Free Trial Offer!!!!!

BeadBoy

I had an idea that might boost premium membership a 5 or 7 day free trial of the pocket querie generator. I am not a premium member so if there is something i'm not aware of that would make this impossible please let me know. You could only do it once per account which would lead to a few sock puppets but thats ok as long as it boosts membership please give me your feedback on this idea.

Happy caching (errr typing). :D

http://www.geocaching.com/my/subscription.aspx

See "Change your forum title"

Eh??

All I can tell you is the way it is. In the past you could not do that. Recently it changed so that you can. Maybe TPTB will want to change that back now that it has been noticed. Puppymonster is not a premium member.

OOH! SOCK PUPPET!

Not a sock puppet at all. He loves to go out geocaching with me. He has helped me hide several of my caches.

Keep in mind that all posts after the first post have been off topic. Jeremy can make a decision to fix the forum title issue in due time.

Beadboy, your idea is an interesting one. The sock puppet account issue to skirt the test run is a good one to consider. Maybe if it were available after a certain number of finds, like 10 or 25 or something.

Beadboy, your idea is an interesting one. The sock puppet account issue to skirt the test run is a good one to consider. Maybe if it were available after a certain number of finds, like 10 or 25 or something.

That wouldn't work either....there would have to be some kind of IP logging to limit it. I mean, how hard would it be to pick 10 or 25 or more caches and quickly log finds on them with a sock puppet account? People already do that with their primary accounts.........

Unless you are in an area that gets new caches placed quite frequently, you could run a pocket query and print off all the caches in one fell swoop and never need to use it again for a while.

Imagine the server problems should there be a free trial opened up.

Well, for me, the PQ's aren't that useful. If I weren't already a premium member, PQ's sure wouldn't be the incentive I'd need to become a member. In fact, aside from helping the site financially, there really isn't much about a premium membership that would drive me to become a premium member. Just no "wow" factor in what's offered to premium members. I will continue to subscribe as my way of giving back to the site and other users, but it wouldn't phase me if all the current premium features were taken away. But, again, that's just my opinion. I know there are others who couldn't live without PQ's and MOC's and unlimited caches on their watch-lists........

Well, for me, the PQ's aren't that useful. If I weren't already a premium member, PQ's sure wouldn't be the incentive I'd need to become a member. In fact, aside from helping the site financially, there really isn't much about a premium membership that would drive me to become a premium member. Just no "wow" factor in what's offered to premium members. I will continue to subscribe as my way of giving back to the site and other users, but it wouldn't phase me if all the current premium features were taken away. But, again, that's just my opinion. I know there are others who couldn't live without PQ's and MOC's and unlimited caches on their watch-lists........

I've got to agree with Sparky. (Aw, geez, and the shrink said I was cured! I guess he was wrong.)

I don't use any of my benefits. I joined to support the site.

Just out of curiousity, are there any stats available about how many of the premium members use the pocket queries?

To combat the sock puppet problem, maybe just offer the free PQ test a couple of times a year for 1 week? It would be easy to track the number of new memberships after that to see if it works. Kind of like the free HBO and Showtime offers a couple of times a year to get people hooked.

Crikey! Isn't $3 cheap enough?

Kinda what I was thinking......but let me clarify, I don't mean to sound unappreciative of the special features for members, just that I really don't use them that much, and don't really need them. The only one I really use but could still do without is the unlimited watchlist......

no PDA so i don't use the PQ's at all. i just pay to help the site. 30 dollars is cheap.

Crikey! Isn't $3 cheap enough?

Initially, I thought it was an offer; then I realized it was a typo.

At least I THINK it was a typo.

Seems to me that anyone reading about premium membership perks should be able to see the value (or not) of PQ's and other stuff. Don't see any need to entice premium members by giving them a one time free-be on the PQ.

Like some others in this thread, I joined the help keep this sport alive. I didn't join for the perks (although I do enjoy them, and I run a local PQ twice a week cuz there's lots of activity within fifty miles of here).

$3 is NOT a TYPO. You only need to sign up for 1 month at $3/month to find out if you can't live without the features. I for one would scream bloody murder if PQ's went away. I have saved a lot of trees by using them B)

But then there are those that won't pay for a service no matter how valuable it is to them :D

edit: fixed a typo

Edited by pdxmarathonman
no PDA so i don't use the PQ's at all. i just pay to help the site. 30 dollars is cheap.

I'd like to point out that you don't need a PDA to use the Pocket Queries. They are also useful to download a whole slew of waypoints into your GPS, without being limited to downloading only 20 at a time. Combined with Spinner or GSAK, you can even modify the waypoint names and icons for different cache types so your GPS alone can provide much more info.

I don't see how anyone caches effectively without PQ's. I load everything within 100 miles of my house and then anywhere I go I have caches to look for. Same thing when I go on the road, set the parameters for what I want to look for, get the query and all of a sudden I have 500 things to do while i am in a strange town. I use them on my pda, on my laptop and even my desktop so I can keep up with what is new in the area or just look around without being online. I have been known to read cache pages on my laptop while waiting for appointments and the such. PQ's are the only way to hunt, and would be a bargain at twice the price.

Even if you don't have a gpx file emailed to you, PQs are great. You can build a PQ of the types of caches you like best and run it live.

Let's say you hate all the easy micros scattered about. You could build 2 PQs. The first would be of all caches in your area except micros. The second would be all micros in your area with a difficulty greater than 1.5. Voila, no more wandering about Wal-Mart's parking lot molesting the light poles.

PQ's are nice to have the contents of a cache info page local for me. As someone said, saves trees. PQ's are also handy to keep up to date on newly placed caches. I pay to contribute and keep the sport alive though. I pay alot of places just to support them, so its all the same to me. Goofy things I wouldn't mind seeing for paying member's could be Bumper stickers of some kind, awards for XX number of caches found and perhaps trophies for XXX+ found or something goofy, Tshirts may be a bit pricey, and finally a free raffle like annually or something of some kind of Geocacing item of a preset value. Basically you're looking for something to keep you interested in the sport when you pay to support beyond freely partaking. Since the sport itself is free and functions are usually never looked upon as perks, you have to look at geeky items to make others aware of the sport and how geeky you are.

Eh??

All I can tell you is the way it is. In the past you could not do that. Recently it changed so that you can. Maybe TPTB will want to change that back now that it has been noticed. Puppymonster is not a premium member.

OOH! SOCK PUPPET!

Not a sock puppet at all. He loves to go out geocaching with me. He has helped me hide several of my caches.

Keep in mind that all posts after the first post have been off topic. Jeremy can make a decision to fix the forum title issue in due time.

no finds, no hides posting in the forums...sock puppet.

i was just kidding, you know.

Thanks for all the input I just wanted to know what people thought about it I probably will become a premium member anyway soon for the same reason as everyone (almost) else to support the site.

Edited by BeadBoy

Eh??

OOH! SOCK PUPPET!

no finds, no hides posting in the forums...sock puppet.

i was just kidding, you know.

I know you were kidding. Some people may not know that.

Looks like he decided to become a Premium Member though! :)

I would agree that $3.00 to test the features of the site is very cheap. I love my pocket queries and feel they save me way more than $3.00 per month based on the time savings that allows me to do other productive things. I am averaging 30 caches per month right now and at $0.05 per sheet that is $1.50 in paper and ink alone. I don't have to do much planning -- I just load the caches into Mapsource, I pick an area that looks good and off I go. For me with a PDA, the PQ is the only way to go. I also like that it helps the site too.