Meridian Color, Plat Or Garmin 60cs?

I am about to get my first GPS (I borrowed my friends Magellan 315 and sporttrack pro for all my caches so far) and want to get a good high quality unit. I am considering a color unit, unless the screens are of poor quality then I will get a Meridian platinum. My friend got a sporttrack color and after using it once returned it due to the poor resolution. I have never used Garmin products, only the Magellan 315 and the Sporttrack pro. I have larger hands so size doesnt matter, I actually prefer the meridian over the sporttrack series. I prefer the buttons on the bottom of the GPS unit that way the screen is always visible when anvigating through menus etc. Thats another reason why I didn't consider Garmin units until I ran across the 60cs. I know I prefer units with the built in compass as I have already used the compass feature on many geocaches, and am about to do several that require you to head on a bearing from a set of coordinates.

I do like the idea of being able to use sd cards in the meridians, and if needed having a few cards loaded with different maps. But I also have to wonder how much would that really needed to be used by the average geocacher?

Anyone with any experience with any of these? What are your thoughts? How does the quality of the color displays compare? How does the streets software from Magellan compare to Garmins? I know I can get a complete merdian color traveler kit for the same price as just the 60c and a couple accessories without garmins map software.

Thanks for the inputs.

Edited by Mechanics Hands

both companies make excellent hardware - in garminland stick to the 60 or 76 series for best overall caching performance with their quad helix antennas - all magellans use quad helix so take your pick there.

big difference in outdoor display quality between magellan meridian color and garmin's new color units. no comparison - garmin screens are vastly superior. go to a dealer where you can take both outside, turn off backlights and enjoy...

garmin's ecompass implementation on the 60 and 76's seems a little flaky in my experience - seems "sticky" somehow. even after careful calibration i find they are not especially responsive. i believe garmin may improve compass performance moving forward with future software updates.

i can't comment on mapping software for usa as much as i can for canada but so far as canada is concerned garmin's mapping is much, much better. topo is available and still nothing from magellan; hydrographic charting in my area is more complete and more up to date; street-level mapping is similar but other details like lakes etc is much more complete on garmin side.

you can't get a complete turn by turn solution for canada from magellan - directroute is very incomplete for canada. metroguide canada from garmin on the otherhand has very small towns in full detail and using the 60 or 76 you can have complete turn by turn right across canada. (edit - memory space in the 76c and cs at 115mb would get you a long ways)

my experience with us maps is that both companies are essentially at the "same place"...

Edited by Vlad

Based upon your comments, it appears price is not an issue. Spend an hour or so with a knowledgable sales person in a quality outlet (e.g REI) and run through all the features on each one. IMHO there isn't enough difference in the electronics or logical features of the top line models from either company. You'll find the greatest difference in size, weight, screen size, readibility, location and size of buttons and switches, etc. It's your decision; go for it.

We tried using a friend's Meridian color and wasn't too impressed with it. On the other hand , we have 2 Meridian Platinums and have had no problems with them, at all.

The compasses on the Platinums work great and we have never done a calibration on either one. Maybe we just got lucky in that respect.

The SD cards are great when you want to load all the PQ's coordinates, benchmark coordinates, maps, etc.

We have maps for the southern half of Utah, the southern half of Nevada, and 3/4 of Arizona, on the card plus PQ's for a half-dozen areas, and still have plenty of room on the card.

I read in the forums about the 'Meridian slingshot effect' and have no idea what they are talking about! We get an accurate read whether we are doing 70 mph or just standing still. We have never had the GPSr over-shoot the waypoint and have to backtrack.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

John

If you need an electronic compass, get the Platinum, or If you don't, get the 60C without the compass.

I like the 60C without the compass.

For just caching, i prefer the Platinum.

I do not like the Meridian Color's Display out in varied weather, and I do prefer the 60C's display for any weather. The 60C's Display fails to work well if it is bright outside and you are getting a reflection off the screen while driving, so it is best to Jack up the 60C's backlight to Full ON when driving even in the daytime sometimes.

The Platinum alone, will be an easy GPS, and a fun one for just caching, the others can be alot more involved with their Autorouting, wether Mapsend or Mapsource.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I have used them all,I think the meridian platinum is the most bang for the buck!The magellan units are built better and you can add more memory,which means more maps for more area's and all the magellan units have better reception!!The 60cs has a better display than the magellan color ,also it's too easy to scratch up the 60cs display because it is not recessed!

Edited by graldrich
it's too easy to scratch up the 60cs display because it has nothing protecting it!

I was mountain biking an event cache last Saturday. I tried to pull out my Meridian with one hand, and it flipped out of my gloved fingers. It skipped across the gravel rail road grade, and landed screen down. :D

I picked it up and there wasn't a mark on it. :D

The screen for the Meridian is nicely recessed.

it's too easy to scratch up the 60cs display because it has nothing protecting it!

I was mountain biking an event cache last Saturday. I tried to pull out my Meridian with one hand, and it flipped out of my gloved fingers. It skipped across the gravel rail road grade, and landed screen down. :D

I'd never leave home without a protective clear plastic overlay covering my Magellan Platinum screen. That's insurance for preventing screen scratches. You were extremely fortunate to have recovered your GPSr without a damaged screen.

I'd never leave home without a protective clear plastic overlay covering my Magellan Platinum screen. That's insurance for preventing screen scratches. You were extremely fortunate to have recovered your GPSr without a damaged screen.

I don't agree.

I cached with my Platinum for two years. It was dropped many times. Bounced across trails. Slid across my dash countless times.

When I sold it on Ebay it didn't have any scratches on it. The screen protector is not necessary.

thanks I really appreciate all the feedback with your experiences with each. With just moving to dallas and having over 700 caches within 25 miles of me I really want to get going but also want to make the right choice when spending so much money. now all I need is to find a place in the Ft Worth area (preferably but will drive into dalals if needed) to see both side by side.

Thanks again :-)