Need Help And Opinions

I have the basic yellow Garmin eTrex.

I am looking to buy a mount for my vehicle, yet I would like for it to be portable so I can use it in other vehicles.

I am looking at the Automotive Mounting Bracket , the Portable Friction Mount and the Automotive Windshield Mounting Bracket.

I have questions on each.

On the Automotive Mounting Bracket, I do not have a level enough dash to place this except on the passengers side of the dash and I don't think I would like it being so far over there. I also don't like the fact that it's either permanently mounted or using adhesive disks to remove it and having to buy more. I'm really not thinking this is the mount I want.

On the Portable Friction Mount, I am not sure if I am understanding this one. The description says, "For use with automotive mounting brackets". So does that mean I have to purchase the above Automotive Mounting Bracket in order to use this? I really can't tell from the picture how my Garmin is supposed to sit in this mount. If anyone uses one, can you tell me more about this one? Does it require another mounting bracket to use it? Nevermind answering this question. I found the answer on another page at Garmin.com It does require the purchase of the other bracket in order to use this one. CRAP!.

On the Automotive Windshield Mounting Bracket, this one sounds like what I really need. It would be portable and wouldn't require any permanent mounting to the dash or adhesive disks to buy. The thing I am wondering about this one though, is how many times it might fall from the windshield. Does it seem to have any problems holding when the windshield gets too hot or too cold?

Edited by PandyBat

We have a Magellan Meridian, we bought the swivel mount for it that attaches to your dashboard, however not wanting to drill holes in our dash I bought one of those sticky pads they sell in Wal-Mart. It is a small black rubber-like pad that has an adhesive quality without the glue.

I put that on our dash and set the swivel mount on top of it...works like a charm! It doesn't go anywhere as the car moves and it allows me to easily take the GPS off the dash when we get out of the car. :D

I had lots of problems with the windshield mounting bracket. I used it with my eMap a couple of years ago and sure enough, every morning I went to my car, the thing fell off and on to the floor. Luckily the GPS wasn't attached when it fell but still...

And yes I did clean the windshield area with rubbing alcohol and all that sort of stuff.... wet the suction cup... Still no good though.

I use a dash mounted version now with my V and its great! I've got the temporary pad on there and it holds like cement!

Here's another vote for RAM. They're a little more expensive, but high quality and very flexible in multiple settings. I use one with the 4" suction cup for all our cars, and I have the u-bolt for using it on my bike.

The RAM web page can be confusing, though. I'd suggest GPSCity, who has organized the many options well. Try this page for the suction cup package, or this one for all their etrex packages.

(To give you the RAM overview: you need a holder specific to your GPS model, some sort of mount that suctions, screws, or clamps to a surface, and a connecotr thingee to join the two. The thingee is a spring-loaded clamp that grabs on to round ball-like knobs on the holder and the mount itself.)

If you end up upgrading your GPS, you just buy a new holder and continue using all the other components.

I have a windshield mount from Gomadic, and it works well, but I seldom use it. What I've gone to is a homemade mount that sits in a cupholder. I use an external reradiating antenna, so I don't need to keep the GPS in the windshield. I went to a home improvement store and bought a 45 degree PVC hub/hub elbow, with a cap. I had a 1/2" thick piece of rubber available, and I attached it to the other end with RTV. I got a cheap cell phone holder and attached it to the cap with heavy duty mounting tape, stuck it in the cup holder, and the GPS is right beside my knee, at the perfect angle to see it clearly. I use the Gomadic mount to hold my Palm when I use it for driving directions. There is a long, long thread somewhere on the Groundspeak forums about mounts, and probably more than one. I'm just too lazy to search them up right now.