Unusual Animal Encounters

Alan2

Can someone help identify this snake? I found a cache and when logging it, someone who found it hours after me encountered this snake. I'd like to know it is what they say it is...

8eef47de-e5c5-4698-b4ea-3fc59190737b.jpg

That looks close to several species, but given your area I'm going with western fox snake.

It also looks close to a corn snake, maybe a hognose snake depending on how your local varieties appear. But if I was a betting man, I'd say western fox.

Elaphae vulpina (same genus as rat snakes).

Elaphe_vulpina_AR.jpg

Edit: This guy's hue looks more in tune with the specimen you saw.

vulpina6.JPG

While this didn't happen while geocaching it is a truely "Unusual Animal Encounter". Earlier this week I was driving to work with my brother when about 70 yards ahead of me, a black bear came running out into the road. I slowed down to a crawl, as did the car coming toward me, and watched as it crossed the road into the woods. Suddenly, my brother yelled "Look Out" and I looked ahead to see another very large bear run about 20 feet in front of me. The car coming toward me had stopped and the bear ran head first into the front fender of her car. It bounced off and then tried climbing over the hood until it slid off and continued on into the woods. I rolled down my window to make sure the woman in the car was OK and all she could say is "Do you believe that?" She was alright but her car had a couple good dents in it.

While out caching earlier this week, we were driving down a wooded road just a little way into the city. A raccoon came running out onto the street, stopping traffic both ways. He stared down my car and puffed up like he was going to try to charge a car! After about a full minute of this display, the crazy critter finally continued across the street. I was just glad we weren't out on foot at the time, as we had been with our 3 year old very near there just a few minutes previously.

Edited by FrozenFlame22

GCJBMV - WALKIN THE WALK

5/14/07

" ok. so, guess who i went out with tonight...yea, kevo. we're BFF4eva, LYLAS, SWAK...anwho...we went out tonight to snag a couple and decided to grab this one as the last time we tried, there was a HarCo. Deputy "writing reports" in the parking lot. we follow the gps and she's bouncing a little, but we're more or less used to that. whilst perusing the area, i decided to stand up on a fallen log to see if i can see better, or possibly get a better signal. as i stand up i use a nearby branch to steady myself...i am very, very clumsy sir. suddenly, and much to my dismay, a large, winged beast announces it's presence and what i can only conclude was a kamakize-esque offensive flight pattern, it sets it's sights on my face and charges...as i have no shame, and as i am want to do when attacked by large, unexpected winged beasts, i flail about and scream like a small child who'se pet goldfish has jumped out of the fishbowl...(ok, not the best analogy, but im trying here). anywho, as i am well versed in close quarters combat and defensive tactics, my manic-flailing and prepubescent yelping deters the assault and i run towards the light emmanating from kevo's flashlight...he knows jiu-jitsu. after a few minutes of shaking and recounting my encounter with the above mentioned winged beast, we manage to find the cache and head on out.

if only i had made this up. "

First, I'd like to say that I'm brand new to geocaching--this is my first post.

I was "attacked" by a little owl (screech owl) while searching for my first cache.

I've been searching for the cache that's closest to my house, in the woods a few block from my place. I went out last Friday (6/1) to try to find it--no luck.

Last night, my wife and I went for a walk. We went to the cache location, but it was too dark to really find anything. However, I did see the silhouette of a small owl on a branch about 15 ft. from us. Soon, I noticed at least 2 others chirping at each other a little further down the path. These were bigger than the one closest to us.

I tried making some screech owl hoots to draw them in (yes, I'm a bird geek). That seemed to get their attention. Then, I saw one of the bigger ones leave its perch--and a split second later, there was something coming right at my head! I instinctively flinched and my wife and I both yelled. She was able to see the whole thing, and she said it almost hit me right in the head! So, I stopped the hooting and just watched them.

There were at least 4 owls flying all around us--we could just see blurs moving through the trees. They seemed to be hunting insects or something. After a little while, I watched one of them stop and feed the first little owl that we had seen. It seems we had encountered a family of fledged owls.

I never was able to find the cache; it got too dark. Plus, I was afraid of getting dive-bombed again. :lol:

My 1st wildlife encounter cache-hunting. While out searching for a local cache, got to the cache site and (I know I shouldn't) was putting my hands in where I couldn't see them. Touched something furry and moving. Yep, scared me silly. Upon closer inspection, it was a mother duck on her nest. She didn't seem all that upset, but I left her alone & called it quits for the day. I'll be back for that one in a month or so when she's all done nesting. I always thought ducks nested ON a lakeshore, not back in the woods away from the lake...

Today I was caching in an area with a lot of cacti and from the looks of it, it seems a little bird flew right into a "Jumping Cholla" and impaled itself on the cacti spines. Gruesome, but quite amazing considering the bird's wings were at full spread as if it didnt see the cactus (or attempted to land on the cacti) and accidentaly killed itself. Wicked. Man I really wish I would have gotten a pic of it. I'm considering going back for a pic.

Today I was caching in an area with a lot of cacti and from the looks of it, it seems a little bird flew right into a "Jumping Cholla" and impaled itself on the cacti spines. Gruesome, but quite amazing considering the bird's wings were at full spread as if it didnt see the cactus (or attempted to land on the cacti) and accidentaly killed itself. Wicked. Man I really wish I would have gotten a pic of it. I'm considering going back for a pic.

Some small predatory birds (shrikes) store their prey (often some smaller birds) for later eating by sticking them on plant spines. It's probably what happened to the bird you saw. Good trick to stop other larger predators from stealing the prey... they don't want to stick their nose in the spines.

Yep. Our daughter is an environmental manager out on San Clemente Island (25 miles off the southern California coast), and they have endangered Loggerhead Shrikes out there. They also love to stick other small critters (lizzards, mice) on thorns & barbed wire. They save them for later chow times. They will also tuck them under car windshield wipes sometimes! Neat birds!

Some small predatory birds (shrikes) store their prey (often some smaller birds) for later eating by sticking them on plant spines. It's probably what happened to the bird you saw. Good trick to stop other larger predators from stealing the prey... they don't want to stick their nose in the spines.

I'm not aware of "shrikes". In AZ we have some falcon/hawk birds and owls in this area. You suggesting that a bigger bird put the little bird there to save for later? It's hard to believe considering the bird's wings were completely spread just as if it were flying right in to the bush. I need to back and grab a pic of it.

I'm not aware of "shrikes". In AZ we have some falcon/hawk birds and owls in this area. You suggesting that a bigger bird put the little bird there to save for later? It's hard to believe considering the bird's wings were completely spread just as if it were flying right in to the bush. I need to back and grab a pic of it.

OK I want to see this.

OK I want to see this.

I'll post a picture tonight.

Yep, probably a fox. Not Coyote, not bobcat. MIGHT be a dog (some dogs can look fairly fox-like).

I really wish there was time to get a picture of the bobcat that scared the bleep out of me today. Darn things leap and dash like the wind. I didn't even have time to scream before it was gone. Bobcat

Hey..I know that *normally* they're more afraid of YOU...but you just never know...and darn it I didn't even have any warning...except for the tracks that I convinced myself were from a dog. Stupid intuition...why do I ignore it when I'm hiking by myself?

Yep. Our daughter is an environmental manager out on San Clemente Island (25 miles off the southern California coast), and they have endangered Loggerhead Shrikes out there. They also love to stick other small critters (lizzards, mice) on thorns & barbed wire. They save them for later chow times. They will also tuck them under car windshield wipes sometimes! Neat birds!

:laughing: Ummm..ewwwwww! Thank goodness we don't have those around here....I hope.

OK I want to see this.

6gxueds.jpg

OK I want to see this.

6gxueds.jpg

Huh...looks like it landed a little shy of the target. :laughing:

:laughing: Ummm..ewwwwww! Thank goodness we don't have those around here....I hope.

Loggerhead Shrike, songbird gone bad...

Loggerhead Shrike, songbird gone bad...

:laughing::laughing:

OK, I finally organized my "Klemmer's Critters" photo pages. These are just some of the pictures of various animals I have come across in the last 5 years or so of hiking, biking, geocaching & benchmark hunting. There are two main pages, with two additional sub-albums (the first two "pictures" on page one are really sub-albums, just click on them). Click on the pics for bigger ones, and even again for full resolution. You can right click to download them, if you are so inclined. These are all ones I have taken, and you are welcome to use them for something, if you want.

The most recent encounter with Kitty (my bobcat buddy in Chino Hills State Park) last week got me inspired to link these all here. I've seen him (her?) at least three time before, but these are the first pictures I've gotten. The pictures were mostly all taken in southern or central California. Enjoy!

Last Saturday, tenacious_dml and I were on our way out from doing the Jefferson Notch Cache - GCH39E. We continued driving out along the road we came in on to see where it connected. The area is heavily wooded, and we saw a quick flash of a medium-sized critter with a lush black/brown coat and a long tail as he headed into the woods. Too big to be a cat, too small to be a dog... I'm sure it was a fisher! Having never seen one in person, and living in Manchester, NH where our new local baseball team is the NH Fisher Cats, I was amused to see one in person. He went by so quickly I didn't have a chance to grab my camera, but he looked like this:

Fisher_Cat.jpg

The road we were following ended up at the Mount Washington Cog Railway, where we saw a fox.

It was a good weekend for wildlife! In addition to these guys, we also saw a partridge and several moose.

Looks like it could be a Pine Martin to me. Do a Google on them and it looks much the same. It is not a Badger

We picked up a Steve Irwin Fundraiser geocoin whose goal was to get close to animals, so we took it to a local zoo. The owners were gracious enough to let me inside some of the habitats for photo-ops. Here are a couple of shots of the coin. The first and third shots are wolves and the center is a coyote.

5bf084f1-504d-4006-a554-ef595ffce104.jpg

023ec8fb-4e11-4af1-9614-28ceb867bd01.jpg

4fcd24bb-6a05-412d-9dd1-9b6b3f0cd470.jpg

Edited by Team LaLonde

I found this little guy on the 1 of May at GCP62F in Bavaria Germany he was not scared of me at all so i took

a moment to examin him and it looked as if he was examining

me also. I set him back on the Ground and he crwled back into

his little cave in a rock. B)

1eaea585-5045-4d56-a363-f24bd00ff599.jpg

While caching, I've run into more critters than I can count, from Black Bears to Moose. The camera isn't always ready, but below are the pics I managed to snap and post on GC...

A tree frog in Richmond VA

92895ac7-76d8-43b3-8221-f7b937ec74ce.jpg

This Bull was loose in CO, and he wouldn't let me out of the vehicle...

12828d61-2b3e-4f23-9c65-9513312771aa.jpg

Here are the first Mt Goats I ever saw, on Grays Peak CO.

8bee8404-85d2-4e82-84b9-9e6e76283d45.jpg

A big buck in Palmer Lake CO.

20e65ea2-1ec6-4d91-b7fc-2eb2e6827bb2.jpg

The cache guardian, Castle Rock CO.

a594f2db-fff8-4e16-a121-e5b7b3be96f9.jpg

I wasn't out caching, but I saw these in my back-yard yesterday before I revisited a local Earthcache B)

bobcats.JPG

I live in the city, not densely populated but surrounded mostly by housing, so I thought it was pretty unusual. I'm hoping mama has decided to not come back, but they certainly didn't seem too frightened of me - I went out and made lots of noise etc to make it seem a little less inviting for them. I guess I'll find out - at least they weren't there when I got home from work today.