Logging No Finds

Having failed to discover a few caches after a weekend away we have been busy logging "no finds" tonight. However we were wondering if other people always bother with them. Do other geocachers only record a "no find" if they genuinely think that the cache has gone missing or do they record it regardless? In our case I'm sure it was our own incompetence that resulted in us not finding some of them but nevertheless we added a log entry. However we noticed in one of the logs that some people had said that it was their second or third attempt but there were no corresponding earlier entries. What do other people do?

If I actually get to the area and start a search and not find it I will log a DNF.

However, there have been times when I have started off to X cache and gotten distracted (often by Y cache) I do not log it as a DNF because I never actually looked for it. There is 1 cache in particular I have headed for twice but circumstances have not let me within 1/2 mile of it. I will not log a DNF because I never looked for it.

DNF's help the owner of the cache know if there is a problem. So if you honestly gave it a good search then file the DNF. The cache is either very well hidden, missing or you might have put the co-ords in wrong. (Hubby did that last week, and luckily I had the sheet with us to double check the co-ords :D ) Hope this helps

We do the same as Mady, we always log a DNF if we actually searched for the cache but don't if we didn't get that far e.g. an unfinished multicache. It's not always easy to tell whether the reason you couldn't find it was the cache wasn't there or you were looking in the wrong place.

Even if you made a mistake, your log could provide useful info for the cache's owner - maybe he made it harder than it was intended to be or his description was misleading.

Lisa

As far as I see it, the protocol is as follows:

A DNF should only be logged if there is either a possibility of the cache being missing, or Information in your log will be pertinent to the cache owner or future cachers.

The reviewers get visibility of DNFs, and use this tool to judge if a cache is being maintained or not.

If the cacher has merely been distracted, or gave up due to not wanting to climb "THAT HILL" then a DNF should not be logged.

To date, I have logged one DNF for a cache that was still there, because the area appeared to be a popular make-out spot for teenagers and I wanted to warn others to avoid the spot during school off time.

I have also logged a handful of DNFs for incorrectly listed caches, that needed more than just the pages GSAK downloads to cachemate. This has resulted in the aformentioned caches being corrected.

All of the caches I have just not been able to find, have turned out to be missing, and I logged DNFs for them, which resulted in confirmation of their disapearance.

I have abandonned a couple of caches due to excessive muggles, or not having the cache sheet, these have not been logged

we always log DNFs as we believe it helps others - we use cachemate on a Sony PDA - we first use the cache description to try and find it, then if we need to we go thru the past logs, then fianally we may use the clue.

If there has been a lot of DNFs in the last few attempts we may give up easier than if their had been a found log in that last few days

we had a DNF yesterday at SP9

Also alot of DNF should trigger the owner to do a cache trip to check it

I confess I do not log all DNFs. I tend to only log when there is something worth saying, or there is the possibility of a missing cache. I have DNF to warn of dangers like a wasps nest in the location of the cache, and to warn that a parking place in the description is no longer there. In the latter case we never even got out of the car to look, we went to a cache nearby. I do not normally log DNF if I never really searched for the cache.

For example, I did not log a DNF for a cache I abandoned searching for as it was on a steep hillside, was very muddy, and it was pouring down with rain making footing very precarious. Warnings about wet weather were already in the description (it wasn't wet when I started!) so I would not have added anything, and I was not sure how close I had got to the cache before giving up anyhow.

If we found it we log a find.

If we couldnt find it we log a DNF.

If we gave up halfway through we log a note.

About the only thing people get back for placing a cache is a log so we always like to let people know that we have at least attempted a cache.

Generally our DNFs make for much more interesting logs than our founds and we log loads of them :rolleyes:

We did a multi recently where the generated numbers could not possibly have been right. Quite a few cachers before us had attempted it and guessed where the mistake was, but no one had mailed the owners to let them know. Once we mailed them they did their best to fix it - if you don't let them know of problems how can they fix it ?

Chris

I always log DNFs. I'm not sure quite how many there have been in the short while we have been caching but certainly half a dozen. My principal reason for logging them is to provide feedback to the owner of the cache. However, in instances where the DNF is attributable to me being a plonker, I feel that logging the DNF with relevant info can help other cachers not to make the same mistake ! I also had a recent DNF which prompted the cache owner to check the co-ordinates and it was discovered that en error had been made, so it does have a value.

For me, the most frustrating DNFs are those where for whatever reason, the accuracy of the GPS is limited so the owner provides a really decent photographic clue to assist - only I always forget to take it with me ! It happened a couple of weeks ago when we were looking for Seasider's 'High Birkwith'.........

I always log DNFs. I'm not sure quite how many there have been in the short while we have been caching but certainly half a dozen. My principal reason for logging them is to provide feedback to the owner of the cache. However, in instances where the DNF is attributable to me being a plonker, I feel that logging the DNF with relevant info can help other cachers not to make the same mistake ! I also had a recent DNF which prompted the cache owner to check the co-ordinates and it was discovered that en error had been made, so it does have a value.

For me, the most frustrating DNFs are those where for whatever reason, the accuracy of the GPS is limited so the owner provides a really decent photographic clue to assist - only I always forget to take it with me ! It happened a couple of weeks ago when we were looking for Seasider's 'High Birkwith'.........

Having failed to discover a few caches after a weekend away we have been busy logging "no finds" tonight.

Sorry you had a few DNFs on my Fylde Coast caches. Some of them are quite tricky and even the great Postie & Freemantle failed to find 3 of them!!

Last Friday I had the pleasure of watching the Harrogate Hunter & Weavey look for my caches - and very entertaining it was too!

The persistent blighters did manage to find them all....eventually....despite my best efforts to hinder them!! :rolleyes:

If you are ever in the area again then drop me an e-mail and i'll give you some more clues!

Cheers!

Seasider

I always log a DNF on the first attempt, after that I don't as most of the time it's just down to me being a muppet :rolleyes: on not finding the cache. I've got a couple of DNF that need a re visit, and 2 quite close together which have recieved 5 visits, I'll eventualy crack them :lol: (as others have found them quite easily, I told you I'm a muppet at times :)).

Dave :)

i had to log 2 dnf's over the weekend, one already had 3 so it was likely - the other one was found about 4 days ago but i couldn't find it. I did another one 2 weeks ago, the owner checked and couldn't find it either.....until he went back to replace it and found it where he had hidden it (and I've not gone back yet.)

Martyn B & April A wrote:

For me, the most frustrating DNFs are those where for whatever reason, the accuracy of the GPS is limited so the owner provides a really decent photographic clue to assist - only I always forget to take it with me !

I had one like that today at this cache.

If I set off on foot and don't find the cache I almost always log a DNF, whatever the reason for not finding it. The exceptions have been early attempts before I had a gpsr, and the occasion when I went back after a logged DNF on a micro stage of a multi and failed again.

If I've searched for a cache and didn't find it, I'll log a DNF and put it on my watch list. If it turns out that the cache is missing then that's fine and I'll ignore it. If the next cacher finds it and says how easy it was (which really pi**es me off :):) ) I'll go back at the next opportunity and have another go.

We log DNF if we have searched enough and are convinced that we cannot find it without additional hints (whatever they might be) or it might be missing. Sometimes it's needed several trips to cache area before giving up.

Edited by TeamMH

We too log DNF - I hope that reading these notes will encourage people to log DNFs and not feel any embarassment. Our notes have resulted in updates to some caches which all goes to make the sport more fun.

I also confess to emailing the owner or a succesful cacher if I feel desperate and cannot guess where we have gone wrong.

Peter