Banning A Cacher?

If many cachers are having issues with another cacher in the area, is there a procedure for reporting that cacher and having them banned from GC.com? I don't actually see a "Terms of Service" around here. I'm wondering if such a thing exists so I can see if it's justified to take the complaints to TPTB.

What can Groundspeak do? They call it our game, with their rules. Truth be told, it's all our game, not much the little rules or approvers can do about that, a plus for them is the traffic to this site as opposed to navicache, etc.

You can ban someone from the forums, from the site even, but not completely.

I don't know what the problem is, or eho causes it, etc, but the best thing to do is try to ignore it. It is just a game, after all, take your ball and go home.

Well let me ask the question a different way...

What could a person do that would lead to you to conclude "they should have their GC.com terminated." ??

I know it's happened to cachers before so something must fall on the banning list.

Sometimes the easiest solution to a problem is to get rid of the offender. However the best solution might be to see if you can solve the problem with the offender. There are two sides to every story.

Reach out and see where it takes you.

El Diablo

If many cachers are having issues with another cacher in the area, is there a procedure for reporting that cacher and having them banned from GC.com? I don't actually see a "Terms of Service" around here. I'm wondering if such a thing exists so I can see if it's justified to take the complaints to TPTB.

I would contact TPTB at Geocache.com and tell them the problem, they will take it from there. A person can be banned from Groundspeak Forums (throught their ISP), and have their account purged from Geocache.com. But, they can still view the sites, just not post to them. If they are bent on a destructive course, banning will not stop them.

What could a person do that would lead to you to conclude "they should have their GC.com terminated." ??

I know it's happened to cachers before so something must fall on the banning list.

Placing lousy caches - no

Making unfair trades - no

Stealing caches and contents - yes

Vandalizing caches - yes

Placing spoilers in logs - no (but somebody should slap them)

Using the website's mail system to send vulgar or harrassing e-mails to other geocachers - yes

Leaving caches exposed - no (but somebody should slap them)

Moving caches to a "better spot" - no (but somebody should slap them)

Being overly critical of caches and contents in the logs - No (but somebody should give them a wedgie)

Vandalizing caches - yes

Using the website's mail system to send vulgar or harrassing e-mails to other geocachers - yes

Being overly critical of caches and contents in the logs - No (but somebody should give them a wedgie)

Brian as an approver I have one question.

The wedgie, is it normal or atomic?

Repeatly doing something bad, that shouldn't be done. Especially if they've been warned already, but thats not necessary. (ie: stealing caches, spaming people, threating people /vulgar messages, etc.)

If your considering this question, have you contacted your nearest approver? or Groundspeak? Depending on what is going on, you may want start recording the problems so there is a record...

Oh, and I haven't read it all, but this thread, 'Banned Memberships' seems to follow the same question.

Briansnat wrote:

That is now being referred to as being "degoratory," after Spiderman719 made a simple mispelling and Riddlers and I jumped all over it. I think Riddlers put it in the glossary.

If the term fits, use it! B)

I love your summary of the rules, and appropriate punishments for breaking them.

Cave Troll and Joan wrote:

Wedgies make me go

Not that I've had one in a long time

My puppy gave me one while I cleaned under my sink yesterday. Just normal, not atomic, but let me tell you, they're no more fun now than they were as a freshman in high school.

I was small in high school, and got picked on so much I learned to sew breakaway waistbands on my Fruit of the Looms. I tried to get that company to buy the idea from me, but they thought it was "nerdy" and said it was no wonder I got wedgies at school.

Just a small slice of my childhood for everyone's amusement! :D

Repeatly doing something bad, that shouldn't be done. Especially if they've been warned already, but thats not necessary. (ie: stealing caches, spaming people, threating people /vulgar messages, etc.)

If your considering this question, have you contacted your nearest approver? or Groundspeak? Depending on what is going on, you may want start recording the problems so there is a record...

Oh, and I haven't read it all, but this thread, 'Banned Memberships' seems to follow the same question.

Some of this particular cacher's specific actions that I consider problematic...

a ) Removing a cache without consent of the cache owner

b ) Providing names and phone numbers of other users to a telemarketer for the purpose of commercial solicitation

c ) Derogatory comments regarding other cachers and caches on the cache pages

Of the above, only ( c ) seems like something I could live with, though not approve of.

a ) Removing a cache without consent of the cache owner

b ) Providing names and phone numbers of other users to a telemarketer for the purpose of commercial solicitation

c ) Derogatory comments regarding other cachers and caches on the cache pages

Of the above, only ( c ) seems like something I could live with, though not approve of.

A. Could certainly cause problems, but I could see it happening. (On RR tracks, in NPS area, other big no no's... of course they need to return the stuff to the owner). And if it was just 'i didn't like you/your cache so I threw it away', thats definently not ok. It depends on the situation.

B. Spammers should be (dang forum usage guidelines).

Does this person actually admit to having done this?

C. Saying 'your cache is lame' is very mean, but IMO not something you'll get banned over. Everyone will however realize your an a**. Swearing/threatening someone in the log would be a quick way to get banned.

Or at least thats how I see it.

a )  Removing a cache without consent of the cache owner

b )  Providing names and phone numbers of other users to a telemarketer for the purpose of commercial solicitation

c )  Derogatory comments regarding other cachers and caches on the cache pages

Of the above, only ( c )  seems like something I could live with, though not approve of.

A. Could certainly cause problems, but I could see it happening. (On RR tracks, in NPS area, other big no no's... of course they need to return the stuff to the owner). And if it was just 'i didn't like you/your cache so I threw it away', thats definently not ok. It depends on the situation.

B. Spammers should be (dang forum usage guidelines).

Does this person actually admit to having done this?

C. Saying 'your cache is lame' is very mean, but IMO not something you'll get banned over. Everyone will however realize your an a**. Swearing/threatening someone in the log would be a quick way to get banned.

Or at least thats how I see it.

Yes, he admits to having provided a name and phone number of at least two other cachers, who received unsoliticed phone calls. There may of course be more, but two is how many he's gotten caught for so far.

He also feels, and I quote him from an email in our local geocaching group where he got caught, "I did not believe what I did was wrong."

Vandalizing caches - yes

Spamming users with fake surveys - yes