed of. I have 70+ DNF's and I'm no idiot. Well maybe my teenage daughter and some people here may think I am, but I'm really not.

As far as pointers, I really can't help. I rarely go for micros, especially the ones that you aren't meant to find.

Edited by briansnat

One thing hasn't been mentioned yet. Don't forget to check the difficulty rating of the cache. That should help you weed out some of the harder to find ones that frustrate you (right now). Not everyone rates them accurate, but it's a good start.

* Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching. 

** Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting. 

*** Challenging. An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon.

**** Difficult. A real challenge for the experienced cache hunter - may require special skills or knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days / trips to complete. 

***** Extreme. A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache. 

Stick to the 2 star difficulty and lower ones.

I'd encourage you to log DNFs. While it may be uncomfortable to do so, it let's the cache owner know that someone didn't find it. The cache may be missing and if no one reports the DNF, it may be weeks before it gets replaced/archived. The next cachers spend their time looking for something that may not exist.

I'd encourage you to log DNFs. While it may be uncomfortable to do so, it let's the cache owner know that someone didn't find it. The cache may be missing and if no one reports the DNF, it may be weeks before it gets replaced/archived

Even if you think the DNF is because of your own ineptitude, rather than a missing cache, its still good to log the DNF. If the owner sees enough of them, he may decide to adjust the difficulty rating.

It's easy to fall into the slump of giving up if you don't find it right away. When we're out on a numbers binge, we often don't look closely enough and then get discouraged when we don't find it right away. Quite often, when we return it's hard to believe we missed it in the first place.

Contrary to what many people will say, I love going after a creatively hidden micro. And the most memorable finds for me are the ones where I have to make several trips before inspiration finally hits. The thrill of FINALLY finding them more than makes up for the frustration of not finding them earlier.

Different people have different levels of patience. The cache difficuly, terrain, container size, description, etc. are all there to help you decide if you want to look in the first place. Don't be afriad to move on to the next cache if you are not having fun. I have 257 DNFs logged and I proud of most of them. I had 7 DNFs on Sunday but I was still having fun. Some of my best log entries are DNFs. Just keep trying different types of caches and you will get the hang of which ones you will like before you go out. You will, over time, get better at finding a particular hider's caches as well.

--Marky

Different people have different levels of patience.  The cache difficuly, terrain, container size, description, etc. are all there to help you decide if you want to look in the first place.  Don't be afriad to move on to the next cache if you are not having fun.  I have 257 DNFs logged and I proud of most of them.  I had 7 DNFs on Sunday but I was still having fun.  Some of my best log entries are DNFs.  Just keep trying different types of caches and you will get the hang of which ones you will like before you go out.  You will, over time, get better at finding a particular hider's caches as well.

--Marky

I think you said it well, Marky! When caching stops being fun, we stop caching. There have been a couple of times where the frustration got to be too much and we called it quits and decided to get a fresh start some other time. Some of our most memorable adventures are DNF's.

Of course, 257 DNF's out of 2900+ finds is pretty darn respectable in my book. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I'm still pretty frustrated with myself for giving up so easily yesterday, but I'll just have to get out there and try again. That, and continue searching for traditional caches (that I can manage while pregnant) for more practice. Again, that's another frustration...wanting to get out and find them, yet not being able to deal with the terrain and heat in my current physical state. Guess I'm a bit impatient! Thankfully, while I realize that parenthood is a lifelong occupation, pregnancy is not, and I'll be able to get those more difficult caches in a few months' time.

Now it's just a matter of keeping my husband motivated enough to get out there with me! He's part of this team too, so that's important for me.

Thanks again everyone (for the baby wishes as well!),

Paula :rolleyes:

I'll look for anything. My problem is, I get too frustrated too easily. I could easily have DNFs in the double digits, but I don't log them for fear of looking like an idiot.

Don't be ashamed of logging a DNF. We all have them and it's no big deal.

By logging a DNF, you alert the cache owner to a potential problem.

For example, a cache of ours had one DNF logged. No problem, sometimes people just miss caches!

After four DNF logs, we went to see what the deal was. Guess what? The cache had been stolen! :rolleyes:

If no one had logged a DNF, I wouldn't have known there was a problem until my next maintenence visit.

DNF's are nothing to be ashamed of or get embarrassed over. It happens to all of us!

I know what you mean about logging the DNFs, I really do! I did log one because the previous cacher had logged one as well, and if it really was missing I thought the owner should know. And of course I went back the next day and found the cache (with help), so I felt like a heel.

The main reason I haven't logged any other DNFs is because I *know* they're there...they've been found right before I've been there, and they've been found again after I've left. It is me and my impatience and frustration that keeps me from finding them, and I just can't make myself log a DNF for that reason. Maybe that makes me a bad cacher, I don't know.

What we need is a good, experienced caching buddy who can help us out. The friend who introduced us to the sport, aside from hating micros, has already returned home after his visit, so I guess our best bet is to befriend the local community. Practice makes perfect...or at least, better!

Well, part of my team likes micros, the other part HATES them. So we try to do a good balance of traditionals AND micros when we go hunting on the weekends.

We will look for it without the hint for about 20 minutes. If we can't find it, we look at the hint and go from there. We will search for about one hour at the maximum. If we can't find it, we hang our heads, go home and log a DNF.

The next weekend we will go hunt for it again if it is nearby. Sometimes going back a second time and having a 'fresh' perspective helps a lot.

Don't be afraid to email the cache owner and tell them about the trouble you are having. They can at least verify it is still there and sometimes they will give you a hint or two.

I really hate to use the cliche, 'think like a cacher' but sometimes you have to look at the area and think, "Now where would *I* hide a cache in a place like this?". Sometimes, being in the right mindset will work wonders!

And hey, at least you don't run the risk of running out of caches to find that are easy for you right now! Just have a little patience, think like a cacher and find those micros!

And when your baby is born, you can make an account for him/her and the baby can have some early finds. How cool would that be to have finds when you were still in the womb? :rolleyes: Your new baby is going to have an advantage over all of us! :lol:

Good Luck! Don't give up!

Really, thank you so much for the encouragement! I know we'll get better with experience. Heck, we only have a handful of finds (and they're mostly mine, since my husband wasn't with me), so we can only get better at this point. We'll just have to put on the ol' caching cap and think like a cacher.

And patience! Must practice that, but it can be done.

I hadn't thought about making an account for the baby yet! That's pretty funny.

As a Noob myself I have logged DNF's if I will not be able to make it back to the cache and look again. I am in NC and have done caching in OH, KS and TN while traveling for work. Those that I have looked for and can not find I log as DNF's as I do not know if I will be back to the area any time soon. I should have done a DNF on the one micro that I found when I did not find it the first 2 times as it had gone missing in the times I was looking for it. I think the DNF's are good in that I have made decisions to not try a particular cache due to the number of DNF's as it probably will whip me for now I will try some of them once I get more under my belt.

Wrlwnd

I really hate to use the cliche, 'think like a cacher' but sometimes you have to look at the area and think, "Now where would *I* hide a cache in a place like this?".

Yeah, but sometimes you get a cache owner who says that to himself, then chooses the less than obvious spot.

to top it off....we've had some very sneaky and difficult micros in the past week or so. one of them I found by accident on my second try. niether was what might be considered a "traditional" micro container, adding to the difficulty. I consider them to be my most rewarding finds. :unsure:

Hey trgr...what micro did you think I was talking about?!? I almost emailed you and asked for a hint since I knew you found it! Of course it was *my* mistake for thinking we could handle a 5-star for difficulty, but still!

Hey, would you like to hide a cache together, or at least let us hide it knowing you'll adopt it? We need help picking a location. I know you mentioned it in another thread of mine, so please think about it. We won't be prepared to hide one until next month, so there's plenty of time. Take care,

Paula :unsure: