Sony Clie Or Palm

My venerable old Sony Clie SJ22 finally died today after some pretty hard service. Anyway, i am trying to decide if I want to stay with Sony, or switch to a "real" Palm device. I am definitely sticking with the Palm OS though (No way I am wasting that $7.00 I spent on Cachemate! :blink: ).

Any suggestions or which brand has served you well and why, or which model you prefer would be much appreciated. This is my every day PDA as well as my paperless 'caching tool.. Thanks all!

The cheaper models like my Palm m130 can be very fragile. Mine is all split out in the case, on the rear side of the unit, and I have not been rough with the PDA either. I bought a Sony Clie SJ-20 for my sister.

Would be neat if you were able to get a direct replacement for your PDA, for a $100 or so.

When you shop for a new PDA, watch for what models have a serial port. Many units have a "universal" port meaning that you can get a serial cable for it. (The SJ22 was like that - it came with USB but you could get a serial cable.) But some of the newest ones only have USB. Some of the Tungstens are like that. If you don't have a serial port, you can't connect to a GPS (unless both are bluetooth) and you'll loose some CacheMate functionality.

All in all, you might be better off getting a "beater" to be your CacheMate device and let the new expensive toy live a little more sheltered life.

I have a Palm m500 and a Dell Axim (Dell is through work). I prefer the Palm.

I will have to check out cachemate - I just bought a GPS (76CS) and am new to the geocache and the tools to use with it.

There are some sweet new phones out that run palm OS.

Quality is one of my concerns. I was looking at the Tungsten T3 yesterday, but the quality of the case left a lot to be desired. For $600 I want a little more than cheap plastic. As for the serial port, not a huge concern of mine. I have never found that I really wanted to connect the two...

I have used a Sony PEG-SJ20 and had great success with it. Combined with a cable to connect the SJ20 to my MeriPlat, they were inseperable, so to speak. I have sense upgraded to a Sony Clie TH55, but my wife still uses an SJ20 with my daughter's Geko201.

You can spick up the SJ20, which has a GREAT screen for using outdoors in the bright sunlight, on eBay for less than $60.

Kayakanimal have you ever linked up your Zire 71 with your gps and used it that way? Oh kayaking is just about the best way to hit those watter lovin caches eh.

Im in a perception and you should se the funny looks we get around here in New Mexico with our sea kayaks

Zire 71

1. BEST screen around!

2. ok camera (pretty good for posting pictures to gc.com)

3. about 160.00!

I love mine. Yes...Cachemate ALL THE WAY!!!

I just bought my wife a Zire 72, and that thing is fantastic so far..... definitely not a toy, and the price is not bad, considering all the features...... makes my m515 look like a rank amateur PDA :) .

Personally, I love my Treo 270 smartphone. I would love to upgrade to the 600 but I'm not willing to pay the current prices.

Note that Sony just announced that they are discontinuing the Clie series in the USA. You might be able to find a good deal, or you might want to go with a Palm to stay with the main company.

And if you have money to burn, maybe you could get an iQue... ;)

As Palm seem detirmined to create a new generation of machines every 18 months I am not sure if there is any advantage.

In the three years since I got my first Palm they have dropped the III/V series for the m series, then dropped them for the T/Z series. As they do not even maintain hardware compatabuility across ranges (m105 not compatable with m130 for example or T/E not having serial etc) it is very confusing.

Note that Sony just announced that they are discontinuing the Clie series in the USA. You might be able to find a good deal, or you might want to go with a Palm to stay with the main company.

Just wanted to "second" the advice. Sony is pulling out. They won't be introducing any new models in the US so when the current run ends, that's it. From what I understand they won't be dropping right way but look for the closeouts come late summer or fall.

I've noticed some posts where people have bought used $150 PocketPCs and been happy with them. It's possible that the tide is just starting to turn against Palm and to the great Juggernaut. It might be worth picking up some demo units at the store and seeing how they work. Since I think Graffiti II is Jot (gag - you have to dot your I's and cross your T's - literally), the same as PocketPC, I think of the major differences between the units is gone.

Edited by GeckoGeek

The reason I'm sticking with Palm is that:

1. I really love having a smartphone, and the current Windows smartphones are either too large or not powerful enough. The Treo is just about right.

2. There is a ton of Palm software that I depend on, some of which are not available at all for the PocketPC.

I wouldn't buy a Clie unless I could get a great deal on the device and all the extra chargers, cases, etc. that I would need.

Kayakanimal have you ever linked up your Zire 71 with your gps and used it that way? Oh kayaking is just about the best way to hit those watter lovin caches eh.

Im in a perception and you should se the funny looks we get around here in New Mexico with our sea kayaks

Yes...often. Am going out of town this weekend and will use palm for pictures, cachemate and Mapopolis.

It is a GREAT tool! :lol: